LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

Willis is tied for 17th in the NFL for tackles (wtf?)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by Chief:
He has been honestly, playing like a scrub.

Not sure why, but he has looked slow and out of place the past two games. Maybe he is no good in early east coast games, maybe he got his money and is done, maybe he is dealing with injury, maybe he is fed up, maybe, what if, who knows?

I hope it changes soon and we get our LB back or we are f**ked.

maybe you are a moron that doesnt devserve to have an opinion

lol!

Sweet, thanks for the personal attack. Did you even read my post? You don't think he has been playing bad the past 2 games?

Also Maniac, I think Willis will be fine, he is my favorite player on this team. I just have not seen the same guy the past two weeks.

You made my rainbow melt with your harsh words, now my day is ruiner, I have the upsets.
Tackles don't mean s**t. He is not having the usual impact on the defense but he is still playing better than most MLB's. Teams are goin. Away from him which is showing mad respect but its now up to manusky to find ways to get him more involved by moving him around.
Tackles isn't an official NFL stat.

every team records their own tackles. So all the people that are above him with all the "assisted tackles" I take with a grain of salt because that could mean that he simply jumped near the pile towards the end of the play.

The only thing to really look at is solo tackles, which Willis is 7th in. I'll take that for only 4 games, because everybody here knows that he's got a couple 12/13/14 tackle games in him.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by boast:
he's been dealing with a knee injury. i bet it's a little more serious than has been reported.

that's not it. Everyone watch the games carefully watch how teams are running a lot of their plays away from him. KC did it to perfection, ATL did it to a lot. He'll get going, he's still all over the place

Yeah, KC did a great job staying away from him. People will follow that plan of action.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Let me guess, it's Alex Smith's fault!

Probably...

What's the time of possesion difference this year from last year..
But i mean really is this soo shocking. In dozens of other threads they are saying how the D is doing real good, this is good, thats good, and most agree that our STAR on defense has yet to play like himself.

Well the star aint even playing to his potential, yet, when some point out the D's faults it reverts back to Smith and the O.

It just seems that regardless of the O, the staple that we had for soo many years, is starting to fall back instead of gaining ground.
  • dj43
Offenses have studied the 49er defense over the off-season and realized that everything they do is designed to free Willis to roam to make plays. As a counter to that, offenses are running a variety of screens and misdirection plays that shield him or just delay him from having the same kind of room to run he had last year. KC did that very well and it looked like Atlanta used some of the same stuff last Sunday.

Now it is up to Manusky to counter that by changing the role of Spikes/Bowman. I believe they need to get away from the "defensive fullback" role that Spikes has been playing. Instead of always having him take on blockers, allow him to run to make the plays. Of course that may mean that Bowman wins the starting assignment because Spikes does not have the speed he once had.

Also, as others have suggested, Willis may be somewhat bothered by his knee, IDK.

Willis will be fine but Manusky needs to tweak the LB play a bit to catch up to what opponents are doing with Willis.
Bust.
It's all about the guys upfront. The d line hasn't played as well this year thus not keeping those big guys off of Willis. I think that knee injury is affecting him as well. when Peyton Manning came back from that surgery he started off slow the 1st few games.

Not to mention the tackle stat doens't reflect how good he is playing. Just like when he led the league in tackles that was vastly overrated. Clay Matthews isn't in the top 20 in tackles so is he having a bad year? Urlacher, Ray Lewis, and James Harrison aren't in the top 20 either so i guess they are all having a bad year? the problem is playing in a 3-4 Willis rarely gets to make plays like he would be able to as a 4-3 MLB'er so folks want to cling to tackles. Manusky needs to use him more in blitzes. It's amazing we have him and instead of being aggressive with him they are more passive with him. Look how they used him in the Saints game vs the other 3 games.
[ Edited by lamontb on Oct 6, 2010 at 9:52 AM ]

when every pass is made by recievers down the field against our Db's its hard for our LB to have tackles, perfect example, mays had 11 tackles the last game
  • HIMYM
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Let me guess, it's Alex Smith's fault!

Lmao
Taylor Mays had 11 tackles in his first game and he's relying on speed right now. When he gets comfortable with the defense, he'll be making alot more. Expect Willis' tackles to steadily decline...
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lamontb:
It's all about the guys upfront. The d line hasn't played as well this year thus not keeping those big guys off of Willis. I think that knee injury is affecting him as well. when Peyton Manning came back from that surgery he started off slow the 1st few games.

Not to mention the tackle stat doens't reflect how good he is playing. Just like when he led the league in tackles that was vastly overrated. Clay Matthews isn't in the top 20 in tackles so is he having a bad year? Urlacher, Ray Lewis, and James Harrison aren't in the top 20 either so i guess they are all having a bad year? the problem is playing in a 3-4 Willis rarely gets to make plays like he would be able to as a 4-3 MLB'er so folks want to cling to tackles. Manusky needs to use him more in blitzes. It's amazing we have him and instead of being aggressive with him they are more passive with him. Look how they used him in the Saints game vs the other 3 games.

Clay Matthews is a stud that is leading the leagues in sacks. You never have someone who both leads the leagues in sacks and tackles. It's one or the other, and it usually based on your position.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
repeat post - ignore
[ Edited by Shaj on Oct 6, 2010 at 10:12 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone