LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 320 users in the forums

Another head scratcher. Answer me this.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by rawdel:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I did not like that move either. Brown should've been on Harry Douglas.

Regardless, we ABSOLUTELY need to draft a CB. I'm confident Philip Adams will develop into a competent nickel CB in time, but we don't have the time nor luxury of waiting and hoping in his development. We could have a great CB corps if we added a great young corner with Clements, Spencer, and Adams.

Hopefully Will James can come back well from his ankle injury this coming week and provide further depth at corner.

Eric Wright is a free agent this offseason

an upgrade to the dumptrucks we have... but adams is a rookie, i still like him.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
He's our fastest CB. And there you go.
Well our fastest CB gets beat week after week and there you go.

You asked.

Exactly. Having great ball-skill and whatnot does you nothing if the guy you're covering blows by you. The better Q would be "where was the pass-rush when we needed it most?"
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Because Browns speed matches Whites speed, and Spencer was on Finneran who is 6'5" and isn't that much of a mismatch to Browns 5'10".

Yup. The match ups were fine. The main problem was that the D was exhausted by back to back series of hurry up football interspersed by a big honking wind sprint between the two series. I don't think they do anything that sadistic even on training camp hell days.

There's a very good reason why so many games end on a field goal attempt. The offense if playing four down football, the defense is worn down and tired, and the offense has had the benefit of running an entire game's worth of trial and error against the D. Subsequently, it's often a lot easier to get into field goal range on the last series than it is to get a first down on the first series of the game.

The defense played quite well, considering the circumstances, against an excellent Atlanta offense.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Oct 4, 2010 at 12:18 AM ]
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Because Browns speed matches Whites speed, and Spencer was on Finneran who is 6'5" and isn't that much of a mismatch to Browns 5'10".

Yup. The match ups were fine. The main problem was that the D was exhausted by back to back series of hurry up football interspersed by a big honking wind sprint between the two series.

There's a very good reason why so many games end on a field goal attempt. The offense if playing four down football, the defense is worn down and tired, and the offense has had the benefit of running an entire game's worth of trial and error against the D. Subsequently, it's often a lot easier to get into field goal range on the last series than it is to get a first down on the first series of the game.

The defense played quite well, considering the circumstances, against an excellent Atlanta offense.

Good way to put it. Well said!
botched edit.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Oct 4, 2010 at 12:16 AM ]
With the game on the line why do we put Terrell Brown, our worst CB, on Roddy White? Don't we pay Nate the type of money to cover guys like this? Hell if not that, then why couldn't we put Spencer on their best WR? gah

Because we were running a 2 deep look combo coverage with an underneath lurk (a guy that spies the qb in the secondary). If you bracket a receiver, in theory, the lurk should be able to get underneath the route and have a chance for a pick. The way to beat a lurk coverage is to get deeper than the spy. This can only be accomplished if the pass rush is effectively contained.

In short, it was a good call (which is why Nate got a pick the first time they called it) but it wasn't executed well enough to stop a deep corner route. Basically, you are hating on one guy for a team wide failure to execute.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

Yup. The match ups were fine. The main problem was that the D was exhausted by back to back series of hurry up football interspersed by a big honking wind sprint between the two series. I don't think they do anything that sadistic even on training camp hell days.

Brown doesn't match his speed because he got burned. I'm tired of the excuses. Bottom line, they let down at the end, again, for a game-winning drive. Playcalling by Manusky sucks; I'm so upset at that 3-man rush on that 3rd and 15 in their own endzone at the end of the game; one of the worst calls in years.
So you guys would play Brown over Clements there again if the scenario came up again?

Brown is always getting burned every week.

sigh I guess our draft needs look like

QB
CB
DE

I like this draft
Tarrel brown is the fastest but always gets burned b/c he has the agility of an ox.
Originally posted by kstolai:
So you guys would play Brown over Clements there again if the scenario came up again?

Brown is always getting burned every week.

sigh I guess our draft needs look like

QB
CB
DE

I like this draft

Can we draft a new coaching staff while we're at it?

Look guys, with a HC who is completely out of his league and shows it one week after another, let's look at the bright side. We needed an OL . Okay, we got it, and we needed it worse than anything else. Okay, it was drafted at the expense of the D. But now we can draft for D, and DBs, corners and passrush are at top of list. Unlike others, i don't care about the QB muffs, because i still maintain bigmikeBM) has been micromanaging and has been calling not only O calls but D calls.

Anyone remember , frank rt, frank left, frank up the middle in ATL? That is right out of BMs playbook. 3 yds and a cloud of dust...or mud..or astroturf. Our immediate problem is playcalling, esp in critical situations, and that is when BM jumps in and muddles it up...both O and D. So even tho OL is fixed, BM is so behind times he has no idea of what to do with it, and on D, we do fine until it gets gutty, and BM then goes Prevent D. Anybody want to go back and see how many times that happened? I can tell you, it is lots.

As for who covers who, if manusk were totally free to call D, i believe this team would be way better than now. But i believe BM is and has been calling the D, especially when the game gets close, and BM is a prevent D man...all the way. FIRE BM and then see how we play D. My bet is 100% better than we are doing right now. You folks who think manusk is calling plays? Hah! I think he is calling them with one hand tied behind his back, and BM is beaming them in. Fix that, fire BM and THEN let's see how our D plays...a helluva lot better than now.
Answer me this. What's the difference in the playcalling between Mike Johnson and Jimmy Raye??? They both seem to jack their meat to the draw.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Answer me this. What's the difference in the playcalling between Mike Johnson and Jimmy Raye??? They both seem to jack their meat to the draw.

it's his first game as OC. HE'll need some time to get into the swing of things. I'm sure this week it was all Jimmy Raye plays.
First, we should have never been in that situation if Clements runs out of bounds.

Second, with the pass that was thrown there is no way either Brown or Mays has a shot at it without committing a penalty. That was probably one of the most perfect passes I've seen in a long time.
Share 49ersWebzone