LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 355 users in the forums

OFFICIAL: Players deciding to quit team counter

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by valrod33:

lmfaooo
The team needs to start winning games or Sing is going to lose the locker room.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Lewis was always getting burned anyway. Our defense as a whole isn't playing well. I think sticking in Mays is a good change. The whole team as a whole needs a spark and perhaps Mike Johnson as the OC and Mays in for some speed helps a little. Mays will only get better.
Originally posted by teeohh:

To me it seems he might have already... I feel that Dingletary is all mouf and no brians. I think this is known throughout the locker room and even the league. Other coaches have a field day with our current team...WHY? B/C he's not that bright and tries to hard to immulate the 85 Bears. Do what fits for your team be creative, don't be such a douche and maybe he will gain some respect. I don't see it though.

Just my 2cents
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Seems to me that patience is really running thin with this organization. Sing is scared to death for his job and so he's going to be more critical of ANYONE who makes a mistake. I'm sure he sees the writing on the wall and he's bound to go the way of Mike Nolan unless things get better and PRONTO!

Stand by for more benching when players make a mistake.

And also standby for more finger pointing. Everyone will be trying to save their own butts and in the end ... things can get worse!
This very scenario was predicted last year due to the very difficult first half schedule. I'll bet there were at least six different pro football observers that noted that if Singletary and the 49ers could survive the first six games of the season they would be OK. They noted all the rookies and inevitable injuries and position changes the team was likely to endure, including Michael Lewis and his concussion issues.

Those observers generally went on to note that if the team began to lose early, it could be a very disruptive challenge to Singletary.

Those writers have been proven correct.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Seems to me that patience is really running thin with this organization. Sing is scared to death for his job and so he's going to be more critical of ANYONE who makes a mistake. I'm sure he sees the writing on the wall and he's bound to go the way of Mike Nolan unless things get better and PRONTO!

Stand by for more benching when players make a mistake.

And also standby for more finger pointing. Everyone will be trying to save their own butts and in the end ... things can get worse!
This very scenario was predicted last year due to the very difficult first half schedule. I'll bet there were at least six different pro football observers that noted that if Singletary and the 49ers could survive the first six games of the season they would be OK. They noted all the rookies and inevitable injuries and position changes the team was likely to endure, including Michael Lewis and his concussion issues.

Those observers generally went on to note that if the team began to lose early, it could be a very disruptive challenge to Singletary.

Those writers have been proven correct.

It should have been evident to even the most homerish fan that with two rookies on the offensive line, we might have some protection issues. That is the big problem with the offense now, the sooner they come together, the sooner we start to win games. If you notice the game we were competitive in, the line played lights out. Not a coincidence.
Originally posted by steadlycreepin49:
Originally posted by IstruckG0LDS0N:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Ultimately, brains defeats brawn.

Its not bad to have a coach like Singletary, as long as you have another guy who can manage the team behind the scenes.

Singletary couldn't even recognize Patrick Willis's talents in college. He can't recognize bad quarterbacking, nor the importance of good quarterbacking.

Walsh could; times 1,000.

Bill Walsh on Rick Mirer...

Didn't he like Drunkenmiller too?

No Walsh suggested Jake Plummer, Policy and Clark took Druck instead.

Its not bad to have a coach like Singletary, as long as you have another guy who can manage the team behind the scenes.

Singletary couldn't even recognize Patrick Willis's talents in college. He can't recognize bad quarterbacking, nor the importance of good quarterbacking.

No Walsh suggested Jake Plummer, Policy and Clark took Druck instead.
Originally posted by 49ermark:
Originally posted by teeohh:

To me it seems he might have already... I feel that Dingletary is all mouf and no brians. I think this is known throughout the locker room and even the league. Other coaches have a field day with our current team...WHY? B/C he's not that bright and tries to hard to immulate the 85 Bears. Do what fits for your team be creative, don't be such a douche and maybe he will gain some respect. I don't see it though.

Just my 2cents

Winning changes everything. Now if only we could win...
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Originally posted by valrod33:

lmfaooo

i second that and raise you an all caps LOL

Ok WHERE does it say Lewis has asked for a release, or has quit??????
  • bret
  • Veteran

No. He had been brought back as a consultant, and he wanted them to invest in Jake Plummer, but Dwight Clark and friends got wowed by Drunkenmiller's arm. Walsh was so disgusted he left the team.
Originally posted by bret:

No. He had been brought back as a consultant, and he wanted them to invest in Jake Plummer, but Dwight Clark and friends got wowed by Drunkenmiller's arm. Walsh was so disgusted he left the team.

You got it right. They got wooed by Druck's arm and that stunt where he pulled a truck or something.

I bet under Walsh Mirer would have turned out fine.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
What troubles me most is something Maiocco alluded to; Singletary was being pressured from above. When the owners or upper management start to meddle in the product on the field, I start to get really worried. However, I don't think it would be an issue if the team was winning. Success breeds success.

We can clean house but the Yorks are going to have to pay a either a GM or a HC a LOT of money. Remember Baalke's official title isn't GM.

The team is in total disarray whether you believe Lewis or not. Perception is reality. The only thing that will help is if the team rattles off 4 wins in a row. We'll see if that's possible; highly unlikely.

I suspect Jed didn't "tell Sing what to do" so much as he called him in and said, "you're skating on really thin ice: you're losing your cool with the team and the media, you've got an old fart coordinator who shuffles papers when he should be getting plays in, you've got a talented assistant wasting away behind him. You're committed to old, slow defenders who have us at the bottom of the league in points allowed when we've paid big bucks to some fast young studs that you've got sitting on the bench. Now I'm not going to tell you what to do, but if you don't make the playoffs, if you haven't at least done something to give the fans hope, you're gone!"

Then he blabbed to one of his cronies that Raye would be gone and Lewis and Spikes would be hitting the bench. The crony blabbed to ESPN and NFL Network, and Sing was totally left hung out to dry.

Read the reports, watch the sequence of events, listen to Sing, then listen to and read Maiocco and Barrows and it all adds up.
meh. each situation is entirely different.

...but we'll see how we play tomorrow. its a must-win game. if the team comes out fired up and prepared and wins the game, all this will be forgotten, and will be proved to be smoke without fire. if we come out listless and frustrated, then maybe we can revisit the "quitting" that's been going on.

I'm not convinced that these three entirely different situations are actually symptomatic of anything other than one player deciding on another career and two others who couldn't handle being back-ups.
Share 49ersWebzone