There are 281 users in the forums

OFFICIAL: Players deciding to quit team counter

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by IstruckG0LDS0N:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Ultimately, brains defeats brawn.

Its not bad to have a coach like Singletary, as long as you have another guy who can manage the team behind the scenes.

Singletary couldn't even recognize Patrick Willis's talents in college. He can't recognize bad quarterbacking, nor the importance of good quarterbacking.

Walsh could; times 1,000.

Bill Walsh on Rick Mirer...

And I could name you dozens of examples where Bill Walsh's judgment was sound, excellent, or even visionary. For some reason people have the misperception that greatness is perfect, or stupidity never finds a gold nugget.

Posting an article that refers to an instance where Walsh was wrong doesn't invalidate the many times, especially in comparison with his contemporaries, where he was right.

Singletary doesn't have a comparable track record of good judgment.

im just saying that the past is done, its not every coming back and i read on here way to many comparisons between then and now. i just want it to stop, there will never be a Bill Walsh again and to compare him to anyone is stupid. the greats make mistakes too and we need to realize that back then the league was different.

this team has potential and we're all giving up to early, remember that we play in the NFC West...

I hear ya there man, but people aren't complaining because Bill Walsh isn't our coach, we're complaining because we're not relevant NOW. And it's been a long time since we've been relevant.

I haven't given up on this team either, but I don't think I'm being unreasonable when I say that I'm freaking fed up with this team. Whether it's Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary, Scott McLoughlan, Alex Smith with a kajillion different coordinators or whatever, I'm DONE with the excuses.

This team has a lot of talent on it. This was supposed to be the year. And not only are we not playing like we should be, we're freaking IMPLODING, man. I can't help but think that's a management issue, whether it's Sing or higher up than that.

I haven't given up hope and I know we have a nice stretch of games coming up, but do I believe in Singletary and company? Hell no.
ONE WIN and we will all forget this bulls**t thats been happening!
Originally posted by Mister49:
ONE WIN and we will all forget this bulls**t thats been happening!

It's not gonna make me forget. We play in the God awful NFC West. With our talent there's no excuse for not making the playoffs, and I'm not gonna forget about this start until we're in a position where it looks like that's where we'll be.

Its not bad to have a coach like Singletary, as long as you have another guy who can manage the team behind the scenes.

Singletary couldn't even recognize Patrick Willis's talents in college. He can't recognize bad quarterbacking, nor the importance of good quarterbacking.

And I could name you dozens of examples where Bill Walsh's judgment was sound, excellent, or even visionary. For some reason people have the misperception that greatness is perfect, or stupidity never finds a gold nugget.

Posting an article that refers to an instance where Walsh was wrong doesn't invalidate the many times, especially in comparison with his contemporaries, where he was right.

im just saying that the past is done, its not ever coming back and i read on here way to many comparisons between then and now. i just want it to stop, there will never be a Bill Walsh again and to compare him to anyone is stupid. the greats make mistakes too and we need to realize that back then the league was different.

this team has potential and we're all giving up to early, remember that we play in the NFC West...

I hear ya there man, but people aren't complaining because Bill Walsh isn't our coach, we're complaining because we're not relevant NOW. And it's been a long time since we've been relevant.

I haven't given up on this team either, but I don't think I'm being unreasonable when I say that I'm freaking fed up with this team. Whether it's Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary, Scott McLoughlan, Alex Smith with a kajillion different coordinators or whatever, I'm DONE with the excuses.

This team has a lot of talent on it. This was supposed to be the year. And not only are we not playing like we should be, we're freaking IMPLODING, man. I can't help but think that's a management issue, whether it's Sing or higher up than that.

I haven't given up hope and I know we have a nice stretch of games coming up, but do I believe in Singletary and company? Hell no.

i completely understand were you're coming from, what i meant was that the way Walsh got things done, scouting, stockpiling players and just working the league to his benefit can't happen no more. the league changed everything because of this organization, the 49ers were the masters of building the ultimate franchise. the reason that i put up that Rick Mirer thing up is so people can remember that, yeah, you need to be able to recognize talent but sometimes it's just luck. I wasn't old enough to get to watch Montana or Steve, only highlights for me, but i know that Walsh fit Montana like a glove and vise versa. Walsh and Montana were lucky to find each other in a sense, and because of that luck, they became the greatest coach and QB tandem ever. now, we more than likely missed on Smith, damn sure Coffee and Balmer, but we need to put to rest this thing about the organization not knowing what they're doing thing. they have put together a team that is more than capable of going on a tear, we just stumbled out of the gate...
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Frankly, no matter WHO it is, this demonstrates that the management wheels are definitely unglued, if not falling off.

No it doesn't. It demonstrates that you want it to say that. How does Coffee finding Jesus or Balmer being crap a reflection on team management?

I have to agree and disagree. I am ok with the Coffee part, but Balmer did get drafted in the 1st round so it is a reflection on how crappy the decisions are.
all that needs to be said here is that under Walsh's watch the Niners won 4 SB. Under current management and coaching the team hasn't even made the playoffs. Anything else is irrelevant. When you win SB's everything works in an organization. When you don't make the playoffs every year, nothing is working.
Also, can we stop referring to Lewis as a "team leader". He obviously was not.
does craptree count I think he quit trying long ago
This makes me feel like I am being punched in the kidney..Too painful..

Didn't he like Drunkenmiller too?

Originally posted by brucesf49:
Originally posted by susweel:
Frankly, no matter WHO it is, this demonstrates that the management wheels are definitely unglued, if not falling off.

No it doesn't. It demonstrates that you want it to say that. How does Coffee finding Jesus or Balmer being crap a reflection on team management?

Name another NFL team that has had 3 players quit and fired a coach already.

The s**t stinks in SF right now and that's a fact.

Repeat previous post.

I have to say I'm with English on this. My guess is Sing told Lewis he wouldnt be starting and now Lewis is looking for a trade or something along those lines. Coffee had another purpose and Balmer was just crap.

Add in the fact that the media perception provides Michael Lewis the perefect opportunity to throw the Orginazation under the bus as oppossed to his seriously declining skills and three concussions. This was the same guy all bitter for being cut by the Eagles.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by brucesf49:
Originally posted by susweel:

Name another NFL team that has had 3 players quit and fired a coach already.

The s**t stinks in SF right now and that's a fact.

Repeat previous post.

I have to say I'm with English on this. My guess is Sing told Lewis he wouldnt be starting and now Lewis is looking for a trade or something along those lines. Coffee had another purpose and Balmer was just crap.

Add in the fact that the media perception provides Michael Lewis the perefect opportunity to throw the Orginazation under the bus as oppossed to his seriously declining skills and three concussions. This was the same guy all bitter for being cut by the Eagles.

This! The yahoo article was titled "It just keeps getting more bizarre in San Francisco" as a way of saying we are a sinking ship. This may be possible, but players want off teams all the time. This is nothing that every team in the NFL has not dealt with. The fact that it is a player that would not have been resigned in 2011 and not Willis or Vernon Davis is not really a big deal at all.

When we start hearing our playmakers make these judgements and accusations, then it is truly time to worry...

Coffee and Balmer quitting does not impact the team either, as neither provided anything that the team needed...
[ Edited by SJniner7 on Oct 2, 2010 at 9:25 AM ]
Originally posted by znk916:
does craptree count I think he quit trying long ago

Long ago!!! Like, 3 games ago? Because I don't see any justification in making this accusation last season.

im just saying that the past is done, its not ever coming back and i read on here way to many comparisons between then and now. i just want it to stop, there will never be a Bill Walsh again and to compare him to anyone is stupid. the greats make mistakes too and we need to realize that back then the league was different.

i completely understand were you're coming from, what i meant was that the way Walsh got things done, scouting, stockpiling players and just working the league to his benefit can't happen no more. the league changed everything because of this organization, the 49ers were the masters of building the ultimate franchise. the reason that i put up that Rick Mirer thing up is so people can remember that, yeah, you need to be able to recognize talent but sometimes it's just luck. I wasn't old enough to get to watch Montana or Steve, only highlights for me, but i know that Walsh fit Montana like a glove and vise versa. Walsh and Montana were lucky to find each other in a sense, and because of that luck, they became the greatest coach and QB tandem ever. now, we more than likely missed on Smith, damn sure Coffee and Balmer, but we need to put to rest this thing about the organization not knowing what they're doing thing. they have put together a team that is more than capable of going on a tear, we just stumbled out of the gate...

I don't think this team is capable of going on any type of tear. We'll pull out some wins against other bad teams and maybe tomorrow against ATL. All is not lost but it'll be nice when we can start expecting to win because we're good and not because our competition stinks.

We haven't done anything in 8 years. Until the talent we're supposed to have translates into wins, it is perfectly reasonable to conclude that the organization doesn't know what they're doing.

You're right about luck being a factor, but it takes skill to properly building around the player you lucked out on. Brady was certainly luck, but the Pats were able to build a strong team around him for the past decade and still went 11-5 when he was out for the year. The Colts have also been able to stockpile talent and build around Manning. You can count on the Steelers stockpiling talent and being a competitive team as well. Of course dynasties are not as easy with free agency, but good organizations are still able to work the league and maintain strong franchises. Unfortunately that hasn't been us. We haven't even been close.
[ Edited by LAFortyNinerfan on Oct 2, 2010 at 9:42 AM ]
Too bad we don't get any insider info on this. Too many circumspect writers around here, not willing to be banned by Sing perhaps.
Share 49ersWebzone