2nd Post contains summary
Plays are numbered... I did this for all of the pre season games if you guys remember to see how the players where doing. If you don't want to read it don't post saying it is too long... move along. This is for anybody who didn't see the game and wants to see how players did or for anyone who wants a closer look at what happened on each play. P.S. I copied play by play in game center so I didn't type all of this... my thoughts are after their play info. Oh and don't quote my whole post... it's way too long.
1. Kansas City Chiefs at 15:00 6-J.Nedney kicks 62 yards from SF 30 to KC 8. 21-J.Arenas to KC 27 for 19 yards (55-A.Brooks). missed tackle by bowman, Brooks/Dixon /Adams on tackle
2. 1-10-KC 27 (14:54) 7-M.Cassel pass short right to 82-D.Bowe to KC 43 for 16 yards (22-N.Clements). Lawson drops in coverage on Moeaki, Haralson rushes, only smith gets push, looks like goldson helps Lawson and clements is way off bowe, closer to Moeaki and he comes make tackle
3. 1-10-KC 43 (14:35) 20-T.Jones right guard to KC 48 for 5 yards (22-N.Clements, 32-M.Lewis).
franklin busts through but falls at feet of runner, clements, lewis come up to make tackle
4. 2-5-KC 48 (13:58) 20-T.Jones up the middle to KC 49 for 1 yard (94-J.Smith).
goldson comes on blitz and gets piece of runner along with smith who fights off blocker and makes the tackle at los
5. 3-4-KC 49 (13:16) (Shotgun) 7-M.Cassel pass incomplete short left to 84-C.Chambers [98-P.Haralson]. goldson comes on blitz, willis on delayed blitz, looks like 4 men on line… Haralson, brooks, mcdonald and smith…, cassell gets rid of it before goldson puts a hit on him, should have gotten hands up, Haralson runs himself out of play (needs more than 1 PR move) pass slightly high off chambers fingers with spencer on coverage… clements with nice coverage in flats
6. 4-4-KC 49 (13:16) 2-D.Colquitt punts 38 yards to SF 13 Williams fair catch a few around 10 yard line, wonder if coaches told him to let them go
7. San Francisco 49ers at 13:04 1-10-SF 13 (13:04) 21-F.Gore up the middle to SF 18 for 5 yards (59-J.Belcher).chiefs with 5 on los, 2 lbs and 1 CB/s creeping up, good blocking by Norris, crabtree away from ball, pretty good blocking all around, gore squirms through hole for 5
8. 2-5-SF 18 (12:29) 21-F.Gore up the middle to SF 19 for 1 yard (59-J.Belcher), pretty good push, morgan fakes reverse,norris hits hole and blocks one but there are two defenders, one gets through and gets gore at LOS, problem could be 74/77 blocking same guy
9. 3-4-SF 19 (11:43) 11-A.Smith pass short right to 85-V.Davis to SF 29 for 10 yards (47-J.McGraw). great pass protection all around, good throw by smith
10. 1-10-SF 29 (11:04) 21-F.Gore right tackle to SF 31 for 2 yards (90-S.Smith).
5 on line, 2 backers, and 1 cb/s creeping, not bad blocking but looks like davis didn’t stick with block long enough and his guy took an open hole and plugged it making gore cut back, Vernon/byham blocking
11. 2-8-SF 31 (10:25) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short left to 84-J.Morgan (23-K.Lewis).
great pass blocking all around, smith throw was a little high and inside but catchable and morgan had hands on it until db broke it up
12. 3-8-SF 31 (10:19) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short right to 17-D.Zeigler to SF 38 for 7 yards (24-B.Flowers).blitz comes up the middle, gore picks it up right in front of smith, I guess smith went to hot route, crab/vd where running deeper, good pass but 2 guys tackle 17 right as he catches it, probably only thing smith could do because another blitzer was right behind the guy 21 picked up
13. 4-1-SF 38 (9:39) 4-A.Lee punts 49 yards to KC 13, Center-86-B.Jennings. 21-J.Arenas to KC 17 for 4 yards (46-Del.Walker). mays flys down a little out of control and slips past runner, gets hand on his feet, t brown right there to finish guy off
14. Kansas City Chiefs at 09:27 1-10-KC 17 (9:27) 7-M.Cassel pass short right to 81-T.Moeaki to KC 32 for 15 yards (32-M.Lewis). Lawson and other bit on play fake to mccluster, Lawson lets Moeaki go because of hesitation on play fake and moeaki ends up wide open
15. 1-10-KC 32 (8:46) 20-T.Jones up the middle to KC 36 for 4 yards (51-T.Spikes, 52-P.Willis).
Lawson drops in coverage, chiefs got 22 on end of line, (cough what we could do with westbrook)
16. 2-6-KC 36 (8:07) 25-J.Charles right end to KC 43 for 7 yards (22-N.Clements).
chiefs with great blocking, block off spik, lewis, willisfrom making the play
17. 1-10-KC 43 (7:30) 7-M.Cassel pass incomplete short right to 84-C.Chambers.
chiefs motion mccluster and play action to charles, clements with good coverage, caught out
18. 2-10-KC 43 (7:24) 20-T.Jones up the middle to 50 for 7 yards (99-M.Lawson).
chiefs send charles and mccluster into flats, all our lbs are dropping into coverage and a draw to jones works well because of all our dropping lbs
3-3- (6:47) 7-M.Cassel pass incomplete deep right to 81-T.Moeaki [98-P.Haralson].
Lawson drops in coverage, looks like haralson and smith get by their guys on same side and both hit cassell hard as he throws causing wobbly pass over head of 81
19. 4-3- (6:42) 2-D.Colquitt punts 40 yards to SF 10, Center-43-T.Gafford, fair catch by 10-K.Williams. fields another right around 10 yard line. not sure if he should have done that but there was a kc player behind him to down it (tough to score getting ball twice in row on 13/10
20. San Francisco 49ers at 06:34 1-10-SF 10 (6:34) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short right to 85-V.Davis to SF 15 for 5 yards (59-J.Belcher). shotgun formation, 5 wrs, ol 5 on 3 and win.. smith with good pass to vd for easy 5 yards.
21. 2-5-SF 15 (6:00) 21-F.Gore up the middle to SF 17 for 2 yards (72-G.Dorsey, 29-E.Berry).
two TEs, no fb, looks like 5 dl and 4 dbs (tough to run against 9)
22. 3-3-SF 17 (5:19) 11-A.Smith pass short right to 21-F.Gore ran ob at SF 48 for 31 yards (23-K.Lewis). wow nice play, gore and crabtree line up in back field, both kind of cross each other and both open in flats… should do this play more often, Iupati running 30 yards down field holding off dbs from coming after gore on sidelines
23. 1-10-SF 48 (4:49) 21-F.Gore up the middle to SF 48 for no gain (90-S.Smith).
back to basics, rachal pulls, a davis doesn’t stick on block long enough and his guy gets in backfield and gets 21
24. 2-10-SF 48 (4:10) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short right to 21-F.Gore.
staley gets beat by hali and lucky he doesn’t get called for holding, forces smith outside and guys setup for screen but it looks like baas etc are too far down field and lb is right next to gore so smith throws it at ground
25. 3-10-SF 48 (4:03) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith up the middle to KC 40 for 12 yards. PENALTY on SF-62-C.Rachal, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SF 48 - No Play.
the beginning of us shooting ourselves in foot, smith with a great run for a 1st down, I don’t know if this was really a hold could have gone either way but if rachal doesn’t hold then his guy probably gets smith or smith would have had to cut back because there was plenty of room
26. 3-20-SF 38 (3:36) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short left to 20-B.Westbrook.
so instead of first down on KC 42 it’s 3rd and 20 and the last point was a big turning point in the game. Screen to westbrook, pass by smith way too high… probably wouldn’t have gotten 10 yards anyways, (why not go 5 wr shotgun?)
27. 4-20-SF 38 (3:32) 4-A.Lee punts 46 yards to KC 16, Center-86-B.Jennings. 21-J.Arenas to KC 16 for no gain (38-D.Goldson). goldson comes flying down and perfectly hits the feet of arenas right as he catches it and gets a bit shaken up. Usually when you come down that fast and don’t break down you miss the guy
28. Kansas City Chiefs at 03:23 1-10-KC 16 (3:23) 25-J.Charles left guard to KC 27 for 11 yards (38-D.Goldson, 94-J.Smith). mcdonald busts through but 25 is already by, same with smith, our lbs are 10 yards down field making it an easy gain
29. 1-10-KC 27 (2:42) 25-J.Charles left guard to 50 for 23 yards (38-D.Goldson). PENALTY on KC-62-C.Wiegmann, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at KC 27 - No Play.
willis covering mccluster takes him out of play, we lucked out because even without holding not sure we would have made tackle, we only had willis in the middle, 6 guys rushing equals perfect call on delay, once he got by the dl nobody was around
30. 1-20-KC 17 (2:19) (Shotgun) 7-M.Cassel pass incomplete short middle to 20-T.Jones.
excellent play of smith/mcdonald seeing screen and backing down towards target, Lawson got after cassell to make him throw it at the ground with target covered on screen
31. 2-20-KC 17 (2:14) 7-M.Cassel pass incomplete deep middle to 84-C.Chambers [94-J.Smith].
mcdonald gets in there, smith hits cassel right after he throws, guy is covered
32. 3-20-KC 17 (2:08) 25-J.Charles up the middle to KC 41 for 24 yards (22-N.Clements).
now here is big play #2 that hurt us… (rachal #1)looks like a couple of stunts by the d line and the basically all ended up way to far to the right… brooks over runs play, Haralson mcdonald and two others all should have had charles 10 yards short of 1st down and miss, clements with a good play to fight off blocker and make tackle
33. 1-10-KC 41 (1:25) 20-T.Jones right end to KC 45 for 4 yards (22-N.Clements).
dl all get blocked down and jones looking to cut back and would have had lots of room but willis pops up and makes him go the other way…
34. 2-6-KC 45 (:47) 7-M.Cassel pass short left to 20-T.Jones to KC 46 for 1 yard (92-A.Franklin).
willis blitzes, him and laboy in backfield, evans gets through as well… nobody reads screen and if charles doesn’t slip they might have had big yardage…
35. 3-5-KC 46 (:06) (Shotgun) 7-M.Cassel scrambles up the middle to 50 for 4 yards (38-D.Goldson).
brooks and laboy both run themselves out of play on outside, cassel steps up nicely and goldson makes a great tackle otherwise he would have had a first down
END QUARTER 1 so far the game is 0-0, a couple of big plays that hurt us and hurt ourselves…
36. 4-1- (15:00) Direct snap to 20-T.Jones. 22-D.McCluster right end to SF 46 for 4 yards (99-M.Lawson). this is where KC went punt unit then ran o back on field we called time out, then they ended up doing it again and finally went with offense with a wildcat formation, jones hands to mccluster on end around, smith gets through but too late by then, Lawson was kind of held and fights off to make the tackle but first down
37. 1-10-SF 46 (14:25) Direct snap to 20-T.Jones. 20-T.Jones up the middle to SF 43 for 3 yards (93-D.Evans).
same play but opposite way and this time jones holds onto ball, good job by evans fighting off blocker and making tackle
38. 2-7-SF 43 (13:50) 7-M.Cassel pass short left to 84-C.Chambers to SF 37 for 6 yards (36-S.Spencer).
no pressure from dl, spencer with very tight coverage but good throw on inside slant
39. 3-1-SF 37 (13:01) 20-T.Jones up the middle to SF 34 for 3 yards (92-A.Franklin).
most of our guys get pushed back/no push so easy first down
40. 1-10-SF 34 (12:32) 7-M.Cassel pass short left intended for 82-D.Bowe INTERCEPTED by 36-S.Spencer at SF 24. 36-S.Spencer to SF 24 for no gain (82-D.Bowe).
no pass rush, great play by spencer to stop and jump the route, great catch
41. San Francisco 49ers at 12:23
1-10-SF 24 (12:23) 11-A.Smith pass short right to 85-V.Davis to SF 31 for 7 yards (39-B.Carr, 59-J.Belcher).
good pass blocking, nice little dump off to vd, breaks a tackle
42. 2-3-SF 31 (11:54) 21-F.Gore up the middle to SF 30 for -1 yards (59-J.Belcher, 90-S.Smith).
whole right side gets pushed back, into gore, who should have cut left and could have had some good yards.
43. 3-4-SF 30 (11:09) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short right intended for 15-M.Crabtree INTERCEPTED by 24-B.Flowers at SF 31. 24-B.Flowers to SF 31 for no gain (64-D.Baas).
good pass protection, smith gets a little jumpy back there… throw wouldn’t have gotten a first down anyways, smith threw to a spot and flowers kind of boxed him off , kicks the ball in the air and catches it on the deflection… 3rd play that hurt us… (rachal hold, charles 24 yd 3rd down run)
44. Kansas City Chiefs at 11:02
1-10-SF 31 (11:02) 7-M.Cassel pass short left to 22-D.McCluster for 31 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
no pass rush for I think the 3rd defensive play in a row…laboy reacts well but he misses the tackle, spencer slips near goal line, pretty much a free run in to the end zone after laboy
45. 6-R.Succop extra point is GOOD, Center-43-T.Gafford, Holder-2-D.Colquitt. SF 0 KC 7 Plays: 1 Possession: 0:10
46. San Francisco 49ers at 10:52 6-R.Succop kicks onside 11 yards from KC 30 to KC 41. RECOVERED by KC-21-J.Arenas. PENALTY on KC-29-E.Berry, Offside on Free Kick, 5 yards, enforced at KC 30 - No Play.
if berry &1 other player aren’t offside by a step they would have recovered it and kept possession .. totally fooled us
47. 6-R.Succop kicks 71 yards from KC 25 to SF 4. 10-K.Williams to SF 22 for 18 yards (10-T.Copper). someone mentioned how Williams looks slow, his strides aren’t very big
48. 1-10-SF 22 (10:46) 11-A.Smith pass short left to 21-F.Gore to SF 26 for 4 yards (90-S.Smith; 98-A.Toribio).
the chiefs read that screen, iupati/baas/rachal all miss blocks in open
49. 2-6-SF 26 (10:05) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete deep left to 15-M.Crabtree.
good pass protection, pass overthrown by half yard, tight coverage, doubt he catches it if it’s right in his arms because DB swatted his arms down.
50. 3-6-SF 26 (9:59) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short left to 15-M.Crabtree to SF 38 for 12 yards (39-B.Carr).
good pass blocking but davis gets beat but smith already threw the ball, nice stop by crabtree, db was playing off to far
51. 1-10-SF 38 (9:19) 11-A.Smith pass short left to 15-M.Crabtree to KC 40 for 22 yards (56-D.Johnson).
so we went to crabtree three plays in a row and ignored him for most of the rest of the game
not sure if that was the play call but we lucked out with crabtree’s man blitzing, looked like 9 men in box at the time, excellent throw just passed the blitzing cb,
52. 1-10-KC 40 (9:19) 21-F.Gore up the middle to KC 35 for 5 yards (59-J.Belcher, 56-D.Johnson).
good run blocking… but it’s tough running with 5 guys on the dl…2 lbs right behind them.. one guy unaccounted for (6 with fb vs 7) and a lot of the time the Dbs are creeping in
53. 2-5-KC 35 (8:20) 21-F.Gore up the middle to KC 33 for 2 yards (90-S.Smith).
Byham in at hb… no push, davis/baas/staley get stood up, rachal and iupati both miss blocks at next level
54. 3-3-KC 33 (7:43) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short right to 85-V.Davis [50-M.Vrabel]. Ball handed off to F.Gore who pitched back to A.Smith
here is the flea flicker… davis/walker at te, Norris/gore in backfield..norris got beat but smith might have started rolling a tad early…not one person open…wonder why walker is In blocking instead of taking off… 3 guys on crabtee.. nobody running down field beside him… wow, that’s how not to run a flea flicker
55. 4-3-KC 33 (7:35) 6-J.Nedney 51 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-86-B.Jennings, Holder-4-A.Lee.
SF 3 KC 7 Plays: 8 Possession: 3:22
56. Kansas City Chiefs at 07:30
6-J.Nedney kicks 67 yards from SF 30 to KC 3. 22-D.McCluster to KC 20 for 17 yards (35-P.Adams) nice coverage all around… 3 guys in on tackle.
57. 1-10-KC 20 (7:24) 25-J.Charles right end to KC 26 for 6 yards (99-M.Lawson, 90-I.Sopoaga).
dl getting pushed back except 92 who breaks through and falls at feet of runner, spikes gets blocked out… probably due to his injury he didn’t seem to be playing that well..
58. 2-4-KC 26 (6:49) 25-J.Charles left tackle to KC 25 for -1 yards (22-N.Clements).
great play by clements to come up and tackle charles behind LOS, smith there as well
59. Timeout #1 by KC at 06:02. 3-5-KC 25 (6:02) (Shotgun) 7-M.Cassel pass short left to 22-D.McCluster to KC 40 for 15 yards (22-N.Clements) [54-T.LaBoy].
laboy hits cassel just as he throws, smith with good job reading screen and goes into coverage on mccluster, goldson picks him up and don’t know how but gets totally lost and turned around and 22 makes the nice grab for a first down.
60. 1-10-KC 40 (5:16) 7-M.Cassel pass short left to 46-T.Castille to SF 46 for 14 yards (32-M.Lewis).
again, no lbs in sight, smith the only one that reads screen and good hustle but again nobody besides smith reads screen…
61. 1-10-SF 46 (4:36) 7-M.Cassel pass incomplete deep right to 20-T.Jones (38-D.Goldson).
fake handoff on end around and up middle, no pressure cassel throws to high and another play that doesn’t go our way… goldson tipped it after jones tipped it and almost had it… lewis probably would have had it if goldson didn’t tip it. (we have had too many dropped ints this year)
62. 2-10-SF 46 (4:26) (Shotgun) 7-M.Cassel pass short left to 22-D.McCluster to SF 23 for 23 yards (52-P.Willis). STUPID Shortcuts cut out this play… who gets paid to do this?
63. 1-10-SF 23 (3:42) 20-T.Jones left end to SF 17 for 6 yards (54-T.LaBoy).
bowman in…breaks through blocker and makes jones cut back inside, spencer gets held and then blocked in the back, 4 guys in on tackle
64. 2-4-SF 17 (2:58) 20-T.Jones up the middle to SF 15 for 2 yards (92-A.Franklin).
smith spins out of double team and makes the tackle w/franklin who fights off blocker
65. 3-2-SF 15 (2:17) (Shotgun) 22-D.McCluster right end to SF 20 for -5 yards (55-A.Brooks).
mccluster comes on another end around, laboy gets into backfield and doesn’t make tackle but slows mccluster up,excellent job by brooks to beat his man and make the tackle or 22 might have had a 1st down
66. Two-Minute Warning 4-7-SF 20 (2:00) 6-R.Succop 38 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-43-T.Gafford, Holder-2-D.Colquitt. (Break here… so we get ball back only down 7-4 with 2 minutes left… at least run the half out and not give them the ball back but nope…)
67. San Francisco 49ers at 01:55 1-10-SF 28 (1:55) (Shotgun) PENALTY on SF-76-A.Davis, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SF 28 - No Play. I think this is the first false start of the game for our OL, you can’t start out a drive with a penalty… that and 3rd down are the worst times
68. 1-15-SF 23 (1:55) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short right to 20-B.Westbrook to SF 28 for 5 yards (53-D.Williams)
shotgun, westbrook/gore in backfield, gore runs opposite way and takes defender with him… westbrook sets up for screen on other side, not much doing… chiefs read it better than us
69. 2-10-SF 28 (1:30) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short right to 20-B.Westbrook to SF 29 for 1 yard
not sure if crabtree was open… I seen him get by his man but the screen didn’t show if a safety was waiting… alex looked up the middle for a sec and then threw it to westbrook in the flats
70. 3-9-SF 29 (1:24) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short right to 21-F.Gore to SF 29 for no gain (47-J.McGraw) [92-W.Gilberry].
Davis and Baas both get beat… Davis’s man hits smith and his arm as he throws..,probably causing the throw behind gore a tad, either way 3 chiefs waiting for him and wouldn’t have gotten first down. Not sure if anybody down field is getting open with all these check downs. Like I said we lost 3 points because we couldn’t eat up 1:55 and go in at half 7-3 or get points and make it 7-6 or 10-7 us
71. Timeout #2 by KC at 01:17. 4-9-SF 29 (1:17) 4-A.Lee punts 48 yards to KC 23, Center-86-B.Jennings. 21-J.Arenas to KC 42 for 19 yards (99-M.Lawson). Jennings might have got pushed in the back but he fell down past the runner, mays as well,.goldson misses tackle, Lawson gets him
72. Kansas City Chiefs at 01:05
1-10-KC 42 (1:05) 7-M.Cassel scrambles right end to KC 45 for 3 yards (22-N.Clements).
Haralson gets pressure on cassel, nobody else does… laboy and mcdonald kind of jogging…
73. 2-7-KC 45 (:36) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-M.Cassel pass short middle to 25-J.Charles to SF 38 for 17 yards (52-P.Willis). AGAIN SHORTCUTS CUT OUT PLAY… SOMEONE MESSED UP AGAIN
74. 1-10-SF 38 (:36) 7-M.Cassel spiked the ball to stop the clock.
2-10-SF 38 (:19) (Shotgun) 7-M.Cassel pass short right to 25-J.Charles pushed ob at SF 20 for 18 yards (52-P.Willis). Laboy gets pressure, nobody else does and nobody reads screen or covers charles
75. 1-10-SF 20 (:13) (Shotgun) 7-M.Cassel pass incomplete deep right to 82-D.Bowe.
A little bit of pressure but cassel had time to throw, must have been good coverage downfield
76. 2-10-SF 20 (:07) 7-M.Cassel pass short right to 81-T.Moeaki ran ob at SF 14 for 6 yards.
3 guys lined up on the right, kind of a rub to moeaki in the flats... hard to defend
77. 3-4-SF 14 (:04) 6-R.Succop 32 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-43-T.Gafford, Holder-2-D.Colquitt.
So basically it’s 10-3 after they missed a field goal but we failed to take the ball down the field before half with 1:55 left and instead punt it back and they get 3 points. We can’t be doing that. It’s one thing if we don’t get any points but at least eat all the time so they can’t get points.
Stats are 4 first downs us/13 them, 16 rush for us/88 them, 104 pass us/162 them, 120 to 250 in total yardage, 1 turnover each and time of possession is 12:21 us/17:39 them… we didn’t play horrible but we didn’t play great. We where in this game yet. I might do the 2nd half but we really fell apart there. We did in the Seattle game as well.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 30, 2010 at 3:17 AM ]