There are 133 users in the forums

49ers need steady leadership, not panic (ESPN Article)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Everybody blaming the losses on Alex Smith needs to look at the team as a whole and stop blaming ONLY him. He has not played well in 2 out of the 3 games, but he did play very well against the Saints. Oddly enough, the 2 out of 3 games he didnt play well, neither did the offensive line. This all points back to coaching, and I hope that firing Raye will get this stuff corrected because our players have shown that they can play when put in the right situation.

I cant wait to see what happens with Johnson as OC on Sunday.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Everybody blaming the losses on Alex Smith needs to look at the team as a whole and stop blaming ONLY him. He has not played well in 2 out of the 3 games, but he did play very well against the Saints. Oddly enough, the 2 out of 3 games he didnt play well, neither did the offensive line. This all points back to coaching, and I hope that firing Raye will get this stuff corrected because our players have shown that they can play when put in the right situation.

This is what I don't get. Our top 10 defense has given up 31, 25, and 31 points and yet everyone is calling for Smith's head. The response is that they can only defend for so long, if Alex played better so would the defense.

If you flipped that around it would be dismissed as an Alexcuse. so do we need to start calling these defenscuses now?
Easy for Sando to say, because he is a casual observer. He has probably not seen an entire 49er game this season or last, he has a lot of teams to cover. He does not follow the team as closely as a local beat writer or a fan.

Sure he makes a few good points, but with not depth or context they are mostly meaningless. One thing he points out, and I was just thinking about this myself, is that Mike Singletary has NEVER been a coordinator.

Even Nolan had coordinator experience, and when he needed to he took over defensive play calling. Singletary could never do this, he has never created a game plan offensive or defensive and then implemented it! WOW that is mind boggling!

I am a youth football OC/O-line coach, I have created a playbook, all 12 plays(24 if you count lefts and rights). I have watched film and game written and executed a game plan, calling plays and making adjustments. I am not ready for high school football, not yet anyway, and yet I have done something Singltary HAS NEVER DONE!

Mike Singletary does not carry a play card on the sidelines, because he does not know how to call plays! Yet ladies and gentleman, boys and girls cats and kittens, he is our head coach!

NO NEED TO PANIC!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:43 PM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Easy for Sando to say, because he is a casual observer. He has probably not seen an entire 49er game this season or last, he has a lot of teams to cover. He does not follow the team as closely as a local beat writer or a fan.

Sure he makes a few good points, but with not depth or context they are mostly meaningless. One thing he points out, and I was just thinking about this myself, is that Mike Singletary has NEVER been a coordinator.

Even Nolan had coordinator experience, and when he needed to he took over defensive play calling. Singletary could never do this, he has never created a game plan offensive or defensive and then implemented it! WOW that is mind boggling!

I am a youth football OC/O-line coach, I have created a playbook, all 12 plays(24 if you count lefts and rights). I have watched film and game written and executed a game plan, calling plays and making adjustments. I am not ready for high school football, not yet anyway, and yet I have done something Singltary HAS NEVER DONE!

Mike Singletary does not carry a play card on the sidelines, because he does not know how to call plays! Yet ladies and gentleman, boys and girls cats and kittens, he is our head coach!

NO NEED TO PANIC!

Mike Sando covers the NFC West he attends games of all 4 teams in the West, if im not mistaken he has been to the Seahawks and Chiefs game this year. Most of the time i think Sando is a douche but he does make some good points in this article
This is pretty much everything I've been saying, especially having perspective. If I was paid to write, my stuff would be as good if not better. And for those that say Sando is a straight up hater, it sounds to me like he hasn't give up on the 49ers just yet.
Originally posted by valrod33:

NO NEED TO PANIC!

Mike Sando covers the NFC West he attends games of all 4 teams in the West, if im not mistaken he has been to the Seahawks and Chiefs game this year. Most of the time i think Sando is a douche but he does make some good points in this article

Okay he is the NFC west beat writer, he is a lot closer than most national media, but his statements are out of line with the local Beat writers.

Sando points out Sings lack of executive experience, which for me the more I think about it the more urgency I put into replace him with somebody who does!
Originally posted by Otter:

This is what I don't get. Our top 10 defense has given up 31, 25, and 31 points and yet everyone is calling for Smith's head. The response is that they can only defend for so long, if Alex played better so would the defense.

If you flipped that around it would be dismissed as an Alexcuse. so do we need to start calling these defenscuses now?

Agreed, and if I have to watch another 20 yard screen go against our defense with ease, I am going to rip my hair out.

There are a lot of defensexcuses, special teamsexcuses, coachexcuses on this board.
  • Otter
  • Veteran

NO NEED TO PANIC!

Okay he is the NFC west beat writer, he is a lot closer than most national media, but his statements are out of line with the local Beat writers.

Sando points out Sings lack of executive experience, which for me the more I think about it the more urgency I put into replace him with somebody who does!

So, Sando's point in the article was that it is a long season, and that despite starting 0-3, we have not been eliminated from playoff contention yet. And that now is the time for patience, perspective, and true leadership, but you disagree?

I guess it's really the time for panic, short-sightedness, and cleaning house. Why even bother playing Sunday in Atlanta. Maybe the Yorks can cut and fire everyone and save the salary expense, the game day checks, and the travel costs.
  • Antix
  • Veteran

Agreed, and if I have to watch another 20 yard screen go against our defense with ease, I am going to rip my hair out.

You might wanna get ready for that new bald look because it's gonna happen for the rest of the season.

On the article thought, I read it at work and I thought to myself about how leadership is the one thing this team lacks, hard. Our most known leader is Singletary and that guy is liable to have a heart attack if someone asks him the wrong question.

As far as leaders on the field, maybe Willis, but the D is giving up 27 points a game. On offense Davis can run his mouth but hasn't come up with any big games. Gore's had one and Smith, well there's no need to even go there.

Until we get playmakers to be leaders on the field we're screwed because I don't care how many coordinators we fire we are completely f*cked when it comes to being coached properly.

• kray28
  • Veteran
The players are demoralized, they need a leader with more than just empty speeches about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps or whatever.

They need a leader who has some answers in the form of a real concrete plan, and he needs to be confident in that plan.

Note to Singletary: "We're going to go out and punch them in the mouth" is not a plan. Your players are not idiots...they've seen you get outcoached by the other guy every week this season...

So, does he have a plan that will have any credibility with these players?

He better hope the offense works better under Johnson. He needs to butt the hell out of though, and let Johnson do his thing.

NO NEED TO PANIC!

So, Sando's point in the article was that it is a long season, and that despite starting 0-3, we have not been eliminated from playoff contention yet. And that now is the time for patience, perspective, and true leadership, but you disagree?

I guess it's really the time for panic, short-sightedness, and cleaning house. Why even bother playing Sunday in Atlanta. Maybe the Yorks can cut and fire everyone and save the salary expense, the game day checks, and the travel costs.

Now your talking, sarcastically, but your talking! My point is simple, it is too late this season to make any real changes, so no need to panic, but don't get your hopes up to high either!

This off season, Singletary must go. He was not ready to be a head coach, and has made no improvements in his management of the game, the clock, or his subordinate coaches.

He isn't a rookie head coach anymore, he is what he is and shows no signs of changing, if you like what you see don't change a thing.

I'm not panicked, but I am VERY CONCERNED!
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
The players are demoralized, they need a leader with more than just empty speeches about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps or whatever.

They need a leader who has some answers in the form of a real concrete plan, and he needs to be confident in that plan.

Note to Singletary: "We're going to go out and punch them in the mouth" is not a plan. Your players are not idiots...they've seen you get outcoached by the other guy every week this season...

So, does he have a plan that will have any credibility with these players?

He better hope the offense works better under Johnson. He needs to butt the hell out of though, and let Johnson do his thing.

Won't happen.

We'll go to ATL, score 45 points by spreading the field and not opening the game with two Gore stuffs in the middle of the line. We'll be spontaneous, creative and energetic, all the things we've been hearing this week.

Then Sing will go home, watch the film and a light bulb will go off and he'll say. "Well if these guys are good at being creative, spontaneous and energetic then they MUST also be good at pounding the ball into the middle of the line play after play after play." Then we'll come out the next week, score 6 points and we'll be in the same boat and Smith and Johnson will take disproportionate amount of blame.

This season is done. I'm not allowing myself to buy into crap anymore until there's an HC in place with experience and know how.
  • Otter
  • Veteran

Now your talking, sarcastically, but your talking! My point is simple, it is too late this season to make any real changes, so no need to panic, but don't get your hopes up to high either!

This off season, Singletary must go. He was not ready to be a head coach, and has made no improvements in his management of the game, the clock, or his subordinate coaches.

He isn't a rookie head coach anymore, he is what he is and shows no signs of changing, if you like what you see don't change a thing.

I'm not panicked, but I am VERY CONCERNED!

We are ALL very concerned.

You are misinterpreting responses, except for the sarcasm, that part you got right.

I think Singletary needs to go as well at the end of the season, but I'm not ready to give up on this season yet. I think the 49ers are the worst team in the league as of 9/29/10, but I do believe they can improve.

We're only 3 games in. If the change in OC should all of a sudden open up the playbook and magically the offense catches fire, 10-6 isn't out of the question. It would be difficult for sure, but not impossible. That's why the Atlanta game is critical. Win or lose, how the team plays will provide more insight in to how the team will finish the season than anything else at this point.

NO NEED TO PANIC!

Now, Otter my boy, you are talking!
Share 49ersWebzone