LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

49ers need steady leadership, not panic (ESPN Article)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I look like a professional anallyst by saying at the begging of the season Alex Smith sucks!!!...If the 49ers want to have a chance to win at Atlanta, then they better start Carr.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
OK. I'll admit. This isn't bad. Points well taken.

But Alex Smith has got to play better football. If he doesn't -- it doesn't matter what Dingleberry does.

Agreed

He is who we thought he was.

And we let them off the hook.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I dont buy the "silver lining" bs. I can point out several games over the past 5 years where there was a visible "silver lining", only to see the team collapse and not make the playoffs. Playing NO to the end was no different than the game at Qwest in 06 (?), when Smith led the team on a final drive victory. The fact that we can list these games on our fingers goes to show just how inconsistent he is.

Should we panic ?

Absolutely. This team has the longest playoff drought in the NFC. If anyone told you in 2005, right after drafting Smith, that we'd still be scratching our heads and wondering about the state of the 49ers 6 years later, heads would have been guillotined.

As a fanbase, we became enamored with Smith because he was THE pick. He wasnt a guy that was picked to fit the system (Montana), he wasnt the guy we traded for cause he had attributes not seen in other QBs (Young), and he certainly wasnt the seasoned guy that had already been in pro football (Garcia). He was our heir apparent, and he flopped. And a lot of people have had a hard time swallowing that, and instead of holding him accountable, we've held everyone else instead.

Whether it be offensive coordinators (Hostler, Raye, McCarthy), receivers (ABryant, Crabtree, Lloyd), RBs (Barlow, Gore), TEs (VD, EJohnson), olineman (Jennings, Harris, Baas), coaches (Nolan, Sing), etc............we've been quick to point fingers and label them as detriments in Alex's development.

Well, enough is enough. This was supposed to be Alex's put up or shut up season. Instead, his failures (yet again) have been put on a coach.........a coach, btw, who is using the SAME system he was using last year. Were the plays conservative ? Yes. But did Smith take advantage of the limited opportunities he was given ? NO.

Same old Smith. Same old mistakes. Same old excuses.

Time to move on.

I agree with you 110% on every point you make.

But Sando is right. It's only been three games. You can't write off a season after just three games.

Alex still has a game or two left to reverse course and become the kind of QB we all hoped and dreamed he would be when he was drafted.

I'm not going to hold my breath. Personally -- I don't think he can do it. But -- the point is well taken -- it's only been three games. And three games does not make an NFL season.
how many losses does Smith have to have before you realize he completely sucks all around
[ Edited by 69MiNdFrEaK on Sep 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM ]
OK. I'll admit. This isn't bad. Points well taken.

But Alex Smith has got to play better football. If he doesn't -- it doesn't matter what Dingleberry does.

Totally agree. At this point I'll take a nasty ugly win.

49ers - 13
Falcons - 9
Hey Val,
Bravo! I agree with you 150%. You, my friend, have a flair with the pen - why don't you write for the WZ?
I dont buy the "silver lining" bs. I can point out several games over the past 5 years where there was a visible "silver lining", only to see the team collapse and not make the playoffs. Playing NO to the end was no different than the game at Qwest in 06 (?), when Smith led the team on a final drive victory. The fact that we can list these games on our fingers goes to show just how inconsistent he is.

Should we panic ?

Absolutely. This team has the longest playoff drought in the NFC. If anyone told you in 2005, right after drafting Smith, that we'd still be scratching our heads and wondering about the state of the 49ers 6 years later, heads would have been guillotined.

As a fanbase, we became enamored with Smith because he was THE pick. He wasnt a guy that was picked to fit the system (Montana), he wasnt the guy we traded for cause he had attributes not seen in other QBs (Young), and he certainly wasnt the seasoned guy that had already been in pro football (Garcia). He was our heir apparent, and he flopped. And a lot of people have had a hard time swallowing that, and instead of holding him accountable, we've held everyone else instead.

Whether it be offensive coordinators (Hostler, Raye, McCarthy), receivers (ABryant, Crabtree, Lloyd), RBs (Barlow, Gore), TEs (VD, EJohnson), olineman (Jennings, Harris, Baas), coaches (Nolan, Sing), etc............we've been quick to point fingers and label them as detriments in Alex's development.

Well, enough is enough. This was supposed to be Alex's put up or shut up season. Instead, his failures (yet again) have been put on a coach.........a coach, btw, who is using the SAME system he was using last year. Were the plays conservative ? Yes. But did Smith take advantage of the limited opportunities he was given ? NO.

Time to move on.

I agree with you 110% on every point you make.

But Sando is right. It's only been three games. You can't write off a season after just three games.

Alex still has a game or two left to reverse course and become the kind of QB we all hoped and dreamed he would be when he was drafted.

I'm not going to hold my breath. Personally -- I don't think he can do it. But -- the point is well taken -- it's only been three games. And three games does not make an NFL season.

Sorry, bud but Alex has had more than a few games to reverse course and become the QB we thought he would be when we drafted him.

He gets so close and leaves us with a cliff hanger like a good story, but like a bad movie he falls short of breaking through the climax...
Originally posted by 666SF666SF:
Hey Val,
Bravo! I agree with you 150%. You, my friend, have a flair with the pen - why don't you write for the WZ?

lol, i didnt write that. Mike Sando did.
[ Edited by valrod33 on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:08 PM ]
Hey Val,

lol, i didnt right that. Mike Sando did.

no; you don't say

I know you did that on purpose you attention whore
Originally posted by danimal:
Hey Val,

lol, i didnt right that. Mike Sando did.

no; you don't say

I know you did that on purpose you attention whore

• 49ers
  • Veteran

Should we panic ?

Time to move on.

This. Thank you.

that's one of the best articles I have read since Sunday, it gives me a perspective on the kind of reporter we have following this team, Sando has a better, objective and professional look at whats happenning to this team that any of the local media amateurs, like Killon and Cohen...

very refreshing reading that and hope we can turn the corner at home vs the eagles...

go niners
Hey Val,

OOps, changed work schedule, just woke up. My bad!
Hey Val,

OOps, changed work schedule, just woke up. My bad!

its all good man
"Steady leadership and not panic" is not the 49ers way.

Does ESPN pay any attention to the 49ers at all?

1) Panic.
2) Reactionary firing.
3) Promotion from within of inexperienced person to "interim" whatever....you fill in blank......(HC, OC, GM, player personnel director)
4) Offseason promotion to full time whatever....(no more interim) fill in blank.... (HC, OC etc).
5) Have no proactive long term plan ever.
6) Promise fans there is new found hope and change for a better future.
7) Cross fingers, pray and hope things get better.
8) Go back to #1 and repeat entire cycle over again and again.

This is the York family way and always has been. Look at the history.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:19 PM ]
I need a beer...
Share 49ersWebzone