There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QBs we could have had.....

QBs we could have had.....

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Ninersdeep:
hindsight is 20/20

if you don't learn from past mistakes your only doomed to repeat them...

taking a look at what might have been is not only interesting but forces us to ask the hard questions like..

why did we evaluate Smith over Rodgers in the first place? (not every team did)
why did we make no effort to aquire another serious QB when Smith had a serious injury?
why did we confidently pass on mcnabb thinking Alex was going to perform well and win games this year when clearly we were dead wrong?

sure hindsight is 20/20 but part of winning and losing in the NFL is scouting and talent evaluation. better teams consistently make the right decisions in the draft, free agency, and in trades. we consistently make the wrong ones. this is at the core of why the product on Sundays is what it is.

I would add: WHAT IS THE POINT BRINGING IN DAVID "RUN FOR YOU LIFE" CARR???
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas...
How is this thread NOT locked yet?
What's the point of this? Would've, could've, should've, didn't. It doesn't matter anymore. Those ships have sailed.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
What's the point of this? Would've, could've, should've, didn't. It doesn't matter anymore. Those ships have sailed.
Cool story bro
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
When thinking about what our draft/FA options are for 2011 if we need to replace our QB are, it got me wondering how many times we could have fixed this issue since 2005.

Here are some of the players we very realistically could have had, and what it would have cost us, if we had pulled the trigger on trades that other teams did, or drafted differently.

Given the cost and where our team was at the given time, which do you think would have been the best choice?

Put in the exact same siuation, with the same supporing cast and coaching, injuries etc. I think only Brees could have Given us winning records in 06 and 09. That's if he would have even agreed to come play for Nolan in the first place. Coulda shoulda woulda doesn't matter now, what matters is what we do starting sunday vs the Falcons.
Aaron Rodgers- we've been over this a million times. Nothing new here. I believe that Rodgers would have probably been a bit better but would not be nearly as successful if he was put into the same situation as Alex was.

Derek Anderson- one year wonder. Sucks.

Drew Brees- well who wouldn't have done thi knowing what we know lol?

Matt Shaub- Not realistic. We would have drafted or signed a QB by this point and it would have been too early to give up on him.

Kevin Kolb- I think he's overrated. We'll see though. Also s.ee what I said about Shaub

Dennis Dixon- meh

Michael Vick- We definitely should have signed him. I remember really wanting him and quite a few people still hung up about the dog-fighting but I could be making this memory up.

Jay Cutler- he's looking pretty good under Martz, have been underwhelmed up to this point though. The price tag is too hefty however, 2 1st rounders, a 3rd rounder and a starting quality QB in Orton. We didn't have a QB of Orton's caliber on our roster at that point so this likely would have included even more draft picks instead. Too crippling.

Donavan McNabb- The problem with him is that we don't run a WCO and he's been in one his entire career. Not a recipe for success.

Outside of the obvious hindsight choice of Brees (which we would have had no advance knowledge of him becoming a free agent at the time of the 2005 draft), I think Vick would have been the most reasonable acquisition.

Assuming we had drafted Alex and everything happened the same way up to that point, we would have not been sold on either Hill or Smith so bringing in Vick to get reacquainted with the nfl while we figured out whether Hill, Alex or neither was the answer at QB during 2009 would have been a very realistic and shrewd move looking back on it all.
I don't care who you have under center, if a QB goes through 6 OC's in 6 years, he is not going to be successful.

Not all Alex's fault.
Originally posted by 49ersinMaryland:
I don't care who you have under center, if a QB goes through 6 OC's in 6 years, he is not going to be successful.

Not all Alex's fault.

This isn't a question of being "Alex's fault", it's a question of "what if". If things don't turn around big time this season, I think even the most ardent Alex supporter can see that we will be making a change at QB next year.

Given that, the options are limited. There really don't seem to be any solid vet QBs available, nor many on the trade market, and all the possible higher end draft picks at this time have some pretty big question marks. Plus, even if we were absolutely sold on drafting a particular QB, starting over with a rookie after the struggles we have had trying to make that work for 6 years is kind of scary.

So, the question becomes, just for s**ts and giggles, what moves COULD we have made to not be in this situation of "Alex or bust" now?

And these were are options? Which one do you think would have served us best?
Originally posted by 49ersinMaryland:

Not all Alex's fault.

This isn't a question of being "Alex's fault", it's a question of "what if". If things don't turn around big time this season, I think even the most ardent Alex supporter can see that we will be making a change at QB next year.

Given that, the options are limited. There really don't seem to be any solid vet QBs available, nor many on the trade market, and all the possible higher end draft picks at this time have some pretty big question marks. Plus, even if we were absolutely sold on drafting a particular QB, starting over with a rookie after the struggles we have had trying to make that work for 6 years is kind of scary.

So, the question becomes, just for s**ts and giggles, what moves COULD we have made to not be in this situation of "Alex or bust" now?

And these were are options? Which one do you think would have served us best?

The problem with this team would not be solved with any of those guys, they would just be going through what Smith has been going through, and we'd have a s**t ton of chicken little knee jerk reactionaries calling for them to be cut too.
This thread is stupid. A lot of those choices from 2005-2008 are irrelevant other than Rodgers for the obvious reason

We were going to at least give him time to develop during his first 3 years. Has he developed into a franchise QB is subjective and the biggest division between us fans here in the zone.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

A. Because it's awesome.

B. Because it has been completely civil.

C. Because it's an interesting experiement to look at our options had we not picked Alex and/or made a change sooner.

D. Because what the hell is the deal with calling for locking threads just for the sake of locking threads or to get an extra post? It's a discussion going on by those interested, for those not, there are tons of other threads, and it's FAR from a bashing Alex or anyone else thread, just an examination of what has (for other teams) and hasn't (for us) happened in recent history of QB decisions.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

A. Because it's awesome.

B. Because it has been completely civil.

C. Because it's an interesting experiement to look at our options had we not picked Alex and/or made a change sooner.

D. Because what the hell is the deal with calling for locking threads just for the sake of locking threads or to get an extra post? It's a discussion going on by those interested, for those not, there are tons of other threads, and it's FAR from a bashing Alex or anyone else thread, just an examination of what has (for other teams) and hasn't (for us) happened in recent history of QB decisions.

There is not really a whole hell of a lot you can do about that now. Once upon a time the Chargers picked Ryan Leaf. Then they picked Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers after that.

So if it does not at first work out. Pick again. Luck or Locker. We should be in position to do so if we keep going like we are. The future is more important than the past. It's not 2005 anymore and we can't get it back.