LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

QBs we could have had.....

Shop Find 49ers gear online

QBs we could have had.....

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
It really wouldn't have mattered who we had drafted or signed.

We had Dennis Erickson, replaced him with Mike Nolan, and replaced him with Mike Singletary. There is our problem. We haven't had a legit NFL Head Coach on this team in the past decade.

True. But you aren't taking it far enough... Who hires all of those?....

Well......nothing I can do about that one. Until Jed decides that he needs to hire a President of Football Operations and give him full control of the football side of the organization. A Bill Parcels or Mike Holmgren are the obvious examples of this. Find a football guy who knows what you need in a coach.....and won't be wowed by a guy with a bunch of fancy pie charts or a motivational speech.

The interview should be having the candidate go over the Xs and Os, have him break down film right there. See if he can come up with a gameplan.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Last year I was advocating for signing Michael Vick. Hindsight is 20/20 though. And this thread equates to nothing more than a soggy tissue.

That looks more like foresight than hindsight.
Originally posted by danimal:
this is NOT an exercise in hindsight, because the OP listed options MANY O ZONER were begging for at the time they were available.

And this does help the future.

Because maybe next time we don't have so many scared fans who go with the "but it will cost two 1st picks for so and so"

more importantly, maybe the ownership and mgmt learns a thing or two from all this

Sorry Dan, but you are wrong, unless they are an option now. I agree with the last sentiment. This is a young team from top to bottom, inexperienced in many key positions, and with a fan base that whines more than Fran Drescher.

We had Dennis Erickson, replaced him with Mike Nolan, and replaced him with Mike Singletary. There is our problem. We haven't had a legit NFL Head Coach on this team in the past decade.

Well......nothing I can do about that one. Until Jed decides that he needs to hire a President of Football Operations and give him full control of the football side of the organization. A Bill Parcels or Mike Holmgren are the obvious examples of this. Find a football guy who knows what you need in a coach.....and won't be wowed by a guy with a bunch of fancy pie charts or a motivational speech.

The interview should be having the candidate go over the Xs and Os, have him break down film right there. See if he can come up with a gameplan.

See, that would involve someone doing the hiring knowing something about football and/or Xs and Os, and sadly, that has not been an option.

PS- Stop making so much sense in NinerTalk.

But you see until he decide he needs a Bill Parcels type of Mike Holmgren type running all football operations we are doomed. It will be 10 more years of new coaches, coordinators, new players in the draft but the same results. You need great strength and experience at the top.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
this is NOT an exercise in hindsight, because the OP listed options MANY O ZONER were begging for at the time they were available.

Because maybe next time we don't have so many scared fans who go with the "but it will cost two 1st picks for so and so"

more importantly, maybe the ownership and mgmt learns a thing or two from all this

Sorry Dan, but you are wrong, unless they are an option now. I agree with the last sentiment. This is a young team from top to bottom, inexperienced in many key positions, and with a fan base that whines more than Fran Drescher.

Come talk to me about a whiny fan base once the drought is over...until then, it is what I call behaving appropriately.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Come talk to me about a whiny fan base once the drought is over...until then, it is what I call behaving appropriately.
Maybe we can get it right this year when we pick ahead of Buffalo for a QB in the draft.
I was all rigt with Smith being drafted... That said, it was blatantly obvious by the beginning of last season that he was a bust. Vick for 2 years at $6.6 million is a STEAL! One that may very well propel the Eagles deep into the playoffs. Lest we forget, Vick was the business before he got locked up, and since coming back, each week it is becoming obvious that he hasn't lost a step.
GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO we not recall we had Dixon in for a workout prior to that draft. actually we brought him in as an undrafted rookie.
Originally posted by wailers15:
GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO we not recall we had Dixon in for a workout prior to that draft. actually we brought him in as an undrafted rookie.

Pretty sure we couldn't have had him in as an undrafted rookie as the Steelers drafted him in the 5th round. We didnt' have a 5th rounder because of that Bears thing with Briggs.

We would have had to have used our 4th rounder to draft him, which we used on Cody Wallace.

^It's insane how good that guy has gotten.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
if the 9ers woulda drafted aaron rodgers it woulda been the same thing, if you would put aaron rodgers as arookie on our 2005 team you think he woulda been any good, now if you put alex smith learning from favre and satrting on the 2009 packers team i think theres a diffrence there.

derek anderson..you serious one good year with the browns if that waht makes him so diffrent than smith?

drew brees well what can you say NO ONE wanted to take the risk on a QB coming from shoulder surgery, the saints at the time were in more desperate need at the time.

matt schaub was irrelevant when he was traded he starded a handfull of games before his trade why would the niners pull the trigger on him.

kevin kolb has done NOTHING and if he was he has a good team

dennis dixon same as kolb

michael vick i agree we shoulda jumped on him 100%

jay cutler ewwwww his ego with VD ego, crabtrees ego, singletary ego.that spells disaster.

donovan macnabb im STILL MAD ABOUT THAT ONE

what im trying to say is these QBs have shined because theyve had good teams put any of them in the situation alex smith was put in and i dont think they woulda been any good either...
Originally posted by HERN:
if the 9ers woulda drafted aaron rodgers it woulda been the same thing, if you would put aaron rodgers as arookie on our 2005 team you think he woulda been any good, now if you put alex smith learning from favre and satrting on the 2009 packers team i think theres a diffrence there.

derek anderson..you serious one good year with the browns if that waht makes him so diffrent than smith?

drew brees well what can you say NO ONE wanted to take the risk on a QB coming from shoulder surgery, the saints at the time were in more desperate need at the time.

matt schaub was irrelevant when he was traded he starded a handfull of games before his trade why would the niners pull the trigger on him.

kevin kolb has done NOTHING and if he was he has a good team

dennis dixon same as kolb

michael vick i agree we shoulda jumped on him 100%

jay cutler ewwwww his ego with VD ego, crabtrees ego, singletary ego.that spells disaster.

donovan macnabb im STILL MAD ABOUT THAT ONE

what im trying to say is these QBs have shined because theyve had good teams put any of them in the situation alex smith was put in and i dont think they woulda been any good either...

Alexcuse.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
^It's insane how good that guy has gotten.

he is a f**king baller. I love that s**t he does with the pretend belt.....he has so much confidence....I don't think anything was going to keep him down

Favre and Rodgers is going to go down like Montana and Young. As improbable as it was, they actually replaced their HOF QB
[ Edited by danimal on Sep 29, 2010 at 4:40 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone