There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QBs we could have had.....

QBs we could have had.....

Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Originally posted by Otter:
2005- Aaron Rodgers (replace A. Smith as 1sr rd pick)
2005- Derek Anderson (replace Rasheed Marshal, 5th rd pick)
2006- Drew Brees (sign as FA 6yr 60mil)
2007-Matt Shaub (2 2nd round picks, J. Staley and Rachal)
2007-Kevin Kolb (2nd 1st round, instead of Joe Staley)
2008- Dennis Dixon (replace 4th rounder Cody Wallace)
2009- Michael Vick (Sign as FA, 2yr 6.6 mil)
2009- Jay Cuter (2 firsts + a 3rd,A. Davis, Crabtree,Coffee)
2010- Donavan Mcnabb (2010 2nd rd pick, T Mays & 2011 3rd

I can't believe you guys are pining over Jay Cutler? Jay, of the I'm going to throw it in to double and triple coverage and hope my receiver comes down with it, Cutlers.

Derek Anderson, Kolb, Dixon, Vick, and McNabb, no thanks.

We would have ruined Rodgers, just like the Texans ruined Carr. We didn't have the coaching or personnel on staff to groom him in the player he is today.

Brees and Schaub are the only ones I'd take from that list. And I don't think we had the personnel to make Schaub a success either in 2007. 2006, Smith was coming off a year in which he seemed to be heading in the right direction and we were paying him a ton of money. So while I would like to have had Brees, I understand the factors around why he wasn't pursued.

Exactly. Some people, 41% apparently, still don't get that. Rodgers would have been beaten and broken just like Smith(and Carr). You people don't think sitting for 3 years behind a legend, learning, and then inheriting a 13-3 team has anything to do with his success?

Anyway, I agree on Brees and Shaub.

Yeah, that's why I would have prefered bringing in a vet via FA or trade at some point. If Alex and Aaron traded situations, they might have traded careers. Maybe not, but it seems more likely than not.

But a vet who could have dealt with some of our weaknesses better and/or helped improve them more due to experience would have mad all the difference in the world. Especially in those years when we seemed to be "turning a corner", but were getting killed by QB play.
Last year I was advocating for signing Michael Vick. Hindsight is 20/20 though. And this thread equates to nothing more than a soggy tissue.
There is no way any team that spent the first pick of the NFL draft on a QB in one year and then would go ahead and pay for a high priced FA QB the very next year. So eventhough Brees was out there for the 49ers to go after, at the time it didn't make sense. Aaron Rodgers was the best option at the time looking back. But I still don't believe we had the coaching staff in place to devlope Rodgers into the QB he is now.

Dereck Anderson doesn't need to be on this list...he sucks

And N.Davis is > then Dixion.
[ Edited by Hitman49 on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:44 PM ]
If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, yes we get it in the past we have made huge personnel mistakes, how does this help us going forward?
Bottom line:
Alex Smith yea or nay?
David Car yea or nay?
Troy Smith yea or nay?
Davis yea or nay?

we got four pick one!

I say we stay with this Smith til the bye and if there is no improvement, try the other Smith!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, yes we get it in the past we have made huge personnel mistakes, how does this help us going forward?
Bottom line:
Alex Smith yea or nay?
David Car yea or nay?
Troy Smith yea or nay?
Davis yea or nay?

we got four pick one!

I say we stay with this Smith til the bye and if there is no improvement, try the other Smith!

Smith probably gives us the best chance for the rest of the year. But I wouldn't be shocked if NONE of those guys (other than MAYBE N. Davis as a backup) are on our roster next year.

It's just tough, though a little therapudic to look back and vent over what could have been.....
  • Antix
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,768
I really hate threads like this. Its just so crystal clear when you're looking back at things but a helluva lot more difficult when you have to look toward an unclear future.


We can sit here all day and repick drafts and sign different FAs but it's all fantasy land and doesn't change what we have on our squad now so what difference does it make? Half those QBs on that list would have been crapped on by most on this board anyway.
You could have had the hot girl in High School if you just asked her out. But you didn't. So what's your point?
It really wouldn't have mattered who we had drafted or signed.

We had Dennis Erickson, replaced him with Mike Nolan, and replaced him with Mike Singletary. There is our problem. We haven't had a legit NFL Head Coach on this team in the past decade.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
It really wouldn't have mattered who we had drafted or signed.

We had Dennis Erickson, replaced him with Mike Nolan, and replaced him with Mike Singletary. There is our problem. We haven't had a legit NFL Head Coach on this team in the past decade.

True. But you aren't taking it far enough... Who hires all of those?....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You could have had the hot girl in High School if you just asked her out. But you didn't. So what's your point?

That I did get the hot girl in HS, because I:

a. Identified a need (someone to play with my penis)
b. Took action (got her alone in a room with me and my penis)
c. Got the right person for the job (not a rookie who had never seen a penis before.)

Whereas, we with mangement, coaching staff and QB have failed to do so when the opportunity presented itself.

And it makes me a sad panda.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You could have had the hot girl in High School if you just asked her out. But you didn't. So what's your point?

That I did get the hot girl in HS, because I:

a. Identified a need (someone to play with my penis)
b. Took action (got her alone in a room with me and my penis)
c. Got the right person for the job (not a rookie who had never seen a penis before.)

Whereas, we with mangement, coaching staff and QB have failed to do so when the opportunity presented itself.

And it makes me a sad panda.

BRAVO... I think I love you... but not in a gay way!
this is NOT an exercise in hindsight, because the OP listed options MANY O ZONER were begging for at the time they were available.

And this does help the future.

Because maybe next time we don't have so many scared fans who go with the "but it will cost two 1st picks for so and so"

more importantly, maybe the ownership and mgmt learns a thing or two from all this
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You could have had the hot girl in High School if you just asked her out. But you didn't. So what's your point?

That I did get the hot girl in HS, because I:

a. Identified a need (someone to play with my penis)
b. Took action (got her alone in a room with me and my penis)
c. Got the right person for the job (not a rookie who had never seen a penis before.)

Whereas, we with mangement, coaching staff and QB have failed to do so when the opportunity presented itself.

And it makes me a sad panda.

BRAVO... I think I love you... but not in a gay way!

x2
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Originally posted by Otter:
2005- Aaron Rodgers (replace A. Smith as 1sr rd pick)
2005- Derek Anderson (replace Rasheed Marshal, 5th rd pick)
2006- Drew Brees (sign as FA 6yr 60mil)
2007-Matt Shaub (2 2nd round picks, J. Staley and Rachal)
2007-Kevin Kolb (2nd 1st round, instead of Joe Staley)
2008- Dennis Dixon (replace 4th rounder Cody Wallace)
2009- Michael Vick (Sign as FA, 2yr 6.6 mil)
2009- Jay Cuter (2 firsts + a 3rd,A. Davis, Crabtree,Coffee)
2010- Donavan Mcnabb (2010 2nd rd pick, T Mays & 2011 3rd

I can't believe you guys are pining over Jay Cutler? Jay, of the I'm going to throw it in to double and triple coverage and hope my receiver comes down with it, Cutlers.

Derek Anderson, Kolb, Dixon, Vick, and McNabb, no thanks.

We would have ruined Rodgers, just like the Texans ruined Carr. We didn't have the coaching or personnel on staff to groom him in the player he is today.

Brees and Schaub are the only ones I'd take from that list. And I don't think we had the personnel to make Schaub a success either in 2007. 2006, Smith was coming off a year in which he seemed to be heading in the right direction and we were paying him a ton of money. So while I would like to have had Brees, I understand the factors around why he wasn't pursued.

Exactly. Some people, 41% apparently, still don't get that. Rodgers would have been beaten and broken just like Smith(and Carr). You people don't think sitting for 3 years behind a legend, learning, and then inheriting a 13-3 team has anything to do with his success?

Anyway, I agree on Brees and Shaub.

All QBs are not created equal!

We didn't ruin Smith...he wasn't good enough for the NFL.

We wouldn't have ruined Rodgers...why? Because he would've figured it out.

Good players aren't held down by circumstance. They perform.

Every successful NFL player can give you a handful of reasons for why they shouldn't have made it. The fact is, the good ones figure it out.


- Steve Young, HOF QB