There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QBs we could have had.....

QBs we could have had.....

Originally posted by mcbaes72:
1st choice: Brees
2nd choice: Rodgers

Either of those would've made me extremely happy. This is depressing!

Kind of is, isn't it. And that doesn't count lesser moves (like Delhomme, Anderson as FAs), or funky "what if" trades for some of the successful higher round draft picks (Ryan, Sanchez, Flacco, etc..).

Pretty much half the NFL has found a legit starting QB since 2005, and we have whiffed on every opportunity to do so.

Even the moves that would hurt a little, like giving up VD to draft Cutler or Staley for Shaub or Kolb, seem like they would have put us well ahead of where we are now.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
There is a lot of players we shoul have drafted. Every team in the league can say that. Every team passed on Tom Brady 5 times. He was picked in the 6th round. So what's your point?

What's this woulda, shoulda, coulda stuff going to do for us now? We just have to build from here.

I think the point the OP is making is the QBs listed were realistic and reasonable at the time. They were QBs we actually suggested here. Brady was not on anyone's radar when he was drafted.
I don't think we'd pick anyone in 2006 or 2007 because we weren't going to give up on Smith that early. But I mean s**t I'd take Aaron Rodgers, obviously. I wanted him in the beginning. Didn't he say something along the lines of "I'm a Bay Area kid and I'd love to be a 49er" ??
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
There is a lot of players we shoul have drafted. Every team in the league can say that. Every team passed on Tom Brady 5 times. He was picked in the 6th round. So what's your point?

What's this woulda, shoulda, coulda stuff going to do for us now? We just have to build from here.

I think the point the OP is making is the QBs listed were realistic and reasonable at the time. They were QBs we actually suggested here. Brady was not on anyone's radar when he was drafted.

There is problems on this team deeper than Alex Smith. How do you explain idiot coaches and coordinators year after year? If Alex is the problem how do you explain sticking with him for 6 years?

Like I said our problems are much deeper than Alex Smith...
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:00 PM ]
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ritchie:
I'm personally enthused by our current team and specially our QB situation.

Signed,

Niner fan from alternate universe.

How does one reach that alternate universe.

I have built the parallel universe travel machine. Just give me your back acct. number and the machine will be on its way.

That sounds like an awesome device. Do you want my SSN too?

Nah. This is not a scam. I just need a credit card number, date of expiration, and security code.
What's even sadder than the list is the fact that there will be many new opportunities next year and I guarantee we still wont have the balls to pull the trigger on an elite QB!

There is problems on this team deeper than Alex Smith. How do you explain idiot coaches and coordinators year after year? If Alex is the problem how do you explain sticking with him for 6 years?

Like I said our problems are much deeper than Alex Smith...

You're not gonna get an argument from me on that. I think it would be even more fun to create a list of coaches that were viable and realistic options.

I'm also still mad about the lawsuit settlement that gave our team to the wrong DeBartolo. I know its been many years, but I'm still bitter and I felt at that point we may be the new Bengals when Young retires.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I don't think we'd pick anyone in 2006 or 2007 because we weren't going to give up on Smith that early. But I mean s**t I'd take Aaron Rodgers, obviously. I wanted him in the beginning. Didn't he say something along the lines of "I'm a Bay Area kid and I'd love to be a 49er" ??

Yeah, but the thought here is partially assuming we didn't take Smith. If we had either taken Rodgers or gone another direction with the top pick in 2005.

But even with Smith on the roster, some of the later moves were very possible.
hindsight is 20/20
  • Otter
  • Veteran
2005- Aaron Rodgers (replace A. Smith as 1sr rd pick)
2005- Derek Anderson (replace Rasheed Marshal, 5th rd pick)
2006- Drew Brees (sign as FA 6yr 60mil)
2007-Matt Shaub (2 2nd round picks, J. Staley and Rachal)
2007-Kevin Kolb (2nd 1st round, instead of Joe Staley)
2008- Dennis Dixon (replace 4th rounder Cody Wallace)
2009- Michael Vick (Sign as FA, 2yr 6.6 mil)
2009- Jay Cuter (2 firsts + a 3rd,A. Davis, Crabtree,Coffee)
2010- Donavan Mcnabb (2010 2nd rd pick, T Mays & 2011 3rd

I can't believe you guys are pining over Jay Cutler? Jay, of the I'm going to throw it in to double and triple coverage and hope my receiver comes down with it, Cutlers.

Derek Anderson, Kolb, Dixon, Vick, and McNabb, no thanks.

We would have ruined Rodgers, just like the Texans ruined Carr. We didn't have the coaching or personnel on staff to groom him in the player he is today.

Brees and Schaub are the only ones I'd take from that list. And I don't think we had the personnel to make Schaub a success either in 2007. 2006, Smith was coming off a year in which he seemed to be heading in the right direction and we were paying him a ton of money. So while I would like to have had Brees, I understand the factors around why he wasn't pursued.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
1st choice: Brees
2nd choice: Rodgers

Either of those would've made me extremely happy. This is depressing!

Kind of is, isn't it. And that doesn't count lesser moves (like Delhomme, Anderson as FAs), or funky "what if" trades for some of the successful higher round draft picks (Ryan, Sanchez, Flacco, etc..).

Pretty much half the NFL has found a legit starting QB since 2005, and we have whiffed on every opportunity to do so.

Even the moves that would hurt a little, like giving up VD to draft Cutler or Staley for Shaub or Kolb, seem like they would have put us well ahead of where we are now.

I would prefer Ryan from those you mentioned, too. Also, add McNabb to a list of possibilities. As productive as VD is, even Cutler could do better had we drafted him. Sooo many possibilities...and here we are now just wishing. Ugh!
Originally posted by Ninersdeep:
hindsight is 20/20

Yeah, but this is more than just hindsight. We obviously don't know for sure what our team management thought and how close any of these moves may or may not have been from happening, but almost all of them were very much discussed here and in the national media as realistic possibilities at the time.
I don't understand the benefit of threads like this. How do we benefit from beating ourselves over the head with all the people we could've had?

We also could've made a move to get Dan Marino, John Elway, Randy Moss, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Adrian Peterson...or any great player to ever play football. What's the benefit of playing this game? Every single team can do this with a position of need.

On a related note... You could've invested in Apple stock in the 1980's, could've bet all your money on Boise State beating Oklahoma and could've spent more time in high school hitting on that geeky chick who is now super hot.

What's the point?
Originally posted by okdkid:
I don't understand the benefit of threads like this. How do we benefit from beating ourselves over the head with all the people we could've had?

We also could've made a move to get Dan Marino, John Elway, Randy Moss, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Adrian Peterson...or any great player to ever play football. What's the benefit of playing this game? Every single team can do this with a position of need.

On a related note... You could've invested in Apple stock in the 1980's, could've bet all your money on Boise State beating Oklahoma and could've spent more time in high school hitting on that geeky chick who is now super hot.

What's the point?

Those two QBs would have made no sense. We already had a Super Bowl winner at the position when they were drafted. We had a Pro Bowler in Gore when AP was drafted. We had Jerry Rice and T.O. when Moss was drafted. The other guys weren't really viable options at the time.

I do agree that it doesn't help anything to dream of what we could have had. It's a moot point now.

Also I did hit on the geeky chick but she wouldn't put out, so I directed my attention toward the hotter slut. I would make that decision again every day of the week.
[ Edited by LAFortyNinerfan on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Otter:
2005- Aaron Rodgers (replace A. Smith as 1sr rd pick)
2005- Derek Anderson (replace Rasheed Marshal, 5th rd pick)
2006- Drew Brees (sign as FA 6yr 60mil)
2007-Matt Shaub (2 2nd round picks, J. Staley and Rachal)
2007-Kevin Kolb (2nd 1st round, instead of Joe Staley)
2008- Dennis Dixon (replace 4th rounder Cody Wallace)
2009- Michael Vick (Sign as FA, 2yr 6.6 mil)
2009- Jay Cuter (2 firsts + a 3rd,A. Davis, Crabtree,Coffee)
2010- Donavan Mcnabb (2010 2nd rd pick, T Mays & 2011 3rd

I can't believe you guys are pining over Jay Cutler? Jay, of the I'm going to throw it in to double and triple coverage and hope my receiver comes down with it, Cutlers.

Derek Anderson, Kolb, Dixon, Vick, and McNabb, no thanks.

We would have ruined Rodgers, just like the Texans ruined Carr. We didn't have the coaching or personnel on staff to groom him in the player he is today.

Brees and Schaub are the only ones I'd take from that list. And I don't think we had the personnel to make Schaub a success either in 2007. 2006, Smith was coming off a year in which he seemed to be heading in the right direction and we were paying him a ton of money. So while I would like to have had Brees, I understand the factors around why he wasn't pursued.

Exactly. Some people, 41% apparently, still don't get that. Rodgers would have been beaten and broken just like Smith(and Carr). You people don't think sitting for 3 years behind a legend, learning, and then inheriting a 13-3 team has anything to do with his success?

Anyway, I agree on Brees and Shaub.