LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

QBs we could have had.....

Shop Find 49ers gear online

QBs we could have had.....

Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by danimal:
In March 2005 I wanted the Niners to draft Ronnie Brown or Braylon Edwards...and save QB for 2006

By March 2006 I wanted Jay Cutler over Leinart and Young. We could have drafted Cutler(about the same draft position with a Rattay led 2005 squad is a safe assumption)

In 2009 I could not believe Cutler was going to be available again. I wanted him really bad but knew the Niners did not have the balls to make that trade.

After Cutler joined the Bears I wanted the Niners to draft Sanchez but knew they still were in love with Alex

Yeah, I didn't include Cutler in the draft because I figured most would still take VD.

I'm not necessarily one of those, but I tried to only include trades/draft picks that could really have happened and that people might have preferred to reality.

Personally, even with his breakout years, I would have rather had Cutler than VD because QB is so much more critical than TE though.

We never had a shot at Sanchez though. He went 5th and we had the 10th pick.

I think you did a great job. Those were all realistic options at the time.

Drafting a QB in 2006 was not an option, we already drafted Smith at that point so good exclusion there.

We could have traded up for Sanchez, but thats still a good exclusion because we could have drafted up for lots of QBs over the last couple of years.
[ Edited by danimal on Sep 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Not going after Cutler or McNabb were the biggest mistakes.
Personally, the thing I would have liked most would have been Brees, but that is kind of a catch-22, because it means we didn't draft Alex, or any QB in 2005. So, it was probably a RB, (R. Brown, C. Williams, C. Benson), so that means no Gore.

In an absolutely perfect world, maybe we take Merriman first overall in 2005, still get Gore in round 3 and sign Brees in 2006. But frankly, if it meant we got Gore in 2005 and Brees in 2006, I would care what we did with our first rounder in 2005. It could have been super-bust "Pac-Man" Jones at this point if we ended up with a legit QB AND still got Gore.
Originally posted by danimal:
In March 2005 I wanted the Niners to draft Ronnie Brown or Braylon Edwards...and save QB for 2006

By March 2006 I wanted Jay Cutler over Leinart and Young. We could have drafted Cutler(about the same draft position with a Rattay led 2005 squad is a safe assumption)

In 2009 I could not believe Cutler was going to be available again. I wanted him really bad but knew the Niners did not have the balls to make that trade.

After Cutler joined the Bears I wanted the Niners to draft Sanchez but knew they still were in love with Alex

I agree with dam near all of this. I'm a Michigan homer and wanted them to take Braylon. I like Cutler over Young and Leinart. I did want them to go after Cutler in 09 but I wasn't all that down when he went to the Bears b/c of his history of making poor decisions. I was all for them going for Sanchez.
I'm personally enthused by our current team and specially our QB situation.

Signed,

Niner fan from alternate universe.
Originally posted by ritchie:

Signed,

In that alternate universe did Smith become Rodgers and vice-versa?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Signed,

How does one reach that alternate universe.
Originally posted by susweel:

Signed,

Play Madden.

Signed,

I have built the parallel universe travel machine. Just give me your back acct. number and the machine will be on its way.
[ Edited by amir_tn80 on Sep 29, 2010 at 1:53 PM ]

1st choice: Brees
2nd choice: Rodgers

Either of those would've made me extremely happy. This is depressing!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Lysergic acid diethylamide.

Signed,

Marijuana is legal in that universe isn't it?
Originally posted by amir_tn80:

Signed,

I have built the parallel universe travel machine. Just give me your back acct. number and the machine will be on its way.

That sounds like an awesome device. Do you want my SSN too?
There is a lot of players we shoul have drafted. Every team in the league can say that. Every team passed on Tom Brady 5 times. He was picked in the 6th round. So what's your point?

What's this woulda, shoulda, coulda stuff going to do for us now? We just have to build from here.

Share 49ersWebzone