There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Article by Ann killion 49ers

Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by GhostOfKezar:
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
MAN..I knew this Hiring was gonna backfire..We should've waited to see the market..Now we missed on Shanahan, Holmgren, the only possibiltiy if Sing and Johnson fail is Gruden..

I miss the 80's & 90's 49ers..when we had a vision

There's Cowher!

Cowher's a east coast guy. He won't relocate out west.

And thats based off what? Because he coached the Steelers he will not go to SF to coach? So Shannny would never go to Denver especially a place as far as DC
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Originally posted by redmanc07:
MAN..I knew this Hiring was gonna backfire..We should've waited to see the market..Now we missed on Shanahan, Holmgren, the only possibiltiy if Sing and Johnson fail is Gruden..

There's Cowher!

And thats based off what? Because he coached the Steelers he will not go to SF to coach? So Shannny would never go to Denver especially a place as far as DC

There is plethora of instances and cases where coaches and players turning down a team based on its location. His lived in NC for a while now, and with the passing of his wife I don't think he would drift to far away from his kids. As far as "Shanny" goes Shanny went to DC because he got paid s**t load of money. You really think, with the history of the Yorks that they would pay a coach $7 million a year for the next five years? I highly doubt it.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
that article is RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!!

Man, you should of heard this guy from SI Magazine on the Opening Drive this morning. He said Raye and Sing were trying to run a 70's style Offense that was doomed to fail in an age of Scheme and game preparation. He also said Raye was Sing's fall guy.

It's not just local but nationally we, Sing, the whole Organization is being held up to the light for all to see. A damn shame but right now, a necessary evil that I approve of fully.

I'm glad everyone is noticing. Maybe it'll force the organization to do something about it.

Why do people keep saying this? We didn't miss out on these guys. They were not available at the time.
that article is RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!!

Man, you should of heard this guy from SI Magazine on the Opening Drive this morning. He said Raye and Sing were trying to run a 70's style Offense that was doomed to fail in an age of Scheme and game preparation. He also said Raye was Sing's fall guy.

It's not just local but nationally we, Sing, the whole Organization is being held up to the light for all to see. A damn shame but right now, a necessary evil that I approve of fully.

I'm glad everyone is noticing. Maybe it'll force the organization to do something about it.

There's Cowher!

That is an ignorant and misinformed statement. How do you know? And if you pay someone some serious cash, they will pretty much move anywhere.
Originally posted by Hollywood:

Why do people keep saying this? We didn't miss out on these guys. They were not available at the time.

not at the direct moment they were not available when Prince Yorkie Dorkie handed the reigns to Mike Singletary but they were available a week after PYD hired MS. do a little research before popping off.
Originally posted by MBniner:

There's Cowher!

That is an ignorant and misinformed statement. How do you know? And if you pay someone some serious cash, they will pretty much move anywhere.

You ought to know this is the webzone. counselor, this is where brewsky rules.
Originally posted by rudedog:
Originally posted by jed_york:
Why do you people believe this crap. Ann Killion has played on how mabny football team? How many teams has she coached? -0- The only reason these people get these jobs writting this crap is because they are to lazy to work and to dumb to steal!

Annie makes 6 digits with the first not necessarily an 1. She has Ivy league degree. Respected nationally.

You?

So while she was getting her ivy league degree did she play any football or do any coaching? I work with alot of school teachers and they have degrees and I sometimes wonder who ties their shoes in the morning. They think they know alot also. Just because someone make big bucks doesn't mean they really know anything. They hire her because idiots like you believe their crap.

So in your opinion, idiots like me and believes in someone who is educated and have connections to the subject matter.

What about you? who do you believe? and what's your qualification?
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
i've said it before and will say it again for the millionth time... the dorks are looking for a way out of SF and into LA. they're in no way about winning. if they were about winning they would hire somebody with coaching history. not these numbnuts whom are bunch of idiots. 1st you fire a coach over the phone then hire a drunk, then hire a noname defensive coordinator whom nobody in the world have had heard of and then now paying for a name in Mike Singletary.

simply the dorks don't want a coach with a good track record for they would have to pay them and if they don't pay that coach i.e Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden and others then the mass sports media and fans will bring negativity to the Dorks. this way the blames are only put on the lame duck coaches. sad shiite. take the team to LA and leave us the 49ers name to SF. fcuk off areholes.

Lets me get this straight. Jed handed out over 40 million in guaranteed cash on the extensions to Willis and Davis. But you think he's too cheap to give 6-7 million to a coach like Grudan?

Jed made his first mistake hiring Singletary because he got caught in all the emotions of our 5-4 finish two years ago. He'll have hit shot to redeem himself after the season.

Please correct me or help me elaborate if you can.

But, I was under the impression that the money paid out to players is less of the owners money and more of the 49ers share of the NFL salary pool for the players.

And the money for coaches is more directly linked to the owners wallet.

It is my understanding that cheap owners are not called cheap owners because of player contracts, but because of......

-pattern of hiring cheaper staffs
-spending less money in the areas where the NFL has no governance...e.g. making players pay for their own water
-unwilling to help pay for stadium

So the money they committed to upgrading the practice facilities and the POS stadium they currently play in don't count?

Last time I check the stadium measure passed. We'll see if they can come up with the financing to get it built.
The lady has a point. We're looking like one of the bottom teams in the NFL, not just in the division.
Quote:
The reasons everyone thought the 49ers would win the NFC West is that it is such a lousy division and because the offense would thrive with new continuity.

Turns out the NFC West is a lousy division -- one currently made even worse by the 49ers presence.

oooooooooooo That hurts!

I think we are a good team...... and no Coach, our players are not struggling because we they "dumb" like you said. We are struggling because our Coaches are making "dumb" decisions.
Why do you people believe this crap. Ann Killion has played on how mabny football team? How many teams has she coached? -0- The only reason these people get these jobs writting this crap is because they are to lazy to work and to dumb to steal!

Annie makes 6 digits with the first not necessarily an 1. She has Ivy league degree. Respected nationally.

You?

So while she was getting her ivy league degree did she play any football or do any coaching? I work with alot of school teachers and they have degrees and I sometimes wonder who ties their shoes in the morning. They think they know alot also. Just because someone make big bucks doesn't mean they really know anything. They hire her because idiots like you believe their crap.

So in your opinion, idiots like me and believes in someone who is educated and have connections to the subject matter.

Nice to see you back under a different handle.
Originally posted by MBniner:

You?

Nice to see you back under a different handle.

NHAP is back? i always had suspicions...
I understand what Killion is saying but again, this article is 20/20 hind sight.

So before she gets on her high horse, I would like to quote all of you here article she wrote in 2008. Ann says:

Killion Quick Column: Singletary is the right hire.

Posted by akillion on December 28th, 2008 at 6:45 pm | Categorized as Uncategorized

The 49ers did the right thing. The smart thing. The popular thing.

Even stranger, they did it quickly.

When was the last time you could say that?

Perhaps never in the Yorks’ tenure. Until Sunday.

The 49ers wasted no time. They did no dithering. They didn’t outthink themselves. They named Mike Singletary head coach within minutes of the end of the 2008 regular season.

A season which, by the way, ended with a win, bringing Singletary’s record to 5-4 and giving him a running start on 2009.

“I don’t think we could have written up a script any better than how it happened,” newly appointed team president Jed York said in announcing the hiring.

Well, sure they could have. The 49ers could have fired Mike Nolan a year ago, rather than wasting the first seven games of this season. A true fairy tale script would have had Singletary’s team clinching a playoff berth with Sunday’s win, rather than missing the playoffs for the sixth straight year.

But we digress. And if you had been on the field at Candlestick when Singletary walked off – after a come-from-behind victory over Washington – you would have thought the team had made the playoffs. The stadium was rocking and the new coach was treated as the utlimate rock star. It’s been a long time since there’s been that kind of excitement in the old concrete dump.

In ten weeks, Singletary has completely changed the vibe around the 49ers.

And on Oct. 21, after Nolan was fired, Singletary finally had a platform to let it all come out. He had a few early missteps – like his rant after the first game and the revelation that he had dropped his pants at halftime – but wasn’t discouraged.

“It wasn’t embarrassing,” Kim said. “It was more like ‘Note to self: don’t do that again.’”

And when he apologized to the fans as he walked off the field for the first game, it was genuine.

“I think that was pent up for the last few years,” Kim said.

There’s been so much losing, so much frustration, so little direction or passion around the 49ers for so many years. Then Singletary fell into the Yorks lap, through no grand plan or scheme or football insight of their own. And – in nine weeks – things feel totally different.

Like his wife said, the man likes to build things. And you can already see the new building taking shape.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/nfl/2008/12/28/killion-quick-column-singletary-is-the-right-hire/

-----------------------------

Proof for you in black and white these columnists are not experts, they can't see around the corner, they get caught up in the hype and trumpet the same premature declarations of victory that we do. They aren't special and certainly when they are exposed for the hypocrisy they write its even more damning.

Ann? Really? The Yorks are that bad? Then why the praise in 2008? Interesting.

Whenever you have an organization, there rarely is ONE person to blame for its product. Usually, it's a few people, certain circumstances and bad luck that result in a bad result. It's no all on the Yorks. It's not all on Singletary. It's no all on the OC. It's no all on the players. All of the events that brought down a franchise didn't happen in one season but took a long time to accomplish where we are today. Even if we had new owners, a new coach, new players it doesn't mean that immediate success is guaranteed. Sure there are certain moves that will make us all feel better (as it did Ann in 2008) but obviously it's not always the case.

What the 49ers need in my humble opinion is what Ann describes as football expertise. That helps. However some luck in involved here. Grabbing the right coach at the right time with the right player available. We were lucky to have one of the greatest of all time - and he did his job so well, the team was set for 2 decades. That's not just skill but some luck. However, Walsh had his mistakes (Donahue) and the Yorks leaned on him when they felt they had no one else. People think it's easy to just put out a job description out that and just say "I want to pay the best person out there to come run my organization". There are MANY NFL retreads that were NOT successful.

I'm not defending Singletary - of course I think he's responsible. I'm not defending the Yorks because I believe they are responsible for their part in this. I'm defending certain players who should be showing more than they've shown thus far.

What I am defending is this notion that if we just do THIS or THAT then suddenly things will turn around for the entire franchise... or this notion that ONE group or ONE person is responsible for all the teams problems. As Ann herself alludes in the OP article, the 49ers need a vision and it takes more than one or a couple of people to implement a successful, organizational-wide, franchise-winning vision.