LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 326 users in the forums

RAYE FIRED

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dald1:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Hopefully this means no more Moran Norris as well

ditto...and hopefully we can actually see westbrook and gore in the same backfield...raye is not smart enough to even create a way for both of them to be in one play together at the same time.

Johnson, 43, spent the 2008 season out of football before joining the 49ers' staff last year as quarterbacks coach. During his time away from the game, he studied aspects of the college spread offense and how it can apply to the NFL game.

Johnson visited Ohio State, where he spent time with coach Jim Tressel and quarterbacks coach Joe Daniels, his former mentor at Akron. Johnson played football at Akron. He also met with Ron Zook’s staff at Illinois. Johnson said last year that he saw Illinois’ spread offense as the most applicable to the NFL game because of the Illini’s ability to run the ball successfully.

"Mike has everything it takes to be a successful coordinator or head coach in the NFL," Oregon State coach Mike Riley told me last year. "He's got the attention to detail, the character, charisma and physical presence. He's the complete package as a coach and person."

Riley's relationship with Johnson began in 1991 as head coach of the San Antonio Riders of the now-defunct World League of American Football. Johnson was among the Arizona Cardinals' final cuts in 1990 before signing with the Riders. Riley later hired Johnson to serve on his coaching staffs with Oregon State and the Chargers.

Read more: 49ers Fire Offensive Coordinator Jimmy Raye
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story
Finally, some GOOD unemployment news!
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Mike Martz is tearing it up in Chicago, because we fire him and instead go with some uncreative no-name whom we later fire, and with this, Smith nut swingers have another ALEXCUSE® to keep him around beyond this year.

Stop trying to start sht. Everyone including "supporters" have said it's playoffs or he's gone.

Only exception to that rule is if he plays lights out amazing and puts up Drew Brees type numbers and somehow we don't make the playoffs. The chance that the latter happens is about the same as you and susweel and others stop parroting your bullsht.

Ha ha....amen bro. Some of the haters around here have turned into nothing but trolls that try to hijack every thread whether it's relevant to the content or not.

Thread title: RAYE FIRED

Hater response: Alex sucks.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by EndAround81:
I hope we don't use this as another excuse for Alex..I can picture the posts after next game.. "Alex is having another OC again, he's not used to the play calling, it's not Alex's fault. How many Qb's go through a new OC during mid season?"..LOL

OH s**t I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT. SING JUST CREATED A HUGE ALEXCUSE® FOR THE SMITH SYCOPHANTS! PLEASE DON'T USE THIS AS A REASON TO JUSTIFY SMITH'S PISS POOR PLAY FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR!!!

I don't think this would be an excuse. If anything this will hopefully eliminate an excuse that "Jimmy Raye calls horrible plays". If Alex can't figure it out this year he has to go. I didn't think he played poorly yesterday for the most part, but he did play tentatively, and didn't push the ball down the field enough. He was running for his life, and wasn't getting much help. The whole team was garbage yesterday, and Alex couldn't do enough to keep them in it. Is that coaching, scheme, or just Alex being weak? (maybe all 3) Like I said, It doesn't matter about the changes because the system will remain the same (e.g. the terminology, and basic plays.) Alex has to perform very well assuming that the offensive play calling becomes more aggressive. I like this move because it will give Alex believers and non-believers the chance to really see what we have. SHaj and company should be happy that Alex is going to get the chance to fail without the Raye excuse... oh wait they are too busy not seeing this rationally.
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
Anyone who says this will give Alex another excuse just shows their lack of football knowledge. Alex had a problem with the changing of the system that usually goes with a change in OC. It will be the same system just the game planning/game calling will change. Outside of Mike Johnson, Alex is the happiest person in the building now.
The first step. 1 down, 2 to go (HC, QB)
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
It MAY not make things better, but it sure as hell cannot make them worse.

If it's true, the 180 degree turn around from Singletary's position must mean that someone intervened and demanded this change.

Jed York FTW!!! Maybe he is who we thought he would be...Eddie D clone.

Mike Johnson seems to be the one in line. No shake up by Singletary at the OC position...yea, right. Look what happened.

It was just like Eddie D and Marc Trestman: "He's Gone!"
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Steps 2 and 3 don't happen until the end of the season unless the team is 0-8.
Does he know that he has been fired? He could be taking a power nap and bring his play book to the facility.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dald1:

ditto...and hopefully we can actually see westbrook and gore in the same backfield...raye is not smart enough to even create a way for both of them to be in one play together at the same time.

Johnson, 43, spent the 2008 season out of football before joining the 49ers' staff last year as quarterbacks coach. During his time away from the game, he studied aspects of the college spread offense and how it can apply to the NFL game.

Johnson visited Ohio State, where he spent time with coach Jim Tressel and quarterbacks coach Joe Daniels, his former mentor at Akron. Johnson played football at Akron. He also met with Ron Zook’s staff at Illinois. Johnson said last year that he saw Illinois’ spread offense as the most applicable to the NFL game because of the Illini’s ability to run the ball successfully.

"Mike has everything it takes to be a successful coordinator or head coach in the NFL," Oregon State coach Mike Riley told me last year. "He's got the attention to detail, the character, charisma and physical presence. He's the complete package as a coach and person."

Riley's relationship with Johnson began in 1991 as head coach of the San Antonio Riders of the now-defunct World League of American Football. Johnson was among the Arizona Cardinals' final cuts in 1990 before signing with the Riders. Riley later hired Johnson to serve on his coaching staffs with Oregon State and the Chargers.

Read more: 49ers Fire Offensive Coordinator Jimmy Raye
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

I wouldn't be looking to Illinois to show how to run a successful offense. Ron Zook is probably going to be fired and there offense is terrible. His only season over .500 was when he had Rashard Mendenhall as his running back.

Originally posted by defenderDX:
http://i51.tinypic.com/34hx6jk.jpg]

Maybe they are trying to tell us something??
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:

its only a matter of time...especially considering a 0-3 start historically means no playoffs
Jed,

Two names : Jon Gruden, Mike Holmgren
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

send him out on the raft to China along with old man Raye.

With Raye in charge of that raft where it ends up is anyones guess.

I'm guessing it would be somewhere up the middle.

LB
Share 49ersWebzone