LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Complete change of expectactions after only 3 weeks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Before the season started I think it's safe to say that the majority of us had high hopes. After all of the past years of thinking this was our year, only to have it not be our year; I think we all really truly thought that this very well may have been our year to return to the playoffs. Hell with us being in the west, there still might be. This thread is not to talk about Alex Smith, Singletary, The Yorks (though I want it to be on record I think neither nor all of them are the answer what so ever) but it’s more to discuss our honest thoughts and expectations, and how they have changed after the first 3 games.

I'll go first. Before the season started, I will admit that this past off-season was one of my most optimistic off seasons I had. I followed the team, followed the draft, camp, acquisitions etc. I was pumped. It seemed that Smith finally had all of the pieces he needed. The team had continuity and consistency. Singletary had all of the makings of a winning head coach. The players, the fans, the national media were buying into the hype. Things looked good.

Then the wheels fell off of the wagon and now we sit here 0-3. I'm not playing the blame game with this thread. The fact of the matter is we are 0-3 and with that being said I can not honestly look at any game on our schedule and think, "We got this. This one's a Win for sure!" or "We're gonna kill the Rams/Raiders/(insert what we thought would have been a gimme here) etc." or "We have an easy second half"

None of those statements are valid, and none are true and I would be lying if I could say any of those statements right now and actually believe it. After week 1 I could, hell even after last weeks L to the Champs, I still could. But now, I can't, I just can't. My expectations have changed drastically. The only thing the coach, the qb and the team can do to shut everyone up is win, and they clearly can't do that.

I don't know what the answer is, but I know what it's not. Moreover I know who it's not.

I'm a die hard fan and will never stop pulling for my team, but to me it says something when I'm not even pissed anymore. I am just utterly disgusted. That's pretty much it.

We had hopes of going deep into the playoffs and maybe winning a few games... now I don't see us sniffing the post season at all if things don't change.

So honestly guys, what were your expectations coming into week one, and what are they now?
Great post I fel the exact same way. It got to the point today where all I could do was just laugh
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I thought after that pathetic game one the season was shot, but I was ripped on for overreacting and not being a real fan. Hell with you overly optimistic fools. The glass is half empty.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I'm giving this 2 more weeks.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Great post I fel the exact same way. It got to the point today where all I could do was just laugh

Right on man. Sucks but it's true. I am not investing one more bit of emotion or stress in this team until they show me they can deserve it.
I thought there was going to be an improvement from last year. But I am seeing the same thing:

Bad game plan, and no adjustments during the game.

Before this game, you would think the team would look at the previous 2 games. A blowout in Seattle, or a great game against the Saints. How do we respond, by doing the same formula that was done against the Seahawks.

We're in for a LOOOONG season
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I'm giving this 2 more weeks.

no s**t, we got the raiders at home after the next two losses

perfect time to have new coaches in place and start off with a win
Originally posted by zozell:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

Right on man. Sucks but it's true. I am not investing one more bit of emotion or stress in this team until they show me they can deserve it.

Man same here same here. The worst part about everything even more than the s**tty coaching ais the fact that we have an owner who just doesn't care about winning at all not one bit. I wish we have an owner like phili, pats, colts, dallas, or pitsburg there owners care and are around the team. It doent matter how optimistac sorry I can't spell hahawe are as fans because s**t won't change untill the dbags upstairs wake up
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I was cautiously optimistic....looks like the caution was well warranted.

You knew going in that the team (and the coaching staff) had proven nothing.
I will admit I was starting to sip Sings Kool-Aid, and I have no respect for his coaching! I did not like the draft, but I was still hoping for a good season, now I am back to watching just out of habit, hoping that we don't embarrass our selves. I will wach and hope and cheer, but in the back of my head, I will be thinking draft pick and new coaching staff!

• SS2K8
  • Veteran
we're gonna relive the 2006-08 seasons forever
I'm expecting a drastic overhaul of our coaching personnel at the end of the season. Goodbye 1985, hello 2011. And I am expecting Baalke to get us another solid draft that includes trading up -- trading EVERYTHING -- for Andrew Luck (please god).
Playing the way they are 0-4 is reality. When can they win a game playing like a bunch of high school kids?
You know what? I'm glad another fan feels the exact same way as I do. My family and I just dropped over $700 to go see the 49ers in Charlotte (I live in NC). We bought the tickets, hotel, the whole 9 yards TODAY. This is great. I am disgusted also.

I've been a die hard fan since I was 8. I think I surprised my dad today when I said that I thought that MS, Smith and Jimmy Ray needs to go. Gut'em. Start over. I don't care. Smith is fine as a starter, or would be, until a replacement is found. A decent OC would have had this kid playing better by now, but we really screwed the pooch on this one, didn't we? His fault? Ownership's? Doesn't matter. Jimmy Raye sucks ass, and there is no excuse for how this offense performs week in and week out. And you know what? I WAS on board with Sing, but he gets out coached every week. It's one thing if he made the right hire for OC, but he bungled that cuz he wanted someone who would take orders and their #1 Quality. Sing is stuck in 1985. Jimmy is stuck in....1978? Please.

At this point, I really am going to write this team off until there is a new HC. We have a new Personnel manager and new ownership with Jed taking over.

This is it, you're on the clock Jeb......FIX IT.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I'm expecting a drastic overhaul of our coaching personnel at the end of the season. Goodbye 1985, hello 2011. And I am expecting Baalke to get us another solid draft that includes trading up -- trading EVERYTHING -- for Andrew Luck (please god).

Anyone on this roster that doesn't wear #52 is available for trade to get the #1 pick.

A first this year and next year or picks with players it doesn't matter.

Or go after McNabb if he doesn't re-sign with Washington.
Share 49ersWebzone