LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

RG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With the injuries to Heitmann and Rachal and the good play of Baas and Snyder being talked about, it got me thinking of a three-way battle for the right guard position.

Firstly they need to figure out who they want at center out of Heitmann and Baas (sort out your shotgun snap son!).

Then I was wondering, does the loser of the contest at center have a right to contend for the right guard spot with Rachal and Snyder?

Remember, Heitmann established himself as a player in the NFL by playing guard from 2002-05, and played quite well there from memory, although it was a while ago.

Baas has played at guard extensively the past few years as we all know.

Rachal is good when he's on, but those moments aren't frequent enough.

Snyder impressed me against the Saints in both protection and opening up holes. It was certainly one of his best games in my opinion.

What are your guys thoughts? What would you like to see?

Personally I would like Baas to work out at centre and Rachal to show consistent good play at RG. I say this due to the fact that they're young, so it bodes well for the future.

...mods I know there are OL threads, but I'm talking about this position specifically. Feel free to merge though.
Like you said, I think it will be a battle between Heitmann, Snyder and Rachal. As of today, I'd have to give the edge to Heitmann. I think Baas has grabbed the job at center, aside from the faulty snap we saw against the Saints, he has played well.
A lot of folks are questioning Heitman's athleticism. With a bum leg I think he would have a hard time bypassing Rachel or Snyder.
[ Edited by SanFranAddic on Sep 24, 2010 at 6:09 PM ]
I don't see much point in naming a starter, let the players demonstrate who starts (and who finishes) on a week-by-week basis. In other words, keep them all on the hot seat and go with whomever is playing the best.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
I don't see much point in naming a starter, let the players demonstrate who starts (and who finishes) on a week-by-week basis. In other words, keep them all on the hot seat and go with whomever is playing the best.

That's how we do it in my softball league!
Originally posted by fly15:

This could be a problem for Kenny Powers on the reg.
Is it just me.. or does Rachal flat out suck beyond all reason and understanding?.. and logic. He seems... weak.

You know you suck when people start thinking Adam Snyder is an upgrade over you. Jus sayiin.
Originally posted by eric90clark:

You know you suck when people start thinking Adam Snyder is an upgrade over you. Jus sayiin.

Lmao, damn, that's harsh, eric!

harsh but true my friend

harsh but true my friend

Disagree. Rachal may be turning the corner, too early to tell. But the comparison to Snyder is wrong. Snyder at tackle flat out sucks, I never want to see him there again. But at guard he is a very different proposition.

Baas had better win the battle for center because I think he is finished at guard. But this thread proves on point. Not only are the starters transformed but we have depth on the line! At last!
  • ACUK
  • Veteran
I would like Baas to stay at centre and Rachal to carry on at RG, hopefully the more playing time he gets will help him be more consistant. Synder is just a back up, I remember a couple of seasons ago when he was filling in at G and he was awful.
Originally posted by English:

harsh but true my friend

Disagree. Rachal may be turning the corner, too early to tell. But the comparison to Snyder is wrong. Snyder at tackle flat out sucks, I never want to see him there again. But at guard he is a very different proposition.

Baas had better win the battle for center because I think he is finished at guard. But this thread proves on point. Not only are the starters transformed but we have depth on the line! At last!

It makes me mad that the coaching staff didn't try to make these adjustments earlier. I've been wanting to see Baas at center for awhile now and I've been wanting to see Heitmann replaced or moved to guard. I think we could have gotten more out of our O-line in past seasons with these adjustments. Oh well, I suppose there isn't a point in dwelling on it now.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

harsh but true my friend

It makes me mad that the coaching staff didn't try to make these adjustments earlier. I've been wanting to see Baas at center for awhile now and I've been wanting to see Heitmann replaced or moved to guard. I think we could have gotten more out of our O-line in past seasons with these adjustments. Oh well, I suppose there isn't a point in dwelling on it now.

Well, no. The key change was the investing of two first round picks on the line. Earlier adjustments would just have been painting the boat deck of the Titanic. We just didn't have the ability on the line.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

harsh but true my friend

Well, no. The key change was the investing of two first round picks on the line. Earlier adjustments would just have been painting the boat deck of the Titanic. We just didn't have the ability on the line.

I disagree. It has been obvious to me for quite awhile that Heitmann didn't belong at center. We could have moved Baas there years ago and had Heitmann playing guard. Then, I believe, we would have had better play at LG and center. But you are right to say that with the addition of the two draft picks, things are looking better than they have in a very long time.
Share 49ersWebzone