LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 281 users in the forums

Michael Crabtree. Season long Sophmore Slump or will he snap out of it?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So there's been a lot of talk about Crabtree after the 1st 2 games of the season. Threads comparing him to DHB, people complaining of his work ethic, the fact that he's had only 1 catch in each game, no separation, dropped passes etc. Then there are those that have said he has been wide open almost all game but Smith is not throwing to him as the chemistry isn't 100% there yet. To his credit he threw a nice block to spring Morgan for a 1st down on Monday night which does show that he is a team player and wants to win and do what he can to help.

The question is this. Is Crabtree facing the infamous "Sophomore Slump"? Will his less than spectacular stats, performance and impact thus far continue on and turn into a season long slump, or will he have a breakout monster game that will spark the rest of the season resembling the Crabtree of last season.

Last season he came in and made an impact and that was largely due to the small handful of plays he was given. Now with an entire offseason, he is expected to know the entire playbook. Does he? People questioned his work ethic, including Pro Bowl tight end Vernon Davis. Is his performance something that can be easily corrected and will his efforts and dedication that Singletary vouches for eventually translate to production on the field, or will the fact that he sat out the majority of camp and all of pre-season with an injury contribute to a year that will not be up to par for the young receiver. We all know his potential is there. Will it be realized this season or is he and all of us in for a disappointing Sophomore year for Crabs?
[ Edited by zozell on Sep 22, 2010 at 3:58 PM ]
sucks
He cant be successful unless Alex looks his was to throw him the damn ball!
he will be fine I still see him putting up 800 to 900 yards with 5 TDs
I think he will snap out of it. Since he missed Pre-Season he is behind.

Give him 2 weeks to get to last years form.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Dude already got paid so he probably lost his desire to work hard.
After his impressive rookie season, I think expectations are still high for him. He hasn't even played 16 games yet. And it's unfair to get on his back so early, a sophomore slump happens to a lot of players. And don't most recievers break out in their 3rd year or so?
He doesn't participate in training camp or preseason ever. So it's no wonder he is behind.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Maybe he is our version of Michael Clayton.
He will snap out of it. Right now Smith looks more comfortable throwing to VD and Morgan, but as the season goes by he will get more looks.

He'll be alright. Smith just needs to get confidence in him again. I think it showed in the last game but I believe with the teams doubling vernon crabs will get more catches. Motherf**ker needs speed though.
He'll be alright. Smith just needs to get confidence in him again. I think it showed in the last game but I believe with the teams doubling vernon crabs will get more catches. Motherf**ker needs speed though.
crabs will be fine. or i'll blow all of you.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Throw him the ball and he will catch more balls it's very simple.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
crabs will be fine. or i'll blow all of you.

Are you hoping he fails? I agree with you though, I think he will be fine. It's not like he is out of shape, and he will need to be a star before he can create his own line of clothing.
Share 49ersWebzone