Alex Smith Observation.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
hmm i like the pump fake idea. lolz
Originally posted by defenderDX:
hmm i like the pump fake idea. lolz

And taller cleats
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
With all the mistakes that was made by the team and by Smith in the Saint's game, Smith put all those mistakes aside. He played lights out, made very good decision with the football. Tide the game with a TD and a 2pts conversion. That's what Montana and all the good qb do. They put away all the mistakes that happened during the game and come up with great last drive. I don't know how good Smith will become, but that was the right direction from the Saints game.

He made the throws, ran with the ball, made good decision and not turn the ball over, and got what we needed to tied the game. That last drive, he was equal to Montana or any other great qb.

Dude threw 2 picks and created the position he was in that required the last second scramble.

When Smith starts winning games you can compare him to Steve or Joe, but until then it is blasphemy at the least.

No, he was equal to any great QBs in that last drive, situation created by him or not. That's why they call it 'come from behind' drive. If all the great QBs played like a HOF all game long, they wouldn't have to make 'come from behind' drive. They set up their own stages by making mistakes and the mistakes of the team, Smith is no different.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 23, 2010 at 5:02 AM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by ninerbrand:
I am not sure who else has noticed this, but it seems to me that Alex Smith's interception 90% of the time come off of tipped balls. Especially, this year. Both passes in Mondays game that were picked were off tips. One of his two from Seattle. I have noticed this since he came into the league in '05. The ball just kind of has a knack for finding a defender.

Why do you think he gets so many tipped balls?
What do you guys think can fix this?

My Suggestion: Pump fake. Throw not only the D-Line but the secondaries to delay their reactions.

ninerbrand(on)

1: because he is innacurate
2: nothing can fix it that 6 years hasnt already

Yeah 71.9% completion percentage is totally unacceptable, we should cut him now and you can start at QB for us, since you are the expert.

He threw 2 passes over 7 yards, that doesn't mean he is accurate especially when Wrs have to go down to one knee to catch passes when they are in position to juke out the defender IF the ball is delivered on the numbers.

smith haters seeing what they want to see rather than seeing the game objectively. I know it requires some thought and you guys don't like thinking much, but give it a try sometimes.

Quote:
-Alex Smith was OK for most of the first half. But he was still just a little off, throwing high to a double covered Vernon Davis even though the other two receivers were in single coverage. He also was throwing a little bit high in his completions. But once he hit Gore in stride for a 12-yard score, he became laser accurate.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=72866#ixzz10Jpbp5Ru

how come when NFL analysts say something good about Smith, their word is gospel, and when they say something bad about him, then they are tools and idiots who have hidden agendas and know nothing about football? I have noticed this trend very distinctly in NT.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
I am not sure who else has noticed this, but it seems to me that Alex Smith's interception 90% of the time come off of tipped balls. Especially, this year. Both passes in Mondays game that were picked were off tips. One of his two from Seattle. I have noticed this since he came into the league in '05. The ball just kind of has a knack for finding a defender.

My Suggestion: Pump fake. Throw not only the D-Line but the secondaries to delay their reactions.

ninerbrand(on)

Yeah 71.9% completion percentage is totally unacceptable, we should cut him now and you can start at QB for us, since you are the expert.

He threw 2 passes over 7 yards, that doesn't mean he is accurate especially when Wrs have to go down to one knee to catch passes when they are in position to juke out the defender IF the ball is delivered on the numbers.

smith haters seeing what they want to see rather than seeing the game objectively. I know it requires some thought and you guys don't like thinking much, but give it a try sometimes.

Quote:
-Alex Smith was OK for most of the first half. But he was still just a little off, throwing high to a double covered Vernon Davis even though the other two receivers were in single coverage. He also was throwing a little bit high in his completions. But once he hit Gore in stride for a 12-yard score, he became laser accurate.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=72866#ixzz10Jpbp5Ru

how come when NFL analysts say something good about Smith, their word is gospel, and when they say something bad about him, then they are tools and idiots who have hidden agendas and know nothing about football? I have noticed this trend very distinctly in NT.

Aren't you the guy who hung on every last word of John Clayton's critique of Smith, while totally disregarding and downplaying Peter King's words that Smith would play himself into a new contract with the 49ers??
[ Edited by HomerJ on Sep 23, 2010 at 5:59 AM ]
Alex Smith's Final Drive from the Stands

Here is a little video I put together of Alex Smith's final Drive on MNF vs the Saints. I did my best to keep the camera straight as possible, but it's a bit of a challenge after drinking lol

Let me know what you guys think. Enjoy!
Nice video!
Nice Video! Thanks for posting it
Thank you very much for posting that. That's such a wonderful camera angle, you can clearly see what the defense (secondary and all) is actually doing. Morgan's catch is even more impressive from that angle--man, that ball was way up there!

Again, thanks! Really enjoyed that.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by ZRF80:

ninerbrand(on)

71.9% completion percentage which consists of 2-3 yard passes to receivers is nothing to boast about, my ffriend. Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt the drive that led to our first TD consist of 3 pass plays to the FLATS (Gore) that led to a TD. You think that Raye called those plays and told Alex to make sure he passed to Gore on 3 consecutive plays, or do you think it's more feasible that Alex checked down too quick, panicked, and passed to the underneath guy. Thank God for Frank Gore, or those chains wouldnt have budged on that drive.

Nice twist on the 71.9% though. You almost had me convinced.......

your posts are a joke. Smith completed several long passes in the second half. Smith didn't look panicked at all in that game. He stayed in the pocket quite a bit, and didn't force that many balls (remember he did have the fairly deep throw to Vernon that wasn't completed as well, but was PI). Yes, let's also diminish his game because he got the ball to our best threat quite a bit.

Have you ever heard of the prevent defense? Teams tend to run that on the last drive of a game. Forcing deep throws in to that kind of coverage kind of plays right in to their hands.

While smith has not been historically very accurate, it seems that he is becoming more accurate as he gains confidence in his knowledge of the offense, and has more time to throw.

He's played something like 42 games, right? You can't take one good game (following a previous game where he laid eggs all over the field) and call it a trend. That's borderline masturbation.

Shaj,

Please read my posts. You know that I'm not saying that he is going to be some world beater every week. ZRF is just trolling and can't admit that Smith was accurate the other night. I agree that historically he has not been very accurate. I also have seen that his accuracy has improved over the last 10 or so games that he has played to the point where it isn't really the issue that everyone likes to bring up.

Did you miss week 1's game ? Did you miss the Tennessee, Arizona, and Philly games last year ?

ninerbrand(on)

71.9% completion percentage which consists of 2-3 yard passes to receivers is nothing to boast about, my ffriend. Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt the drive that led to our first TD consist of 3 pass plays to the FLATS (Gore) that led to a TD. You think that Raye called those plays and told Alex to make sure he passed to Gore on 3 consecutive plays, or do you think it's more feasible that Alex checked down too quick, panicked, and passed to the underneath guy. Thank God for Frank Gore, or those chains wouldnt have budged on that drive.

your posts are a joke. Smith completed several long passes in the second half. Smith didn't look panicked at all in that game. He stayed in the pocket quite a bit, and didn't force that many balls (remember he did have the fairly deep throw to Vernon that wasn't completed as well, but was PI). Yes, let's also diminish his game because he got the ball to our best threat quite a bit.

Have you ever heard of the prevent defense? Teams tend to run that on the last drive of a game. Forcing deep throws in to that kind of coverage kind of plays right in to their hands.

While smith has not been historically very accurate, it seems that he is becoming more accurate as he gains confidence in his knowledge of the offense, and has more time to throw.

He's played something like 42 games, right? You can't take one good game (following a previous game where he laid eggs all over the field) and call it a trend. That's borderline masturbation.

Shaj,

Please read my posts. You know that I'm not saying that he is going to be some world beater every week. ZRF is just trolling and can't admit that Smith was accurate the other night. I agree that historically he has not been very accurate. I also have seen that his accuracy has improved over the last 10 or so games that he has played to the point where it isn't really the issue that everyone likes to bring up.

Did you miss week 1's game ? Did you miss the Tennessee, Arizona, and Philly games last year ?

Did you miss that when Alex has time to throw.. he wins games?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

ninerbrand(on)

Shaj,

Hate to be a stickler for detail; but we lost this past game...
The energy @ the stick was amazing. Great to see it from your POV.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

ninerbrand(on)

Shaj,

Hate to be a stickler for detail; but we lost this past game...

At least he didn't lose the game..
Very cool man. Thanks for posting.
Share 49ersWebzone