LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 339 users in the forums

Alex Smith Observation.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With all the mistakes that was made by the team and by Smith in the Saint's game, Smith put all those mistakes aside. He played lights out, made very good decision with the football. Tide the game with a TD and a 2pts conversion. That's what Montana and all the good qb do. They put away all the mistakes that happened during the game and come up with great last drive. I don't know how good Smith will become, but that was the right direction from the Saints game.

He made the throws, ran with the ball, made good decision and not turn the ball over, and got what we needed to tied the game. That last drive, he was equal to Montana or any other great qb.
Originally posted by ninerbrand:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Pump fake wastes time, which already comes at a premium with our shaky O-line. He just needs to improve on his accuracy.

Yeah, I agree he needs to improve accuracy. A LOT. But in the same token, the o-line played pretty well Monday. Often, his passes hit the D-Line. It's not the fact that hes short like Brees. He's 6'4. Shouldn't be a problem.

MAYBE:

It could be that he has little touch on a lot of his passes.

I've noticed that too, he likes to throw the balls on a rope majority of the time. Not really a finesse passer.

Yeah, I mean.. Gosh. 72% of his passes complete? What the frick is that crap? We need 80% or better. 72 percent is absolutely unacceptable. How dare he put up such a horrific completion percentage.

Good God, people. So he had tough luck on a pass or two. Give me a frickin' break. No, actually.. Give Alex a frickin' break. One might even argue that Alex has thrown even LESS bad throws than some of the elite quarterbacks. The problem is, when it's bad, it's doubly bad. Picks that our team drops, defenders of our opponents never drop.

Anyone see the Cowboys get beat last week by Chicago? IN DALLAS? They were plays JUST like in Seattle, but in this case Miles Austin -- an ELITE receiver -- had it bounce right off his hands for interceptions that led to points for Chicago. You don't see the Dallas media screaming and clamoring for him to be benched or cut or saying he's not starter worthy.

This crap happens all the time to ALL QB's, but too many nonsensical, ignoramus fans sit here making out-of-their-cornhole comments that anyone with any common understanding of the game of football can clearly see are downright idiotic. Criticize the guy heavily if he's throwing it straight to defenders, but please, people.. Give it a freaking rest when it comes to the tough-luck picks. Don't throw the guy through the mud blaming him for our losses. Blame the individuals who gave the Saints points or took points away from us all by themselves -- points the Saints didn't have to do ANYTHING or make ANY plays to get.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
With all the mistakes that was made by the team and by Smith in the Saint's game, Smith put all those mistakes aside. He played lights out, made very good decision with the football. Tide the game with a TD and a 2pts conversion. That's what Montana and all the good qb do. They put away all the mistakes that happened during the game and come up with great last drive. I don't know how good Smith will become, but that was the right direction from the Saints game.

He made the throws, ran with the ball, made good decision and not turn the ball over, and got what we needed to tied the game. That last drive, he was equal to Montana or any other great qb.

Dude threw 2 picks and created the position he was in that required the last second scramble.

When Smith starts winning games you can compare him to Steve or Joe, but until then it is blasphemy at the least.
I dont usually post much on these boards , however this subject has been something I have thought about for a long time. Alex seems to be just about to take this offense to the next level, but the one thing I wish he would incorporate is the PUMP FAKE ! If or when he gets that into his game he will be a top 10 NFL qb. Not just the pump fake but better at the juke moves that freeze the safety, draw linebackers the wrong way and keep d linemen from tipping it at the line. He has far too many tipped ... also these deceptive little moves get you receivers more open with more chance for Y A C. Looking off the defenders here.... a pump fake there ...tucking it in and running when they got there backs turned and rolling out to his left ...the little things that will get us deep in playoff land and get Alex to the level we all hoped for from the start . He is just about there ...and if the coaches keep there end together and that means details as well as emotion ...we will all be back where we Bill Walsh took us to many years ago. LOOK EM OFF WITH YOUR EYES ...AND... PUMP FAKE ALEX !!!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
two words. Ball placement.

This is exactly correct. There is no other reason.

High and a little behind, it's his style. Till he can fix that, if possible; he will continue to have many tip balls and lay out his receivers for big hits, that is, till they stop going up for the balls..

Ahh yes; The Art Of Leading Receivers...!!!
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by miklo209:
you guys are really stupid... hahaha too me he played a great game... and its not his fault we lost.... look at the cowboys, vikings... you think they are b***hing at their qb's to get cut... u fake ass fans... support your team.. nothing else to it... u guys hate cuz ur fuken life sucks...

Yeah but we will continue to post, while you will soon be banned

stfu
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I am not sure who else has noticed this, but it seems to me that Alex Smith's interception 90% of the time come off of tipped balls. Especially, this year. Both passes in Mondays game that were picked were off tips. One of his two from Seattle. I have noticed this since he came into the league in '05. The ball just kind of has a knack for finding a defender.

Why do you think he gets so many tipped balls?
What do you guys think can fix this?

My Suggestion: Pump fake. Throw not only the D-Line but the secondaries to delay their reactions.

ninerbrand(on)

1: because he is innacurate
2: nothing can fix it that 6 years hasnt already

Yeah 71.9% completion percentage is totally unacceptable, we should cut him now and you can start at QB for us, since you are the expert.

He threw 2 passes over 7 yards, that doesn't mean he is accurate especially when Wrs have to go down to one knee to catch passes when they are in position to juke out the defender IF the ball is delivered on the numbers.

Might want to recheck that.

Also the commentators mentioned during the telecast that the WRs were on their knees because they slipped on their route. As I recall it only happened twice.

-9fA

Crabtree slipped on that one play and its a good thing that Alex is inaccurate on that play because if he threw it o the numbers it might have been picked instead it almost hit Crabtree in the face while he was on all fours. The other 2 to Morgan where just bad throws there was no slipping in fact he gt up right after and tried to make a play imagine what kind of moves he could have made if the ball was delivered right to him. Watch some Jerry Rice highlights and watch how he takes short slants and turns them into TDs. If he had to jump and catch those passes or go on one knee they would be catches but he wouldn't be able to make plays with them. That's the problem with Alex is he has playmaker that can't make plays for him if he doesn't put them into position to. In fact the TD pass to gore was an amazing play by gore to tip it to himself and still beat Vilma to the flag. Alex is the bottle neck to this offense and if it improves it is because he is more accurate. If it doesn't it is because he is over throwing or under throwing balls like he has for years. If you don't believe me go back and look at his "breakout" game against Seattle when Norv was here. His TDs where all over thrown that the player had to jump for, the long bomb to Battle would have went for a TD but he had to dive for it in order to catch it and Gore's TD when there was none even close to him, he barely stumbled into the endzone because the ball was thrown so high.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I am not sure who else has noticed this, but it seems to me that Alex Smith's interception 90% of the time come off of tipped balls. Especially, this year. Both passes in Mondays game that were picked were off tips. One of his two from Seattle. I have noticed this since he came into the league in '05. The ball just kind of has a knack for finding a defender.

Why do you think he gets so many tipped balls?
What do you guys think can fix this?

My Suggestion: Pump fake. Throw not only the D-Line but the secondaries to delay their reactions.

ninerbrand(on)

1: because he is innacurate
2: nothing can fix it that 6 years hasnt already

Yeah 71.9% completion percentage is totally unacceptable, we should cut him now and you can start at QB for us, since you are the expert.

He threw 2 passes over 7 yards, that doesn't mean he is accurate especially when Wrs have to go down to one knee to catch passes when they are in position to juke out the defender IF the ball is delivered on the numbers.

smith haters seeing what they want to see rather than seeing the game objectively. I know it requires some thought and you guys don't like thinking much, but give it a try sometimes.

Quote:
-Alex Smith was OK for most of the first half. But he was still just a little off, throwing high to a double covered Vernon Davis even though the other two receivers were in single coverage. He also was throwing a little bit high in his completions. But once he hit Gore in stride for a 12-yard score, he became laser accurate.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=72866#ixzz10Jpbp5Ru

I think you are blinded by the fact that our skill position players make up for his inaccuracy with some nice catches and we move the ball but there are plenty of examples in the game where he is obviously not "Laser accurate". I guess you could also be used to the Alex we saw in game one which compared to him, Alex in game 2 is laser accurate. Maybe my problem is I got spoiled by Joe and Steve when they would have practices where the ball never touched the ground and Bill Walsh would still find things for them to work on and improve on before the game and now we have the juxtaposition of Alex who over throws and under throws WRs regularly, and he doesn't hit them in the numbers nor in stride and yet there are so many that are trying to make like he had a great game. He does look better than before but I am still not sold enough to be excited about hitching the prime of Willis' and Davis' careers with this guys pulling the trigger for our team.
Crabtree slipped on that one play and its a good thing that Alex is inaccurate on that play because if he threw it o the numbers it might have been picked instead it almost hit Crabtree in the face while he was on all fours. The other 2 to Morgan where just bad throws there was no slipping in fact he gt up right after and tried to make a play imagine what kind of moves he could have made if the ball was delivered right to him. Watch some Jerry Rice highlights and watch how he takes short slants and turns them into TDs. If he had to jump and catch those passes or go on one knee they would be catches but he wouldn't be able to make plays with them. That's the problem with Alex is he has playmaker that can't make plays for him if he doesn't put them into position to. In fact the TD pass to gore was an amazing play by gore to tip it to himself and still beat Vilma to the flag. Alex is the bottle neck to this offense and if it improves it is because he is more accurate. If it doesn't it is because he is over throwing or under throwing balls like he has for years. If you don't believe me go back and look at his "breakout" game against Seattle when Norv was here. His TDs where all over thrown that the player had to jump for, the long bomb to Battle would have went for a TD but he had to dive for it in order to catch it and Gore's TD when there was none even close to him, he barely stumbled into the endzone because the ball was thrown so high.

First of all, use paragraphs.

Second of all, I'm not arguing with you that Smith has been historically inaccurate. I'm more than willing to acknowledge that fact. In fact, Smith had some bad throws in the Saints game as well. But overall, I would say that he was fairly accurate.

Finally, I'm not sure what you're watching. Gore never tipped the ball himself on the TD pass against the Saints. It hit him absolutely in stride. Here's the clip.

I get the feeling that people are looking to criticise him just to do so and that they can't bear to acknowledge Smith for any good that he does on the field.

-9fA

Second of all, I'm not arguing with you that Smith has been historically inaccurate. I'm more than willing to acknowledge that fact. In fact, Smith had some bad throws in the Saints game as well. But overall, I would say that he was fairly accurate.

Finally, I'm not sure what you're watching. Gore never tipped the ball himself on the TD pass against the Saints. It hit him absolutely in stride. Here's the clip.

I get the feeling that people are looking to criticise him just to do so and that they can't bear to acknowledge Smith for any good that he does on the field.

-9fA

haha. That's always a good thing to point on when debating on forums.

Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

-9fA

haha. That's always a good thing to point on when debating on forums.

I'm really not a big grammar/spelling nazi, it just increases readability.

-9fA

-9fA

Sorry about the paragraph thing and the typos I was in a rush to type my response while doing other things. I also reread my post and see how my description of the Gore play was inaccurate. If you taped the monday night game coverage as their going to commercial they show the endzone view of the play and gore can't catch the ball with two hands because it it high and behind him so he tips it with his right hand down to his stomach where he catches it cleaning while running full speed. It was an amazing play by Gore and I agree with you it was a pretty good pass by Alex.

I also agree that he has improved a lot from the past in the area of accuracy and this game was one of his more accurate of his career, however. I still wouldn't want him throwing the ball 40 times a game because even if 35 of them are caught there are the few that tend to sail on him and unfortunately they seem to be the ones that are over the middle where the ball can be tipped or in the endzone where we end up with FGs instead of TDs.

If this past Mon's game was Alex's best he had to offer then I am not sold on him as our QBOTF.
Sorry about the paragraph thing and the typos I was in a rush to type my response while doing other things. I also reread my post and see how my description of the Gore play was inaccurate. If you taped the monday night game coverage as their going to commercial they show the endzone view of the play and gore can't catch the ball with two hands because it it high and behind him so he tips it with his right hand down to his stomach where he catches it cleaning while running full speed. It was an amazing play by Gore and I agree with you it was a pretty good pass by Alex.

I also agree that he has improved a lot from the past in the area of accuracy and this game was one of his more accurate of his career, however. I still wouldn't want him throwing the ball 40 times a game because even if 35 of them are caught there are the few that tend to sail on him and unfortunately they seem to be the ones that are over the middle where the ball can be tipped or in the endzone where we end up with FGs instead of TDs.

If this past Mon's game was Alex's best he had to offer then I am not sold on him as our QBOTF.

Fair enough. I didn't see any endzone view but on the TD pass from Smith to Gore, I don't see any tipping of the ball by Gore at all. Gore catches the ball quite cleanly. I believe you may be over analyzing and nitpicking his play.

I'm surprised that you're not satisfied with his MNF performance. If that's the case, you may be waiting a long time before you find anyone who you will feel is the QBOTF. I know it's one game, but if Smith can continue that performance, I will be quite happy with him as our QB.

-9fA

Fair enough. I didn't see any endzone view but on the TD pass from Smith to Gore, I don't see any tipping of the ball by Gore at all. Gore catches the ball quite cleanly. I believe you may be over analyzing and nitpicking his play.

I'm surprised that you're not satisfied with his MNF performance. If that's the case, you may be waiting a long time before you find anyone who you will feel is the QBOTF. I know it's one game, but if Smith can continue that performance, I will be quite happy with him as our QB.

-9fA

Yeah the TD pass to Gore was pretty much right on the money, not really any tipping at all. SOmetimes a reciever bobbles a ball but that didn't mean it didn't hit him in stride. I didn't really see anything like that either though. I think he's just trying to nitpick.

-9fA

the pass to gore was damn near perfect...stop nitpicking.
Share 49ersWebzone