There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith Observation.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by ninerbrand:
I am not sure who else has noticed this, but it seems to me that Alex Smith's interception 90% of the time come off of tipped balls. Especially, this year. Both passes in Mondays game that were picked were off tips. One of his two from Seattle. I have noticed this since he came into the league in '05. The ball just kind of has a knack for finding a defender.

Why do you think he gets so many tipped balls?
What do you guys think can fix this?

My Suggestion: Pump fake. Throw not only the D-Line but the secondaries to delay their reactions.

ninerbrand(on)

1: because he is innacurate
2: nothing can fix it that 6 years hasnt already

Yeah 71.9% completion percentage is totally unacceptable, we should cut him now and you can start at QB for us, since you are the expert.

He threw 2 passes over 7 yards, that doesn't mean he is accurate especially when Wrs have to go down to one knee to catch passes when they are in position to juke out the defender IF the ball is delivered on the numbers.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I am not sure who else has noticed this, but it seems to me that Alex Smith's interception 90% of the time come off of tipped balls. Especially, this year. Both passes in Mondays game that were picked were off tips. One of his two from Seattle. I have noticed this since he came into the league in '05. The ball just kind of has a knack for finding a defender.

My Suggestion: Pump fake. Throw not only the D-Line but the secondaries to delay their reactions.

ninerbrand(on)

Yeah 71.9% completion percentage is totally unacceptable, we should cut him now and you can start at QB for us, since you are the expert.

71.9% completion percentage which consists of 2-3 yard passes to receivers is nothing to boast about, my ffriend. Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt the drive that led to our first TD consist of 3 pass plays to the FLATS (Gore) that led to a TD. You think that Raye called those plays and told Alex to make sure he passed to Gore on 3 consecutive plays, or do you think it's more feasible that Alex checked down too quick, panicked, and passed to the underneath guy. Thank God for Frank Gore, or those chains wouldnt have budged on that drive.

Nice twist on the 71.9% though. You almost had me convinced.......

your posts are a joke. Smith completed several long passes in the second half. Smith didn't look panicked at all in that game. He stayed in the pocket quite a bit, and didn't force that many balls (remember he did have the fairly deep throw to Vernon that wasn't completed as well, but was PI). Yes, let's also diminish his game because he got the ball to our best threat quite a bit.

Have you ever heard of the prevent defense? Teams tend to run that on the last drive of a game. Forcing deep throws in to that kind of coverage kind of plays right in to their hands.

While smith has not been historically very accurate, it seems that he is becoming more accurate as he gains confidence in his knowledge of the offense, and has more time to throw.

He's played something like 42 games, right? You can't take one good game (following a previous game where he laid eggs all over the field) and call it a trend. That's borderline masturbation.

Shaj,

Please read my posts. You know that I'm not saying that he is going to be some world beater every week. ZRF is just trolling and can't admit that Smith was accurate the other night. I agree that historically he has not been very accurate. I also have seen that his accuracy has improved over the last 10 or so games that he has played to the point where it isn't really the issue that everyone likes to bring up.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:

ninerbrand(on)

He threw 2 passes over 7 yards, that doesn't mean he is accurate especially when Wrs have to go down to one knee to catch passes when they are in position to juke out the defender IF the ball is delivered on the numbers.

smith haters seeing what they want to see rather than seeing the game objectively. I know it requires some thought and you guys don't like thinking much, but give it a try sometimes.

Quote:
-Alex Smith was OK for most of the first half. But he was still just a little off, throwing high to a double covered Vernon Davis even though the other two receivers were in single coverage. He also was throwing a little bit high in his completions. But once he hit Gore in stride for a 12-yard score, he became laser accurate.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=72866#ixzz10Jpbp5Ru
[ Edited by darkknight49 on Sep 22, 2010 at 8:16 PM ]
Originally posted by flynhayn15:

ninerbrand(on)

Might want to recheck that.

Also the commentators mentioned during the telecast that the WRs were on their knees because they slipped on their route. As I recall it only happened twice.

-9fA
Originally posted by Smokie:
Originally posted by norcal49er864:
Originally posted by norcal49er864:
Originally posted by TDilvr:
He does throw with a lot of velocity on short to medium throws which causes the ball to bounce harder off of a helmet, hand, shoulder pad etc. giving it more air time for a defender to get to the ball.

I think he's getting better at not putting so much mustard on his shorter throws but it kinda goes in line with the fact that when he 1st came into the league at age 20 he was trying too hard to impress.

Too bad he wasn't afforded clipboard duty for a couple of years behind a solid QB. Oh well. It is what it is and thankfully it seems that he's finally getting it.

I think it has to do with the fact that he is a doofus who does not know how to throw a touch pass after six years in the NFL. Even college QBs like Andrew Luck know how to take something off the ball and still be accurate. Smith is not a playmaker, let's face it. He allows opponents to make plays.

Inaccurate passes to wide open receivers are way more common than with top QBs. Don't point to the occasional inaccurate passes from the top QBs as evidence-- that is a silly argument. What about the incredible throws that Alex simply does not make? Back shoulder passes, looking off defenders, etc. Never see that with Alex. He plays everyone straight up, which is fine in HS and college. Not so good in the NFL.

At any rate, Alex's telegraphing of passes allows defenders to tip balls at the line, and allows defensive backs time to focus in on one receiver. That and the inaccurate balls off his own players' fingertips will get you a lot of "unlucky" picks. This is not bad luck, this is skill on Smith's part. If getting balls tipped and intercepted was a good thing, he would be an All-Pro.

dude.

Who the f*ck are you?

Second of all, Smith has made some incredible throws during his career. How about that TD pass to Crabtree against Greenbay last year where he threw a nice arching pass that crabs was able to outjump GB's pro-bowl CB for?

That's the first example that comes to mind and it's exactly the type of throw you claim he has never made. Secondly, how do you know he's telegraphing passes? Are you watching game tape that shows the passing lanes and the whole field? Didn't think so. Dude it's clear your a blind alex hater because your argument does not flow from logic, but rather emotion.

Second of all, back shoulder throws require tremendously skilled receivers - something the 9ers have not had until recently (VD). It's funny how you didn't seem to notice how Alex threw some back shoulder throws to Vernon Davis last year. More proof that you don't know what you are talking about.

Every year when the season starts ninertalk gets an influx of new posters and ALL of them post this same kind of crap. It's all reactionary and people spouting off their opinions like they are fact. Get in line, you are not special. You are just another ninertalk noob that doesn't know anything about football.

edit: I see that you joined 6 days ago and already have 107 posts? Are you kidding me? you post almost 15 times a day? You need to talk about football less, and watch football more before you come back here.

OK tough guy. Being new on here means nothing, is this grade school? Feel free to disagree with me, that is what boards are for, genius. Or would you be happier if everyone thought Smith is ready to break out and be a great QB? You don't need to break down tape to see that he tracks his receiver most of the time-- I guess you do break down tape? Thanks Mr. Johnson.

Being new doesn't predispose you to being stupid, but if you've been here for a few years than you would understand how every year it's the same - tons of new posters join just to throw in their 2 cents, and most of the time it's all really reactionary "OMG THE SKY IS FALLING" and then you never hear from them again once the season wears on a little bit and they see that it isn't as bad - or good - as they thought it was.

I will disagree with you, gladly. And I don't care if you don't think Smith will succeed. That's your opinion. What I'm tired of is getting into this same debate with people who don't back up their opinions with facts and logic, but just their emotions and their preconceived notions. There are a lot of knowledgeable posters here that have been either watching football for a long time, or involved in the sport of football in some fashion, or always make sure to write well thought-out arguments for their posts and I take my cues from those guys.

Which brings me back to my main point. If you want to say "Alex Smith locks onto his receivers," then you need to bring specific examples to the table of Smith locking onto his receivers. You can't just say it and make it true. The more emotional you get in the defense of your opinion does not make you more right.

For the record, I know he locks onto his receivers, or at least he has in the past. I didn't notice it last game, or that much last season either and I think it's something he has improved on.

You are agreeing with me, and yet you are calling me out? Why? To show what a "veteran" you are? If you want your own forum, go set one up. I'm sure Ceadder would join you. In the meantime, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Got that link yet?

Just in case you don't know this, you don't have any credibility. So you should PROBABLY leave my name out of your posts until you can show proof.

BTW Link or it didn't happen.

~Ceadder

ninerbrand(on)

71.9% completion percentage which consists of 2-3 yard passes to receivers is nothing to boast about, my ffriend. Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt the drive that led to our first TD consist of 3 pass plays to the FLATS (Gore) that led to a TD. You think that Raye called those plays and told Alex to make sure he passed to Gore on 3 consecutive plays, or do you think it's more feasible that Alex checked down too quick, panicked, and passed to the underneath guy. Thank God for Frank Gore, or those chains wouldnt have budged on that drive.

Twist? That is a fact my friend. Did you watch the game? Your hate has blinded you Z, it has become plain for all to see.Brees threw short much more often than Smith did, a way higher percentage of his passes were dump off screens. Smith was on target 95 % of the game, and had every bit as much to do with the win as Gore did. If you do not see that, you are just being irrational...wait, I almost forgot who I was talking to.

ninerbrand(on)

Twist? That is a fact my friend. Did you watch the game? Your hate has blinded you Z, it has become plain for all to see.Brees threw short much more often than Smith did, a way higher percentage of his passes were dump off screens. Smith was on target 95 % of the game, and had every bit as much to do with the win as Gore did. If you do not see that, you are just being irrational...wait, I almost forgot who I was talking to.

LOL. You can't talk to him about Alex Smith...
Originally posted by rawdel:
Through two weeks Alex has 500 passing yards... he's on-pace to have a 4000 yard season!!!

http://www.nfl.com/players/alexsmith/profile?id=SMI031126

He is also on pace for 32 interceptions and 16 losses. I know your post was tongue in cheek, but when you look at it from another perspective, it is not pretty.

I had to look around to see where Alan Funt was.

Btw I don't believe his post was tongue in cheek. But hey you seem to have great command on what we all think.

Got that link yet?

~Ceadder

Deflected passes are 100% skill. They show a lack of either accuracy or ability to recognize when his lane is really not open.

Brees had one tipped on Monday. What was his excuse?
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Deflected passes are 100% skill. They show a lack of either accuracy or ability to recognize when his lane is really not open.

Man, the smith haters are really reaching. Passing lanes are dynamic, if its open at time t, it doesnt mean it will still be open at time t+dt especially if a d-linemen recognizes a passing attempt and flings his arms in the lane. Hell, the linemen himself doesnt even need to be in the lane, just a finger would be enough.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:
Originally posted by Surly-Z:
His tipped passes are the result of rushed throws, innacuracy on short routes, and lack of ideal arm strength. Its not about luck.

That being said, the Alex hate is a bit much. I don't think he's the answer here long term (monday night not withstanding), but I've seen way worse. way worse.

Lol or you just hate him and are trying to find some way to blame his bad luck with deflected passes

The one to Frank was an inaccurate throw., which MOST of Smiths tipped passes are., which is why they are tipped to begin with. Had Smith put it on Frank the way he should have, accurately, the pass would not have been tipped.....

It's pretty simple really, so why so hard to comprehend?

i think most of us agree that 1st int although tipped was smiths fault but the second one wasnt the espn anyalsis gruden and jaws even said that one was just a good D play

But WIN knows more than both of them combined, his reasonable and well thought out posts confirm that he is the unquestioned master of football knowledge as well as a master debater.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Man, the smith haters are really reaching. Passing lanes are dynamic, if its open at time t, it doesnt mean it will still be open at time t+dt especially if a d-linemen recognizes a passing attempt and flings his arms in the lane. Hell, the linemen himself doesnt even need to be in the lane, just a finger would be enough.

Exactly.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Lol

You mean their arms are not up in the air from the time of the snap!?!?

Ummm I have made that pretty clear, it was a bad throw. I all but Gar UN Teee Brees would agree, but ok ok.

Obviously not 100% of tips are bad plays, however the good QB's it rarely happens to, especially ones who aren't taller than 6'.

However with our all the sudden superman QB Mr. Smith has seemingly has tipped balls far more often than other starting QB's. Added to his history of inaccuracy IMO Alex has them so often because he has accuracy issues.
[ Edited by WINiner on Sep 22, 2010 at 9:12 PM ]