LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Is Chilo Rachal a bust?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Chilo Rachal a bust?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
What's Chilo, 22 or 23, he's still a baby. With Solari and Brown tutoring him, he'll improve each game.
Originally posted by mayo63:
What's Chilo, 22 or 23, he's still a baby. With Solari and Brown tutoring him, he'll improve each game.

24. Haven't given up yet, because I don't believe in giving up on high picks. But not confident
his name is f**kin chilo....

never draft a lineman named chilo....
He has terrible feet and isnt uselful even as a backup until thats corrected.
  • dj43
I am surprised at some of the comments about Rachal. Both Matts commented about how much improved he was over that last half of last year. IIRC, in a couple of games they had him graded as the best performance of all the OL. While I agree that is a relative comparison to some guys who did not perform all that well last year, it was not always the case. He did show significant improvement and put away all talk of putting him on the bench.

He reportedly had a very good camp, was spending a lot of quality time with Ray Brown and played well in PS games. Then he played all of five minutes in Seattle before getting hurt. After one more series in which he was not able to perform due to the injury, he took himself out and has not played.

So it looks like all who are skeptical of him are doing so are ignoring the evidence of a much improved player who began to realize his enormous talent at the end of last year.

Time to switch to decaf and see how he does in KC and beyond. Remember, most pro analysts suggested that had he not come out a year early, he might well have been the best OL in the nation by the end of his senior year. Also, the marked improvement of the OL against the Saints was due largely to the change in getting plays onto the field, not the fact that Chilo Rachal was not on the field.
anyone notice how Snyder did at guard last game? That may be a better fit for him... Chilo is not a bust though, he just can't seem to stay healthy
Originally posted by SJniner7:
anyone notice how Snyder did at guard last game? That may be a better fit for him... Chilo is not a bust though, he just can't seem to stay healthy

cant seem to play well either
Originally posted by Mayo49:

yeah give him more time
i just refuse to believe that a guy who was known as a "pancake" blocker at USC comes here, does well in yr one, and then collapses...unless it was shiddy coaching, which is where i have my money. I think after half a season with bigRay/solari, chilo will revert to the player he was in college. I think our crap for OL coaching and previous coaches ruined him. He's in good hands now and whatever happens if positive will be due to the McKittrick school of OL coaching returning , as it should have.

Not a total bust, but more of a miscast if anything. Frommt he time he was drafted I saw a Derrick Deese clone, in as much as he's a serviceable starter, but more terrific coming off the bench as a 3rd. Guard...
He is STILL struggling, he has yet to dominate or play with any nastiness or tenacity, we need a right guard that plays with an attitude and a little swagger, if he doesnt start kicking some ass he might be out of a job, you cant make anymore excuses for Chilo, he's in his 3rd season and you cant say "he is still learning the position", Davis and Iupati are meshing well as rookies and look more advanced than Rachal, maybe Snyder keeps the RG job, or else Heitmann could slide over to guard, the team has options, but Chilo needs to start dominating and prove he is worth a 2nd round pick
Originally posted by Mayo49:
Too talented and too young to give up just yet. It's his first year with Solari so give it the whole year before declaring him a bust.

I agree completely. Let Solari work with him this year and then decide in the off-season whether he is a keeper.
  • dj43
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
i just refuse to believe that a guy who was known as a "pancake" blocker at USC comes here, does well in yr one, and then collapses...unless it was shiddy coaching, which is where i have my money. I think after half a season with bigRay/solari, chilo will revert to the player he was in college. I think our crap for OL coaching and previous coaches ruined him. He's in good hands now and whatever happens if positive will be due to the McKittrick school of OL coaching returning , as it should have.
You and I agree. All the reports from camp this past summer was that he was playing much better than in the past. His technique was better and he and Ray Brown had developed a very good relationship. He also played well in PS.

I guess many posters here did not follow any of the news from camp that I cited about his improvement. He certainly has not had enough PT this year to make any definitive judgements. He played two series in Seattle with a new center in a very hostile environment where blocking assignments were virtually impossible to hear. He got a stinger and only played one more series before he had to come out. That is certainly not enough time to say he is a bust, or even incapable of being a solid starter.
dJ, i don't mean to kick up a shid storm, but this is a similar story when we get back to alex. I refused to be either pro or con alex until he a)got a decent coach(and MJ qualifies, as does improvement in JR/bigmike), and b) he got a decent OL(he got a great one, and C and OG play improved when guys around them improved.) Strange how that always seems to happen that way. Don't get me wrong, chilo and alex are two entirely different stories, both ruined by lousy coaching and crappy play alongside or in front of them. Pick up the coaching, pick up the play of other OL guys, and holy cow, everybody suddenly looks better. AMAZING...but 100% predictable. Don't give up on chilo, guys, as he has just started getting the coaching he needs, and bigRay and solari are just the two guys to bring him around. Not Bob McK, but cut from the same cloth. OL outlook? REALLY promising.
Share 49ersWebzone