LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

Redzone - Delanie Walker and Brian Westbrook

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Delanie Walker is a player who can get you some great plays, but that fumble inside the 10 yard-line was probably the biggest killer I saw out there last night. The guy has 90 touches and something like 4 or 5 fumbles in his career, that's just not good enough. We need to get Brian Westbrook in there along with Gore inside the Redzone. Securing the ball should be our number one concern, because this is the second game in a row where our offense has had some great drives right down the field and made mistakes that cost them points inside the red zone.

IMO, Brian Westbrook should be getting a lot more snaps on this team as soon as possible, especially on screen plays, but he should definitely be getting more snaps inside the red zone seeing as though he's much better securing the ball then Delanie Walker. Even on Delanie's screen play along the right side of the field, he almost fumbled that ball away too (getting tackled from behind). You just can't do those things and expect to win.
they aren't interchangeable players but I think we'd all love to see if Raye can find a way to get Gore and Westbrook on the field at the same time

I kind of doubt it but 14 games left to go so we'll see
delanie needs to learn how to hold the football.

brian westbrook still having no impact is a headscratcher
Originally posted by znk916:
they aren't interchangeable players but I think we'd all love to see if Raye can find a way to get Gore and Westbrook on the field at the same time

I know that, but the plays that they were giving to Delanie were ones Westbrook could easily accomplish, so in this case they are interchangeable IMO.
Delanie is fine in the red zone if he could just hold on to the damn ball. Why do we have such a problem with turnovers already.
Originally posted by Method:
Delanie Walker is a player who can get you some great plays, but that fumble inside the 10 yard-line was probably the biggest killer I saw out there last night. The guy has 90 touches and something like 4 or 5 fumbles in his career, that's just not good enough. We need to get Brian Westbrook in there along with Gore inside the Redzone. Securing the ball should be our number one concern, because this is the second game in a row where our offense has had some great drives right down the field and made mistakes that cost them points inside the red zone.

IMO, Brian Westbrook should be getting a lot more snaps on this team as soon as possible, especially on screen plays, but he should definitely be getting more snaps inside the red zone seeing as though he's much better securing the ball then Delanie Walker. Even on Delanie's screen play along the right side of the field, he almost fumbled that ball away too (getting tackled from behind). You just can't do those things and expect to win.

I agree that we need to use Westbrook more often, but Delanie has been solid for a very long time now! I agree he messed up on one play last night, but everyone has a brain fart every now and then. Davis wouldn't be as successful if it weren't for Walker.

You do realize that Delanie Walker and Brian Westbrook play completely different positions, right?

The mismatch of having both Delanie Walker and Vernon Davis on the field at the same time creates opportunities that cannot be replicated with Westbrook. Can Westbrook motion into the backfield and be the lead blocker for Gore? Can Westbrook line up on the line and chip block on a passing down?

Walker's ball security issues can be resolved with practice and coaching.

While I do agree that Westbrook needs to see more touches, I don't believing in taking away critical personnel mismatches with Walker. Westbrook will see more touches as the season rolls out.
brian westbrook as a PUNT RETURNER wouldn't be a bad idea

he's only one of the best to do it.......at worst he'll catch the ball.

c'mon singletary
Originally posted by WestCoast:

dw has shown to be really valuable in the past but with more touches as of late is increasing the odds to fumble. however gore and went through that period so it can be corrected.

according to raye there was intent to use him in seattle but the meltdown called for reliable pass protection. you'd think he would be thrown into gameplannin for saints. now with gore's performance last nite might make a harder case to get in westbrook in

I know that, but the plays that they were giving to Delanie were ones Westbrook could easily accomplish, so in this case they are interchangeable IMO.

I'm not entirely sure you understand the mismatch.

The defense has to choose between bringing in another defensive back or leaving a linebacker in to cover Walker and Davis.

Westbrook's presence wouldn't do that.

This.

I watched the way he held the ball during the returns and he still was holding it with one hand, away from his body, gottdamn Delanie...
Originally posted by redrathman:

I'm not entirely sure you understand the mismatch.

The defense has to choose between bringing in another defensive back or leaving a linebacker in to cover Walker and Davis.

Westbrook's presence wouldn't do that.

True, I'm wrong in them being interchangeable. What I mean is that the plays they are running for Delanie are plays that Westbrook can also do well in; such as the slot screen on the right side of the field. It's not like I'm saying take Delanie out of the game and put Westbrook in his spot, I'm saying that maybe we should take Delanie out because he's not holding onto the ball consistently and getting westbrook in as a 2nd back or something.
Originally posted by verb1der:

This.

I watched the way he held the ball during the returns and he still was holding it with one hand, away from his body, gottdamn Delanie...

i know...even my brother who knows nothing of football was like "damn someone needs to tell him to secure the ball to his chest"
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Did Westrbook even get into the game ?
Originally posted by susweel:
Did Westrbook even get into the game ?

just the wildcat play
Share 49ersWebzone