There are 303 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex's first INT

Good night kids. I'm going to go to bed and dream of a 2-0 start and let reality disturb me tomorrow morning.
that int was on alex. it happens to every nfl qb.
Smiths fault
It was Smith being a little off and Gore tipping it ...... it was two mistakes. Imho
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
It was Smith being a little off and Gore tipping it ...... it was two mistakes. Imho

So you're saying Gore should have half-assed it and not even tried to catch it?

Gore is not to blame at all. Any way you look at it, Alex's inaccurate pass is what caused the tip to begin with.
You're right. It was Alex's ONE mistake and was NOT the reason we lost.

Let's start a thread about it!

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Bad throw. Gore could've done a better job of knocking the ball down since it obviously wasn't a catchable ball instead of alligator-arming it and popping it up into the air.

Popping the ball up in the air contains a big risk of interception, which is exactly what happened.

In summary: Bad throw, should not have been a pick however.

Ridiculous. Gore had to stretch to even touch the ball because it was poorly thrown. I don't think you even know what the term "alligator-arming" means. Had Gore actually alligator-armed it, people on here would be b*tching about him not trying hard enough.

I'll never understand why some people on here always need to blame someone other than Alex whenever he does something wrong.

You're right alligator arming wasn't exactly the right word. He obviously had no chance at making a catch on that ball, but he stuck out one arm, which makes it really easy to pop the ball up. If he was really stretching that far as you say (don't remember it exactly) than he should have let it drop incomplete.

And what part of "wasn't a catchable ball" and "bad throw" means that I'm trying to blame someone else besides Alex whenever he does something wrong?

All I'm saying is that Gore could've done a better job of not tipping the ball into the air which is the only way the ball gets picked in this scenario.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Don't always need to place blame.

This is true. For example, the second INT was a great play and nobody was to blame. However, the poor pass to Gore was Alex Smith's fault and he is to blame.

I agree with this.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

This is true. For example, the second INT was a great play and nobody was to blame. However, the poor pass to Gore was Alex Smith's fault and he is to blame.

I agree with this.

+3.
Bad throw. Gore could've done a better job of knocking the ball down since it obviously wasn't a catchable ball instead of alligator-arming it and popping it up into the air.

Popping the ball up in the air contains a big risk of interception, which is exactly what happened.

Ridiculous. Gore had to stretch to even touch the ball because it was poorly thrown. I don't think you even know what the term "alligator-arming" means. Had Gore actually alligator-armed it, people on here would be b*tching about him not trying hard enough.

I'll never understand why some people on here always need to blame someone other than Alex whenever he does something wrong.

You're right alligator arming wasn't exactly the right word. He obviously had no chance at making a catch on that ball, but he stuck out one arm, which makes it really easy to pop the ball up. If he was really stretching that far as you say (don't remember it exactly) than he should have let it drop incomplete.

And what part of "wasn't a catchable ball" and "bad throw" means that I'm trying to blame someone else besides Alex whenever he does something wrong?

All I'm saying is that Gore could've done a better job of not tipping the ball into the air which is the only way the ball gets picked in this scenario.

It doesn't matter if you say the ball was not catchable, the fact is you're trying to place blame on Gore and he is not to blame AT ALL.

Your logic is ridiculous. If you can touch the football, you try to catch it. Period. That's what Gore did. Did you happen to see Randy Moss' beautiful TD catch this weekend? By your logic, he shouldn't have tried to catch it because it was overthrown and he had to stretch out and use one hand to bring it in.

The bottom line is people would be whining about Gore not giving a full effort had he not done everything he could to try to catch that ball. It's not his fault the ball was poorly thrown and he actually made an effort to make it work. Gore was put in a no-win situation right there, at no fault of his own.

By the way, what you're really saying in the bolded portion of your post is Gore could have done a better job of quitting on the play.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Sep 21, 2010 at 00:25:45 ]
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Afrikan:

I agree with this.

+3.

lol.
That one was on Alex. He still should've been able to make that throw despite the pressure.

But other than that he was pretty spot on with his passes so I have no gripes with his performance as a whole.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Smith's mistake.

Agreed. He should have scanned the whole field after he snapped the ball. That way, he would have noticed the blitzing defender and then been have been more aware of the situation.

Regardless, it was a poor throw. That INT is on him.

-9fA

Easier said than done when you have 200 + lb men running at you lol.. if ONLY ALEX SMITH used a slow motion Madden CARD!!!!! gry]
I place more of the blame on the wind. seems like the ball got pulled by the wind. Similar, Brees' dropped int by lawson got pushed down by the wind. Both teams were going in the same direction.