There are 135 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith Needs to Continue to Scramble

For the first time since I can remember, Alex scrambled twice (once for a first down, maybe twice). Alex needs to not only have faith in his arm, but in his feet once in awhile. Especially in those 3rd and 3 or 3rd of 4 situations.

I couldn't be happier than ever to see him do it. Alex, continue to make accurate passes like tonight, but don't forget your feet. On those 3rd down conversions, don't forget our feet.

~Dann~
+1
And whats more, he scrambled to the left, never seen that one before..
Why he waited till the last drive beats me.

There was one play where he rolled to the right, and could have easily ran for 4+ yards on his way out of bounds. Instead he threw it away. A yard or two can make all the difference.
I don't mind that he doesn't scramble as much anymore. It just shows that he's gotten better as a passer.

But some designed roll-outs would definitely add a new element of danger for defenses.

I think what he's doing is fine though.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:

There was one play where he rolled to the right, and could have easily ran for 4+ yards on his way out of bounds. Instead he threw it away. A yard or two can make all the difference.

I think I remember that play. It annoyed the hell out of me too. One of the only few times I complained about Alex all day. Overall, though the stats don't say it, Alex had a great game.
You know, it didn't look like he was running fast yet he kept out running everybody and getting 1st down
I have been saying this for a long time, he had a good set of wheels in college, and in his first year or two in the NFL.

Then all of a sudden he stopped scrambling ever, man if he scrambled just a few times a game, defenses would have something else to plan for.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I have been saying this for a long time, he had a good set of wheels in college, and in his first year or two in the NFL.

Then all of a sudden he stopped scrambling ever, man if he scrambled just a few times a game, defenses would have something else to plan for.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

I think I remember that play. It annoyed the hell out of me too. One of the only few times I complained about Alex all day. Overall, though the stats don't say it, Alex had a great game.

It was sort of annoying but I think Alex really was trying to make a play. He had time out there, and he even got to set his feet before throwing, but no one managed to get loose. I saw the replay and to me it looked like alex really wanted to hit VD on the scramble drill but VD got out positioned and couldn't get away. He had stopped all of his momentum to set his feet, and the defense was getting there, so throwing it away was a good decision at that point. I can't really fault him for that one.
definitely, getting a couple yards on a scramble beats a throwaway out of bounds every time

I couldn't believe it when I saw Alex go left like 5 times today, amazing
Originally posted by thojess:

It was sort of annoying but I think Alex really was trying to make a play. He had time out there, and he even got to set his feet before throwing, but no one managed to get loose. I saw the replay and to me it looked like alex really wanted to hit VD on the scramble drill but VD got out positioned and couldn't get away. He had stopped all of his momentum to set his feet, and the defense was getting there, so throwing it away was a good decision at that point. I can't really fault him for that one.

It's very possible. I'd have to watch the replay tomorrow when I'm sober!
Originally posted by znk916:
definitely, getting a couple yards on a scramble beats a throwaway out of bounds every time

I couldn't believe it when I saw Alex go left like 5 times today, amazing

Haha, I hear you there. Now he just needs to throw it sometimes, instead of eveytime he scrambles left he runs it. Keep that defense guessing!
Originally posted by thojess:

It's very possible. I'd have to watch the replay tomorrow when I'm sober!

I know what you guys are saying for sure though, I wanted him to hit the turbo button and get 7 yards there, but if that scramble drill would have got someone running down the field open, that could have been 6 points.

I definitely want to see more running out of Alex, it actually should be a part of our offense because he is pretty fast and smart running with the football. Look at the college stats, that was 1/2 of his game. We must let him do that more often to maximize his effectiveness at the position.
word!!!

naked bootleg?! hello?!