LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 126 users in the forums

Revised season predictions knowing what you know now.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I will let you know after I see what happens on Monday. If they come out and refuse to compete then I doubt we even get to 8-8. If they go out and turn it into a football game, then I would say 10-6. If they can compete with the Saints, they should be able to compete with any other team in the NFL.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LivFreeOrdIHrd9r:
Wow you are selling them out this early? Have some faith man. Its one game into the season and your already pouting. Let me tell you something, The 1994 49ers started the season terribly and at one point steve young was taken out and replaced in a 33-8 loss to the eagles. But that was the turning point!! Steve got fired up and wanted to mangle Seifer for what he did. Thats when the team truly started to look at young as their leader. The next game against the lions they turned things around jump started their season again. 33-8 was a worse score than 31-6 and they played a hell of lot worse to. It was not even on the road. So let me tell you something mr 1-15, HAVE SOME FAITH!!!!! It only takes one game to turn a season around.

This team didn't win 14 games last year! In fact the Cardinals were the ONLY team they beat with a winning record. They beat couldn't keep their cool on the road, had trouble getting plays in, their Quarterback had accuracy problems, they couldn't generate a pass rush without blitzing, and their corners were susceptible to being beaten deep. We've been told all summer how last year's issues have been fixed. But game one showed that NONE of last year's issues were fixed. I WAS predicting 11-5, but that meant they had to sweep the NFC WEst, take 3 out of 4 from the AFC West and pick up a couple more - probably Tampa and either Philly or Carolina. But without ANY of last year's issues being corrected, a more realistic assessment is: 4-2 in the division, 2-2 against the AFC West more likely, with one other win (Tampa?) for 7-9.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
16 - 1

realistically

9 - 7

I don't think we are as good as 9 - 7. If you look at the schedule we could start 0 - 4 easily.

Are expectations at first were too high, now I think there too low. 9-7 sounds about right to me, I could be wrong.
We could easily start 3-1 too its only one game people be lucky we got stomped out in week 1 and have a chance to fix things. Lots of teams have fixed it after week 1 whether we are that team remains to be seen.
Someone in this thread suggested cloning Bill Walsh. Not an impossible idea, you know. It is being done in animals now. All you need is a snippet of hair to get the DNA. The only problem is that it might be 35 years before the clone is old enough to be hired as the 49er's HC. Even then, Jed's son would probably fail to have the smarts to hire him. Oh, well.
Originally posted by Axl49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
16 - 1

realistically

9 - 7

I don't think we are as good as 9 - 7. If you look at the schedule we could start 0 - 4 easily.

Are expectations at first were too high, now I think there too low. 9-7 sounds about right to me, I could be wrong.
We could easily start 3-1 too its only one game people be lucky we got stomped out in week 1 and have a chance to fix things. Lots of teams have fixed it after week 1 whether we are that team remains to be seen.
  • dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Smokie:
Wow you are selling them out this early? Have some faith man. Its one game into the season and your already pouting. Let me tell you something, The 1994 49ers started the season terribly and at one point steve young was taken out and replaced in a 33-8 loss to the eagles. But that was the turning point!! Steve got fired up and wanted to mangle Seifer for what he did. Thats when the team truly started to look at young as their leader. The next game against the lions they turned things around jump started their season again. 33-8 was a worse score than 31-6 and they played a hell of lot worse to. It was not even on the road. So let me tell you something mr 1-15, HAVE SOME FAITH!!!!! It only takes one game to turn a season around.

LOL! Comparing a team that had a tradition of domination along with a HOF QB to one that has a culture of losing and BHOF (Bust Hall of Fame) QB Smith is really funny. That is the definition of an improper analogy. Have the 49er fans become so degraded that they are willing to compare this trainwreck to teams of old? The fans actually deserve some of the blame actually because we continue to support this abomination of a team despite losing year after year. Stop buying tickets! Make the Yorks sell! That was one of the big factors for Cohan selling last year (besides his tax troubles)-- he saw attendance declining, and weak season ticket sales. Prior to that, Warrior fans were co-dependents in the losing tradition. People like you who continue to have "faith" are the fools that the Yorks count on to keep afloat. I have been a fool before, but I refuse to put a cent into their coffers until they put out a winning product or go away. The fans have no other option to change things. If you REALLY cared about the team, you would be critical, not supportive. So many people are quick to say that you are not a "true" fan unless you support the team at all costs. BS! You guys are not helping the situation at all.

I am not predicting 1-15 because we do have some talent, but I think they will be 8-8 at best this year.
If York sells you can say goodbye to any Bay Area location for the 49ers. No one other than PERHAPS Larry Ellison would put up with the anti-business, anti-"rich people" mentality of the Bay Area. A ready-made market exists in SoCal for the first established team that wants to move there.

what a silly thing to say.
What do you mean silly? That is the absolute mentality of the SF Board. They hung so many requirements on anything in the city that it made no sense at all. SF ranks second to New York in terms of attractiveness to businesses, and that includes the 49ers.

So Santa Clara looks like the best shot but where is that money going to come from? It is one thing for voters to say, "we want a team here" but that doesn't mean there is any money going to be available.

LA is much more likely to build a premium facility than SF...and I dislike LA with a passion.

But this is all irrelevant because I don't see John York's ego allowing him to sell the team. He has said on numerous occasions he wanted to keep it for Jed to run.

its silly because it comes even further out of left field than the thought of the Yorks selling. They aren't going to sell, and even if they did, I haven't read/seen/heard anything to indicate that anyone who bought a Bay Area team would move out of the Bay Area. The Warriors aren't moving.

The SF Board is dumb, and they mishandled the entire stadium issue. But there will be a new stadium in the Bay Area sooner than later--Santa Clara is in the Bay Area, after all--and you said that the team would move out of the Bay Area. Silly.

Anyway, there will probably be an NFL team in LA at some point soon, but the owner who moves his team there is going to regret it. The city wants an NFL team, but the public, last I heard, is decidedly lukewarm on the issue.
As I said, York isn't going to sell. However, you may recall there was a time last spring when Jed was obviously hanging out the idea of leaving the area if they couldn't make something work in Santa Clara.

I still want to see the money before I will believe it will actually happen. That kind of money is very scarce these days.
I will stick with 9-7 for now but I realize it could just as easily be 8-8 or 7-9 ...... we still demonstrate some of the same weaknesses of the recent past.

Issues in run blocking matched with a coach who stubbornly wants to run any time we need to ...... even when the run blocking isn't there, add in pass blocking so far , and an inconsistent pass rush with a very suspect set of DB's. We need to see improvements in these areas to beat good teams. I am hoping that the OL improves with the rookies as the season rolls on.

[ Edited by 49ERGUY on Sep 19, 2010 at 03:03:43 ]
I'll get back to you Monday at about 9PM.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
It was ONE f**king game. God damn
im sticking with 9-7 with a possibility of a playoff chance - Our division is horrid

I'll be surprised if we go 8-8.

Sadly, that will be good enough to win the NFC West
Originally posted by Smokie:

LOL! Comparing a team that had a tradition of domination along with a HOF QB to one that has a culture of losing and BHOF (Bust Hall of Fame) QB Smith is really funny. That is the definition of an improper analogy. Have the 49er fans become so degraded that they are willing to compare this trainwreck to teams of old? The fans actually deserve some of the blame actually because we continue to support this abomination of a team despite losing year after year. Stop buying tickets! Make the Yorks sell! That was one of the big factors for Cohan selling last year (besides his tax troubles)-- he saw attendance declining, and weak season ticket sales. Prior to that, Warrior fans were co-dependents in the losing tradition. People like you who continue to have "faith" are the fools that the Yorks count on to keep afloat. I have been a fool before, but I refuse to put a cent into their coffers until they put out a winning product or go away. The fans have no other option to change things. If you REALLY cared about the team, you would be critical, not supportive. So many people are quick to say that you are not a "true" fan unless you support the team at all costs. BS! You guys are not helping the situation at all.

I am not predicting 1-15 because we do have some talent, but I think they will be 8-8 at best this year.

With the product they put on the field last week and since 2002, everyone should sell their tickets and black them out Monday night...it would serve the Dorks right...
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
I will stick with 9-7 for now but I realize it could just as easily be 8-8 or 7-9 ...... we still demonstrate some of the same weaknesses of the recent past.

Issues in run blocking matched with a coach who stubbornly wants to run any time we need to ...... even when the run blocking isn't there, add in pass blocking so far , and an inconsistent pass rush with a very suspect set of DB's. We need to see improvements in these areas to beat good teams. I am hoping that the OL improves with the rookies as the season rolls on.

Plus, a HOF Bust at QB
Last week was a little bit quirky. I will reserve judgement on this team's record until after Monday's game. I originally predicted 11-5 by the way.
8-8 sounds about right, although if that happens we need to revamp the front office.
Share 49ersWebzone