There are 199 users in the forums

Morgan "the OLine has to give Alex time to throw"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Smokie:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
This is called losing the locker room. When you have teammates calling each other out in the press, it is just the tip of the iceberg. Simpletary is done.

its good to be called out sometimes hopefully this will pressure the o line to perform better and if they do then it was all worth it

The O-line is severely hampered by the lack of respect that opponents have for Smith, Smith's lack of playmaking ability, and the late play call that limit the potential for adjustments and audibles (although I can't remember Smith calling an audible-- does anyone else? I am serious.).

he cant call an audible if you remeber for the last couple of days raye has had problems getting in the play on time alex has no time to even read the defense let alone call an audible that wristband on his hand should help a little

I agree that the play calling issue is a hindrance. But honestly, have you ever seen him call one? Even at home?

hard to remember but he called one in preseason this year so im sure he has done it before
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
It was a total team loss, you cannot pin it on any one player, or even just the players themselves, it was an organizational failure from the coaching staff right down through the ranks of the players. The only guys getting a pass from me are Willis and Justin Smith.

Exactly...

Also, once the defence got burnt and we were behind the whole team lost it's emotional edge and anybody that thinks that a GOOD defensive coach won't exploit two rookie offensive linemen in their first professional game is delusional...
Many of us were delighted with our two first round OL selections in the draft. But we were realistic enough to understand that it would take awhile for the rookies to reach a high level of play. Hence, we knew that Alex was going to be pressured early in the season and his play would suffer as a result.

We may not have anticipated, however, that Raye was going to be so slow in getting in plays and we were hopeful that Raye would broaden his play-calling with Alex and the offense being more familiar with his system.

Do not downplay poor line play, or good defensive play by the opponent. Last year, for example, our defense completely throttled Warner - 44.9 QB rating.
  • bret
  • Veteran
i think the negativity toward the offensive line is uncalled for. The Niners threw one pass over twenty yards (and that was late). They ran one running play outside the tackles. You're absolutely BEGGING the Seahawks to crowd the line with 8 man fronts. No line can run consistently well under those conditions.

Then the team only tried to open it up in the passing game after they were hopelessly behind, the defense was pumped and the crowd was into it.

Talk about putting your players into positions to succeed! The game plan and, even more, the adjustments (I hardly call taking your mostly successful receiving target OFF the field to go 3 wide-outs when you're behind an adjustment) was the problem with our o-line.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Many of us were delighted with our two first round OL selections in the draft. But we were realistic enough to understand that it would take awhile for the rookies to reach a high level of play. Hence, we knew that Alex was going to be pressured early in the season and his play would suffer as a result.

We may not have anticipated, however, that Raye was going to be so slow in getting in plays and we were hopeful that Raye would broaden his play-calling with Alex and the offense being more familiar with his system.

Do not downplay poor line play, or good defensive play by the opponent. Last year, for example, our defense completely throttled Warner - 44.9 QB rating.

I agree most of us are expecting the OL to continue to improve and have growing pains with the rookies.

I agree that getting the plays in late definitely has hurt our offensive unit including the OL.

Morgan is dead on , that the O line has to do a better job in order to make those long throws and stretch the defense like we need to do. I would also add that Smith needs to be accurate in those throws as well.

[ Edited by 49ERGUY on Sep 19, 2010 at 11:00:29 ]
it came down like a punt
Folks, this is a legitimate statement and let me explain how.

1) In the beginning of the game, things looked good, we lit up the Seahawks for three straight potential scoring drives. Protection was decent, but not spectacular. Our ability to run, however, was not there.

2) Alex does take some blame, because he could've done much better. But he started phenomenally. The thing is, when we did not capitalize on our opportunities, and our opponents did.. AND adjusted to the fact we couldn't run... They pinned their ears back with the lead and rushed us to death. Our young OL couldn't handle the constant pressure and folded. Alex lost his rhythm, our defense couldn't stay off the field because of a sputtering offense, and everything fell apart.

We need the OL to play better all around. They were good enough when it came to pass blocking in the first half, but exceptionally poor in the second half. As far as run blocking, they were never good. They stunk the entire game.

If our OL plays so poorly that we become one dimensional.. We're in for a rough ride. Couple that with other mistakes, and things get ugly in a hurry.

Morgan is right, but at the same time we have to make the most of any opportunities we have -- especially early -- and overall, the whole team just needs to play better.
Tards, Lambs, and Shehawks all lost
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
I like Morgan, haters gonna hate but he dose his job and he dose it well.

this whole "haters gonna hate" thing in NT reminds me of the communist trials of the 1950's. The easiest way to make oneself look righteous is to accuse the other party of being a hater. It's most effective when used while swinging from Smith's balls... your example was more benign.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

This is a really terrible division. All the more reason there should be no excuse from our team if we do not win this division outright!

OBVIOUSLY!!! Theres nothing wrong w/ saying that people. The O-line killed the run game, and imo we dont have the ability to pass yet, so thats that.

Why would he criticize the DBs if he doesn't play defense??? THAT would split the locker room!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

1) In the beginning of the game, things looked good, we lit up the Seahawks for three straight potential scoring drives. Protection was decent, but not spectacular. Our ability to run, however, was not there.

2) Alex does take some blame, because he could've done much better. But he started phenomenally. The thing is, when we did not capitalize on our opportunities, and our opponents did.. AND adjusted to the fact we couldn't run... They pinned their ears back with the lead and rushed us to death. Our young OL couldn't handle the constant pressure and folded. Alex lost his rhythm, our defense couldn't stay off the field because of a sputtering offense, and everything fell apart.

We need the OL to play better all around. They were good enough when it came to pass blocking in the first half, but exceptionally poor in the second half. As far as run blocking, they were never good. They stunk the entire game.

If our OL plays so poorly that we become one dimensional.. We're in for a rough ride. Couple that with other mistakes, and things get ugly in a hurry.

Morgan is right, but at the same time we have to make the most of any opportunities we have -- especially early -- and overall, the whole team just needs to play better.

I agree, Morgan is right. But that wasn't 100% on the O-line. Like you said, the D pinned their ears back and rushed them to death. Not their fault. This team has been known to play like this since last season. Run and short passing early and then 3 wide spread/shotgun after they're behind by 20+ points.

I blame this on Sing and Raye. This has been the bluebrint to beating the Niners since Hill was QB last season.
Raye has done nothing to change this offense from last season. It's the same ground and pound, dink and dunk offense. Nothing will change until we see some aggressive play calling EARLY in the game.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I agree, Morgan is right. But that wasn't 100% on the O-line. Like you said, the D pinned their ears back and rushed them to death. Not their fault. This team has been known to play like this since last season. Run and short passing early and then 3 wide spread/shotgun after they're behind by 20+ points.

I blame this on Sing and Raye. This has been the bluebrint to beating the Niners since Hill was QB last season.
Raye has done nothing to change this offense from last season. It's the same ground and pound, dink and dunk offense. Nothing will change until we see some aggressive play calling EARLY in the game.

Exactly. And it's the same old story. One game plan. One. One single plan, no plan B. The other team adjusts, and then we're completely confused and have no idea what to do -- we just absolutely crumble to pieces. I don't understand this. This is stupid football. We back ourselves into a corner doing this.

It's like Raye and Sing have this "do or die" philosophy where they come out to play with only one game plan and if things don't go as expected, "Well, shucks guys. Seems it's time to pack it in and hope we guess right next week." It's disgusting to me, because it seems like that is exactly what is happening when I watch this team.

I want us to come out firing and doing everything possible to keep opposing teams off balance all game long. I want us to -- for ONCE -- have a frickin' contingency plan, or better yet, multiple contingency plans to work with if we have to make adjustments.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 19, 2010 at 18:58:52 ]
  • fly15
  • Veteran

Jason Campbell was benched... who's next??
Originally posted by fly15:

Jason Campbell was benched... who's next??

Anderson if he has another performance like today.
Share 49ersWebzone