There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

3 Types of Football in the NFL

• TFSP
I'm not creating a post to talk about what our team is doing wrong. There has been too much of that all week thus far. I'M OFF TODAY, I had time to write a long post, so here it goes....

What I'm attempting to do is wake up some of you ESPN followers. Wishing your team was like this or like that, or whoever ESPN is selling. If this doesn't apply to you, then don't be offended. Only the offended will respond in defense.

In today's NFL, there are 3 types of football. There is the Smash-Mouth type. It's designed to run to open up the play action pass or deep pass. Which you need big powerful physical o-lineman, a mobile Qb that can sell the play action, MORE than 1 HB on your team that REALLY contributes, a TE that we have, and at least one real big speedster WR that catches everything(which what we don't have) along with Wr's that can catch, block, and run great routes to run this type. Low Risk, Low Reward. BUT has a GREAT Defense!

Then there is the Spread. These expensive intelligent lineman have quick feet, but they are a smaller type o-line, but their quickness allows the QB to have up to 5 seconds to throw the ball and allow them to run the draw effectively. You need 'a great decision maker type' QB that will stay in the pocket and throw the very accurate pass. The HB doesn't need to be the top 5 in rushing, but can be a threat out the backfield. The Wr's(plural) all need to be vary similar in their abilities. The TE needs to be a better pass catcher than a blocker. High Risk, High Reward. this team has small, but fast Defense, that you can run on, but difficult to pass against because usually their offense is usually up 14 pts. So they know your trying to pass.

Then there is the 'West Coast', which is based on a accurate, 'the ability to buy time type' Qb, both HB and FB are good runners and great pass catcher's, the with the TE and WR's being great route runners. BUT THE O-LINE ARE 'Tweeners'(Lineman that have quick feet, are a little over 300lbs, but play physical like they are 330lbs). They are hard to come by. They are usually very intelligent, and physical. Medium Risk, Medium Reward. This defense is usually balanced. When they have 3 elite players(1 d-lineman, 1 linebacker, 1 corner) on Defense with serviceable players surrounding them, then they play very well.

NOW, with all that said, a defense has to compliment the offense. What wins playoff games, AND Championships consistently? Defense.

In the playoffs and super bowl, you need to be able to run the ball when you want and need to, pass the ball when you need to, and stop the run with a stout Defense...ask the Colts how many times they have been to the playoffs vs. rings. Oh and NOLA will not win another ring for a long time.

The 49ers direction of a complete 'Smash-Mouth' football team is in the making. A.Simth in THIS offensive personnel, with our type of lineman, with our very good HB's, with our very good TE's, with our Wr's(missing that true #1 WR), and with our very good Defense, he is better served at the play-action than the spread when throwing the ball. A.Smith is making the adjustments. BUT no way in hell do we start all over with the depth of this team. NOW in our 12 formation, we do create mismatches when we spread the formation, but our WR's are not the traditional fast, and quick route runners for the spread.

When the o-line gels completely before the bye-week, we hope to see AS sidestep rushers, step up into the pocket, and throw the ball. That's the kind of QB I want, not a QB who can ONLY thrive in the spread offense.

Is that what you want? Many of you have been pleading for the 'Spread offense' and do not understand we don't have the personnel for that. We didn't spend 50% our of salary on our QB and O-line. Did you see the one preseason game where Indy's 2nd string Qb played? Do you want that?

JUST BE PATIENT FANS.
I miss the WCO.
I personally dont care what offense we run aslong as we are effective and can score, but I do miss the WCO it just looks good when red n gold do it.
Originally posted by TFSP:
Who else is offended? ...lol....lol

Great post! I think many people talk out of their ass and don't know much about football, yet they expect the 49ers to be something that doesn't fit their 'mold'. I'm sure this will help some people understand.

BTW.... Just a suggestion.... It would be great if you took all 32 teams and placed them in whichever category they fit in. It will click for some fans if they see supporting examples for each category.

[ Edited by Norcal9erfan on Sep 16, 2010 at 13:33:57 ]
  • TFSP
Originally posted by 9erObsession:
I personally dont care what offense we run aslong as we are effective and can score, but I do miss the WCO it just looks good when red n gold do it.

Did Bill Walsh use X and O's to adjust to his personnel? Or did he come to the organization and said, "this is what I know, and this is the system I'll use? I don't care who the personnel is..."
Actually a good post.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Actually a good post.

you read?
Nice post TFSP. A lot of the suggestions that I've read this week are likely great ideas on the Nintendo but, as you point out, aren't very viable with our roster. I sure hope you're right about "when" the O-line gels, having found the courage to review Sunday's game I'm begining to think "if" might be the better term. And then there's Smith. I sure hope you're right, but by the time the O-line gets its act together it may be too late.

Again, that was nice read. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Sep 16, 2010 at 13:53:59 ]
  • TFSP
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by TFSP:
Who else is offended? ...lol....lol

Great post! I think many people talk out of their ass and don't know much about football, yet they expect the 49ers to be something that doesn't fit their 'mold'. I'm sure this will help some people understand.

BTW.... Just a suggestion.... It would be great if you took all 32 teams and placed them in whichever category they fit in. It will click for some fans if they see supporting examples for each category.

Thank you.

We've seen the last several years of playoff teams that use certain systems. That is when you see the true identity of the team. In the last 10 years, The Pats who run a complex spread offense, WHO also had great Defenses and players that could play different positions(the whole organization was great), only the 2000 rams, 2007 colts, and last years saints have a ring that have a high risk high reward offense, that can only stop the pass.

The Lambs could beat anybody during that time INDOOR, which is where that super bowl was played(clearing my throat). The league has been waiting to give the PManning a ring, and no one in this forum can say last year's New Orleans team was better than last years Vikings team. Farve said himself and real fans of the sport know that Frave calls his own plays, he f**ked that game. In that NFC championship game, they hardly ran the ball as consistently as they should had, while alternating the backs. Also the Vikings defense didn't go after Brees like they NOLA went after Farva-rella....etc...Vikings should have won that game. Anyway...

That's 3 teams that had a high risk high reward offense that had great pass coverage defenses, that could've been ran up the middle on, ALL DAY.

There's so much more to look into when it comes down to how a team wins or loses, but real fans of the sport now what i'm talking about. To you others, lol remove yourself from the MATRIX, I mean ESPN!!!
  • TFSP
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Actually a good post.

you read?

Tell me where I'm wrong? Please, educate me...

cuz we own it. Like john stocton and carl malone doin the pick n roll. You just can't stop it.

This -----
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way.
  • TFSP
Originally posted by cNiner:

This -----

Of course it looked good cause we got rings from it. But let me ask any of you who think the West Coast offense is what works best for the TEAM. When was the last time a team that used the West Coast Offense won a super bowl? Tampa Bay and that year they had one of the best Defenses of all time. There offense wasn't even that dominant. It was just that they were able to be effective with good players. But that Defense is what got them a ring, not the WC offense! My opinion, the WC offense was the best offense in the years where there was not a salary cap. I'm not knocking how we got our rings but it's the truth.

And for the Spread Offense 'band-wagon riders', with that new referee lining up behind the QB, to NOW call offensive-holding, that penalty alone will increase for those that use that system. Watch...
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home