LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Can we get Alex Smith a Greg Jennings of his own?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Take notes #15, you could become that guy (not that you're reading). If you haven't seen Greg Jennings spectacular grab or the way he burned Hobbs after Hobbs took a cheap shot at his head the previous play, you're missing out. And if you're someone who nags about Smith's high throws when the receivers don't catch them, imagine if he had a tall WR, with great leaping ability and excellent hands to throw to, as most top-notch QBs do. Behind every great QB is a good O-line and a group of talented receivers. Think no further than today's Colts or yesteryears 49ers. Smith has one established target in Davis, but it would be nice to get one of the guys on the outside to produce at #85's payload.

Can we just get Alex to play like other good QB's like for example Philip Rivers if you watched the Monday night game? Rivers has a his starting tackle and WR holding out/suspended. Has a rookie for a RB, his 3rd down RB is 5'4" tall and he's being harrassed all night and still wiggles behind the line without panic and throws for 300 yards. Gates at times was triple covered and he has 2nd and 3rd string WR's in Floyd and Nanee are his primary targets.

Alex has it good, his line is improved, VD is improved, and he has Crabtree, Gore and even Morgan is decent.

Smith's only excuse other than himself is his coaching.
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
I'm sure Crabtree is wishing he had his own Aaron Rodgers.

this
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
I don't know man, I've been defending and supporting Smith for the longest time. It's pretty obvious that he just isn't an accurate QB and completely buckles under pressure. I'm pretty confident this is his final year in a niner uni

A lot of QBs buckle under pressure! Rodgers buckled under pressure last year on the final series against the Cardinals. First he missed Jennings wide open over the middle for what would have been almost a sure TD, and then he got sacked and fumbled away the game. That was a choke job. And no, it isn't a knock against Rodgers. It is just a a testament to the fact that QBs choke under pressure. And what seems to increase the odds of choking is playing for a not so good football team, which is what the 49ers have been for Smith's entire career. And yes, that is fair to say as of today because we just found out our coaches STILL cannot get the plays called in as they should be able to, and are in turn crippling our odds of winning PROFESSIONAL football.

At least Rodgers got his team to the playoffs and scored over 40 points in that game. Alex can't even score a touchdown yet. Rodgers didn't choke in that game either, he got hit by a blitzing corner. And Alex is the primary reason our team has stank the past 5 years.

Bulls**t.

Alex hasn't even played 5 years, and this statement lies directly in the face of things like Nolan, Martz, Hostler, Kwame Harris, Darrel Jackson, etc.

But keep hating dude. Alex isn't perfect, but you sure like to twist the facts.

What has been the common denominator of Nolan, Martz, Hostler, Kwame Harris, Darryl Jackson etc...? Alex Smith. Alex ain't gettin it done. You draft a QB with a number one overall pick for one reason... to be your franchise quarterback and lead your team to the playoffs, and then some. He hasn't done jack since he's been a 49er. No more excuses. I'm tired of them. Win or go home.
Take notes #15, you could become that guy (not that you're reading). If you haven't seen Greg Jennings spectacular grab or the way he burned Hobbs after Hobbs took a cheap shot at his head the previous play, you're missing out. And if you're someone who nags about Smith's high throws when the receivers don't catch them, imagine if he had a tall WR, with great leaping ability and excellent hands to throw to, as most top-notch QBs do. Behind every great QB is a good O-line and a group of talented receivers. Think no further than today's Colts or yesteryears 49ers. Smith has one established target in Davis, but it would be nice to get one of the guys on the outside to produce at #85's payload.

VERY TRUE.....Everybody loves rogers but neglects to say he has 2 pro bowl targets (1 still that level in jennings) that bail him out. Rogers threw 2 INT"S and ALSO looked bad, HIGH throws and 2 INT'S that were HIS FAULT (1 of smith's were not). Also maybe if one of our wr's would get wide open, he could hit him....even with a high throw. I also remember Rogers overthrowing a wr by about 5 yards....nuff said. Smith can improve, but rogers on our team would not fair much better
Originally posted by elguapo:

VERY TRUE.....Everybody loves rogers but neglects to say he has 2 pro bowl targets (1 still that level in jennings) that bail him out. Rogers threw 2 INT"S and ALSO looked bad, HIGH throws and 2 INT'S that were HIS FAULT (1 of smith's were not). Also maybe if one of our wr's would get wide open, he could hit him....even with a high throw. I also remember Rogers overthrowing a wr by about 5 yards....nuff said. Smith can improve, but rogers on our team would not fair much better

hahahahahahaaha... Alex fanboys kill me..lol

keep telling your self Alex is a clone of Rogers...or Manning or Brady or what ever yall fellas always throw out there.... if "Pro Bowl" QB was here he would struggle too

how about this...Alex also has 2 probowl players on offense.... Frank Gore and Vernon Davis....and one who played like a probowler last year in Crabtree.... NOT TOO MANY TEAMS CAN SAY THAT.

how about this.... Rogers has those two ProBowlers...but hey, he did his part and made the Probowl himself. Has Alex gave any indication that he is going to be a ProBowl QB?

AND OUR F'N RECEIVERS DID GET OPEN....3 TIMES for TDs and Alex f'd up.

overthrew Morgan
overthrew Norris
and wouldn't you know it...when Ginn burns his man, Alex decides to under throw it

one more time...read what you typed.

" I also remember Rogers overthrowing a wr by about 5 yards....nuff said. Smith can improve, but rogers on our team would not fair much better"

so Rogers overthrew a WR by 5 yards? so that is enough said? that means Rogers=Smith?

"Rogers on our team would not fair much better"
apparently so

ps. don't take this post personal Elguapo, it was more of a general rant.
You can't get a WR with a lot of stats when your QB throws it out of bounds every other play!
You can give him Greg Jennings, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, and Randy Moss and he would still look lost. He would still roll out to the right when there is no pressure and throw it out of bounds. Or throw it 10 feet over the receiver's head. But keep the excuses coming. They are amusing to read.
I don't know man, I've been defending and supporting Smith for the longest time. It's pretty obvious that he just isn't an accurate QB and completely buckles under pressure. I'm pretty confident this is his final year in a niner uni

A lot of QBs buckle under pressure! Rodgers buckled under pressure last year on the final series against the Cardinals. First he missed Jennings wide open over the middle for what would have been almost a sure TD, and then he got sacked and fumbled away the game. That was a choke job. And no, it isn't a knock against Rodgers. It is just a a testament to the fact that QBs choke under pressure. And what seems to increase the odds of choking is playing for a not so good football team, which is what the 49ers have been for Smith's entire career. And yes, that is fair to say as of today because we just found out our coaches STILL cannot get the plays called in as they should be able to, and are in turn crippling our odds of winning PROFESSIONAL football.

At least Rodgers got his team to the playoffs and scored over 40 points in that game. Alex can't even score a touchdown yet. Rodgers didn't choke in that game either, he got hit by a blitzing corner. And Alex is the primary reason our team has stank the past 5 years.

Rodgers missed a wide open Jennings for a game winning TD in that last series prior to the sack. It was similar to Smith's miss with him and Davis in Week 1 of the preseason.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

keep telling your self Alex is a clone of Rogers...or Manning or Brady or what ever yall fellas always throw out there.... if "Pro Bowl" QB was here he would struggle too

how about this...Alex also has 2 probowl players on offense.... Frank Gore and Vernon Davis....and one who played like a probowler last year in Crabtree.... NOT TOO MANY TEAMS CAN SAY THAT.

how about this.... Rogers has those two ProBowlers...but hey, he did his part and made the Probowl himself. Has Alex gave any indication that he is going to be a ProBowl QB?

overthrew Morgan
overthrew Norris
and wouldn't you know it...when Ginn burns his man, Alex decides to under throw it

" I also remember Rogers overthrowing a wr by about 5 yards....nuff said. Smith can improve, but rogers on our team would not fair much better"

so Rogers overthrew a WR by 5 yards? so that is enough said? that means Rogers=Smith?

apparently so

I won't take it personally but can you come to the reality that Rogers has looked good mainly due to his wr's & OL (that blocks for a while as long as he doesn't hold onto the ball for 10 seconds). Even with a Pro bowl TE and RB....how does that help Alex if he can't have time to throw and is constantly harassed. Our wr's do not get open very often....but you know who does VD and last year 13 td's so Smith can hit wide open wr's just not ours.

By the way read what you wrote....crabtree played like a pro bowler last year????????? How by running wrong routes, not coming back for the ball, dropping a few passes. Sorry but you are wrong here.

Alex does not = Rogers. Rogers is more accurate but struggles when his wr's or line does not block....what a surprise. Against PHI 180 yards and 2 int's....what a joke, he hit a WIDE open wr in jennings...great job.

Give Alex more than 3 seconds to throw and then if he screws up i will agree with you
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for Kilgore_Trout.
Originally posted by mitpdub:

Can we just get Alex to play like other good QB's like for example Philip Rivers if you watched the Monday night game? Rivers has a his starting tackle and WR holding out/suspended. Has a rookie for a RB, his 3rd down RB is 5'4" tall and he's being harrassed all night and still wiggles behind the line without panic and throws for 300 yards. Gates at times was triple covered and he has 2nd and 3rd string WR's in Floyd and Nanee are his primary targets.

Alex has it good, his line is improved, VD is improved, and he has Crabtree, Gore and even Morgan is decent.

Smith's only excuse other than himself is his coaching.

Floyd is 6'5" and can leap out of the gym. He also has good hands. I'd trade him for Crabtree in a second. Nanee, is 6'2", quick, and also has good hands. Both of these guys are better than any receivers on the 49ers. As for Gates, he was wide open a lot. And why are you knocking Sproles because of his height? He is a great pass catching back. Don't forget, Smith had to do it last season without his starting LT as well...

Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
I'm sure Crabtree is wishing he had his own Aaron Rodgers.

im not defensing smith or anything but look at the GB highlights his WR gets wide open our WRs never do that
Originally posted by Afrikan:

overthrew Morgan
overthrew Norris

apparently so

I see Smith "fanboys" as realists. Brady plays in an offense that makes QBs look good. How do we know this? Matt Cassel.
Originally posted by oreck16:
I like your logic, but I'm pretty sure every 'greg jennings-esque calibur WR' out there is already signed with another team.

Did you see Dez Bryant? Even I, as a Cowboy hater, saw that he had what it takes to be a very good NFL receiver.

I stopped reading your thread here

Did you see Crabtree play last year? He proved without a doubt that he has what it takes to be a very good NFL receiver...much more convincingly than a single game out of a rookie receiver up to this point..

the guy had a bad game, get over it..
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
I'm all for sending Smith to Green bay.....
He can can have the real Jennings

This is a great idea! Alex Smith for Aaron Rodgers!

Then Alex will have a Greg Jennings!
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Bulls**t.

Alex hasn't even played 5 years, and this statement lies directly in the face of things like Nolan, Martz, Hostler, Kwame Harris, Darrel Jackson, etc.

But keep hating dude. Alex isn't perfect, but you sure like to twist the facts.

I agree, putting all the blame on Alex is wack, but you can't deny that his passes are still off target. That hasn't changed and there's no excuse. Yeah, one or two might be attributable to being out of sync with his receivers (and when is that excuse gonna tire out?), or someone runs the wrong route, but when he has time and everyone is on the same page, and he still sails the ball, or is too far in front or behind..........Sorry, but that's the same old Alex. What's really perplexing to me is, he WAS accurate in college, and will he ever get to a level of consistency? So far, it ain't looking good.
Share 49ersWebzone