LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Raye: "Scoring takes the crowd out of it a lot better than anything else."

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It is Alex Smith folks. Did you hear #11 was keeping up Jimmy and Mike at all hours of the night with his constant questioning? Smith is takin' this thing over! And if that causes you anxiety, remember what he did last year at Indy when the headset went out. If you don't recall, it was seven plays in under two minutes for the TD...
I hope he figures out what the next play will be alot quicker. AS needs reasonable time to make the calls and get the ball off before the play clock expires. Maybe like a couple of red bulls at the beginning of each quarter would help soup things up a bit.
Too bad Alex is under center

otherwise what he said would have some credibility
Fair enough, Oreck, but remember, you call vanilla games during the preseason and leave your "real" offense for the regular season.
Originally posted by oreck16:
Too bad Alex is under center

otherwise what he said would have some credibility

Will you man up and eat a little crow if Alex has a good game sunday?? Or will you just continue to hate?
Did anyone else notice a little smile sneak onto his facezas he said it??? Almost made believe that he will actually be agressive. Wouldn't that be nice, timezwill tell.
By "scoring", Jimmy Raye means putting up 14 points and then running out the clock. That's of course in the second half. Jimmy is too sleepy in the first half to notice the crowd noise anyway.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
By "scoring", Jimmy Raye means putting up 14 points and then running out the clock. That's of course in the second half. Jimmy is too sleepy in the first half to notice the crowd noise anyway.

Dreams crushed.
JR and bigmike are poised to become...heroes...or goats.(NOT GOATs) Funny how it should all come down to actually putting a very good team together( probably couldn't have beaten either NO or Vikes last nite), but our two headguys are really ready to take the next step. Will they play lites out, play to win...or will they play C.S. "play not to lose". What's interesting is that they, with a lot of baalke's help, finally have good talent on the field, we actually cut guys who would have started for us in a heartbeat just 3-4 yrs ago, and they seemingly are on the right track.

Still and all, it comes down to one thing...coaching philosophy. Some will say they played not to lose last yr because they truly couldn't win. Now we are very equal to or better than half the teams in the league, but we have no idea how we stack up against the NOs, Vikes, Pats, Colts. Well, 48 hrs to go and we find out...did these guys play pooh ball because that was their philosophy, or because of not much talent, they had to.

Bottom line? all the good that has happened will be washed away in a millisecond if we get a lead and then play "prevent D"...a sure loser if ever there was one. OR, we go on O and take no chances, just "run it down their throats". That is the scenario we all are awaiting...and frankly I have no idea how it is gonna turn out. After all this time, with some really good/great players, I still have no idea which MS is going to show up at gametime, and same with jr. But once the game starts, it will be apparent to all which game we are going to play: either play not to lose, a sure loser's mentality, or play to win...which is exactly what i hope we do. Oh, and as for those that worry about DBs and not covering... Here's another clue as to which fork in the road we take. IF aDB can't cover, have him blitz. But if you see bigmike make manusky play 7-8 yds off Wr, then we got the same team we had last yr. And that, to this 33 yrs long diehard fan, would be a horrible disappointment.

My bet? I bet they play to win. IF not, then both are gone by yrs end if not before.
Jimmy will put the crowd and the Hawks to sleep with his play calling. We will win, if we can manage to remain alert.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
JR and bigmike are poised to become...heroes...or goats.(NOT GOATs) Funny how it should all come down to actually putting a very good team together( probably couldn't have beaten either NO or Vikes last nite), but our two headguys are really ready to take the next step. Will they play lites out, play to win...or will they play C.S. "play not to lose". What's interesting is that they, with a lot of baalke's help, finally have good talent on the field, we actually cut guys who would have started for us in a heartbeat just 3-4 yrs ago, and they seemingly are on the right track.

Still and all, it comes down to one thing...coaching philosophy. Some will say they played not to lose last yr because they truly couldn't win. Now we are very equal to or better than half the teams in the league, but we have no idea how we stack up against the NOs, Vikes, Pats, Colts. Well, 48 hrs to go and we find out...did these guys play pooh ball because that was their philosophy, or because of not much talent, they had to.

Bottom line? all the good that has happened will be washed away in a millisecond if we get a lead and then play "prevent D"...a sure loser if ever there was one. OR, we go on O and take no chances, just "run it down their throats". That is the scenario we all are awaiting...and frankly I have no idea how it is gonna turn out. After all this time, with some really good/great players, I still have no idea which MS is going to show up at gametime, and same with jr. But once the game starts, it will be apparent to all which game we are going to play: either play not to lose, a sure loser's mentality, or play to win...which is exactly what i hope we do. Oh, and as for those that worry about DBs and not covering... Here's another clue as to which fork in the road we take. IF aDB can't cover, have him blitz. But if you see bigmike make manusky play 7-8 yds off Wr, then we got the same team we had last yr. And that, to this 33 yrs long diehard fan, would be a horrible disappointment.

My bet? I bet they play to win. IF not, then both are gone by yrs end if not before.

I wholeheartily agree, it is time to play to win. It's been awhile and I am sure eager to see it again.
He probably just says things like that before taking his pill. Then it's back to the real Jimmy Raye.

In all seriousness. Jimmy is capable of calling a very good game, we just don't see it enough. The creativity I saw most was in misdirection plays last year.

The spread will be especially effective if we use it for things like the quick pass or bubble screens on first and second downs. These will help us create 2nd or 3rd and short, much more manageable situations. This is something we need to do more often, but at the same time, our rushing attack is hard to ignore. We just need to keep other teams off balance.

Pass when they expect you to run. Run when they expect you to pass. It's an art.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 10, 2010 at 22:21:03 ]
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Jimmy will put the crowd and the Hawks to sleep with his play calling. We will win, if we can manage to remain alert.

i dont think we saw the real offense last year. they changed gears halfway through the year and im sure the offense didnt know all the plays. with another off season for raye to tailor this offense to our players strengths. it should be interesting. atleast we have guys like gore, dixon and smith to some extent who can change a play if they dont like it, gore and dixon head one way and it doesnt work so they cut back all the time. this year our playmakers will show us what they got despite the offense theyre put in
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
He probably just says things like that before taking his pill. Then it's back to the real Jimmy Raye.

In all seriousness. Jimmy is capable of calling a very good game, we just don't see it enough. The creativity I saw most was in misdirection plays last year.

The spread will be especially effective if we use it for things like the quick pass or bubble screens on first and second downs. These will help us create 2nd or 3rd and short, much more manageable situations. This is something we need to do more often, but at the same time, our rushing attack is hard to ignore. We just need to keep other teams off balance.

Pass when they expect you to run. Run when they expect you to pass. It's an art.

I was encouraged by a lot of the plays I saw in preseason. There is a nice mix. There aren't an endless array of designed roll outs. Instead, they look to be letting our players play most of the time. Now it just comes down to the play calling itself. I was not encouraged seeing 3 RB draws in a row, or 2nd and 10 fullback dives during the preseason.

I think if we can just take the garbage plays out, and keep it simple, and not get too cute, we'll have a chance to be a really good offense. Keeping it simple is key, because we have so many dangerous options for Smith this year, we need to just put them all on the field and let Smith decide who gets the ball based upon what the defense it doing. They can't defend them all, and it is not necessary to force feed anyone this year.

Imagine: Westbrook runs to the left flat, Gore runs to the right flat, Ginn and Davis run deep and Crabtree keeps the linebackers honest in the middle. How the hell are they going to defend that? We could almost run that every play.
There is NO need at ALL for 2nd and 10 fullback dives.
Share 49ersWebzone