LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 247 users in the forums

Goldson and VD

Shop Find 49ers gear online
You guys think we will be able to sign and keep both of them next year..along with Franklin? I hope so but im seeing at least one of those slipping away from us if I had to make a bet..course if there isnt a lock out..which i doubt..anyway fam..thoughts? concerns?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
VD will get resigned but I think they will let Goldson walk. Its probably why we are keeping 5 safeties this year.
Originally posted by susweel:
VD will get resigned but I think they will let Goldson walk. Its probably why we are keeping 5 safeties this year.

My thinking exactly. We have no replacement for Vernon. As for Goldson, we've got Reggie Smith and Taylor Mays waiting in the wings. It doesn't bode well for Goldson to be a Niner in 2011.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

My thinking exactly. We have no replacement for Vernon. As for Goldson, we've got Reggie Smith and Taylor Mays waiting in the wings. It doesn't bode well for Goldson to be a Niner in 2011.

mays is taking michael lewis' spot next year
I see us keeping both Goldson and VD and letting Franklin walk since we have RJF. With the way he was playing in preseason i think we can afford to let franklin walk.
I think we'll be able to sign Davis to an extension this year based on his play.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

mays is taking michael lewis' spot next year

I doubt it. Safeties typically take 3 years to learn the nuances of the defense. If Mays does it in 2 years, then that's good for all of us.
It all depends on Goldson.
Originally posted by VA49er:

Ya, it depends how much money hes gonna ask for
Originally posted by jarrod49:
I see us keeping both Goldson and VD and letting Franklin walk since we have RJF. With the way he was playing in preseason i think we can afford to let franklin walk.

I hope RJF's play in preseason translates well into the regular season. With that said, if Franklin plays well, we will need both of them anyways. Good DT’s are pivotal in our 3-4 scheme. We need more than one good DT to keep the pressure on. Besides that, Franklin isn't getting any younger. I don't think he is going anywhere, even if he has a great season.

I think if Goldson asks for too much money, he will be gone. The niners have prepared well by supplying the safeties with decent backups and getting rid of Roman.

[ Edited by TheVoiceOfReason on Sep 8, 2010 at 18:13:33 ]

Originally posted by VA49er:
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Lewis is done after this year that's why we chAnged his contract to a one year and mays WILL take his spot. Franchise Franklin again draft a backup nt to RJF. Resign Davis and Goldson s performence will decide his contract
We will not resign Franklin. I think we keep Davis and Lawson. We will allow Goldson and Frankilin to leave via FA imo as we have good depth behind them.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by WINiner:
We will not resign Franklin. I think we keep Davis and Lawson. We will allow Goldson and Frankilin to leave via FA imo as we have good depth behind them.

Lawson is gone after this season, if they were gonna keep him they would have already signed him to an extension. They never even talked about an extension with him.
Goldson is overrated. Don’t get me wrong I hope he becomes an elite safety. He is just out of place a lot of the time and he rarely wraps anyone up. If he produces this year then we will for sure attempt to sign him, if not its Aloha.

As for VD, sign him to a 5 year contract.
Share 49ersWebzone