There are 160 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Brady pass Montana in your mind???

Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
bunch of Blind homers here, I swear.

imo, yes Montana is the greatest for what Joe has done as a player.....but to downplay what Brady has done in his career like some are doing in this thread, is just nonsense.

I disagree. I think it is important to look at the game as it is, compared to how it was. That is pretty important when comparing players from different eras. Brady is the best of today, but he doesn't touch Montana.

disagree with what?
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Important question, who is cuter?
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Simple answer: No.

Brady appears to have more physical skills but Montana had well above average skills that were more than adequate for the job. What Montana had that set him above ALL other QBs that I have ever seen, and I go back to black and white, was an amazing ability to make the action just stop. In the midst of critical situations that petrified other talented players, Joe was just Joe Cool.

A classic story from the second Cincinnati Super Bowl, IIRC, had the 49ers driving for the winning score with time winding down. With everybody filled to overflowing with adrenalin, a time out was called. As players gathered around wondering what the play call would be, Joe looked up into the end zone stands and saw John Candy. He said, "Hey, you guys. Look. There's John Candy." Classic Montana!

In the midst of all that turmoil and emotion, Joe had that unique ability to rise above it all. He went on to throw a perfect pass to John Taylor for the win. THAT is why Montana was a better QB than Tom Brady will ever be.

imo, yes Montana is the greatest for what Joe has done as a player.....but to downplay what Brady has done in his career like some are doing in this thread, is just nonsense.

I disagree. I think it is important to look at the game as it is, compared to how it was. That is pretty important when comparing players from different eras. Brady is the best of today, but he doesn't touch Montana.

disagree with what?

Your blind homers statement. While there may be a few, many are pointing out the differences in the two QBs routes to success. The developments (exposures) since Brady's successes have cast a lot of doubt (for many) on just how much of that success was on Brady's abilities, or the "extra preparedness" orchestrated by the coaches.

They play in two very different eras. Rule changes, Free agency, salary cap.

Since "What ifs" are so popular around here.. what if the "tuck rule" never happened? Would Brady even be a household name? Success usually breeds success, no?

Some will say... "What if you take away "The Catch", but I don't think that can be done. That was a play made by the offense. The "Tuck rule" was a controversial call.
nate davis #1!!!1!!!eleven
  • dj43
  • Veteran

disagree with what?

Your blind homers statement. While there may be a few, many are pointing out the differences in the two QBs routes to success. The developments (exposures) since Brady's successes have cast a lot of doubt (for many) on just how much of that success was on Brady's abilities, or the "extra preparedness" orchestrated by the coaches.

Since "What ifs" are so popular around here.. what if the "tuck rule" never happened? Would Brady even be a household name? Success usually breeds success, no?

Some will say... "What if you take away "The Catch", but I don't think that can be done. That was a play made by the offense. The "Tuck rule" was a controversial call.
On the matter of rule changes; the rules concerning receivers have been changed to make the game much more pass friendly since Montana played. Those changes have helped Brady in a comparative sense.
I'm amazed Ken Dorsey's name isn't being uttered here in this thread.

Fer Reals Joe Montana's career will never be eclipsed by Brady's. Too much controversy surrounds Brady. Joe's SB victories were won untainted. NO controversial calls NO cheating just straight up football.

That said I wouldn't be sad to have the prodigal son return home and play for the team he grew up idolizing and win a couple of SB's In regards to greatest 49er QB's, that would put him just ahead of Steve Young in my book.

In comparison to Montana it isn't. Adam Vinateri won more SB's than Tom Brady did. Bill Walsh didn't cheat for his QB like Belicheat did. Tom Brady is good, real good, but he's no Montana and that fate is already sealed by history.

disagree with what?

That tuck rule judgment wiped out a big error by Tom Brady. The Catch was a spectacular play by D. Clark and J. Montana.
Originally posted by fastforward:

disagree with what?

That tuck rule judgment wiped out a big error by Tom Brady. The Catch was a spectacular play by D. Clark and J. Montana.

Thank you, I think you said it better.
First and Foremost I am a Niner fan. I am more than willing to discuss any QB to replace Montana in our hearts and minds. Because, for that to even be a question, someone is going to have to win multiple championships as a Niner!!!!

I despise Alex Smith, but if he wins a few championships....sure we can talk. Anybody can replace Montana.....its just going to take a lot of rings...all the better for the fans if somehow someday Montana ends up being our 2nd best QB.

But I think we all know that is not going to happen in our lifetimes.
Originally posted by TDilvr:
I'm amazed Ken Dorsey's name isn't being uttered here in this thread.

Fer Reals Joe Montana's career will never be eclipsed by Brady's. Too much controversy surrounds Brady. Joe's SB victories were won untainted. NO controversial calls NO cheating just straight up football.

That said I wouldn't be sad to have the prodigal son return home and play for the team he grew up idolizing and win a couple of SB's In regards to greatest 49er QB's, that would put him just ahead of Steve Young in my book.

I don't think that will happen. The Patriots will not let Brady go before they have an heir apparent (they don't.) If they do, they will want a treasure trove of picks, and the deal would likely be disastrous on the level of the OJ Simpson trade that the 49ers made years ago: mortgaging the future for a great who is no longer great.
Originally posted by WINiner:

In comparison to Montana it isn't. Adam Vinateri won more SB's than Tom Brady did. Bill Walsh didn't cheat for his QB like Belicheat did. Tom Brady is good, real good, but he's no Montana and that fate is already sealed by history.

OMG THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! when I say Blind Homers.... Adam Vinateri won more SB's than Tom Brady?

Vinateri DID NOT KICK A 80 yard field goal in the playoffs and the SuperBowls.... Tom Brady drove his team down the field in crunch time when it counted most.

what ever I'm wasting in this thread....there are Football fans and then there are just blind 9er fans who don't understand football.

OMG THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! when I say Blind Homers.... Adam Vinateri won more SB's than Tom Brady?

Vinateri DID NOT KICK A 80 yard field goal in the playoffs and the SuperBowls.... Tom Brady drove his team down the field in crunch time when it counted most.

what ever I'm wasting in this thread....there are Football fans and then there are just blind 9er fans who don't understand football.

Of course, Brady did well in driving his team downfield in many of those AFC Championships and SBs, but A. Vinatieri also deserved credit for booming those kicks to clinch the games. That's what I always liked about the 49ers SB wins. They did not need a kicker to clinch them in the final moment (even though Dallas was very close to clinch it in the NFC Championship had it not for a great defensive play to cause Danny White to fumble the ball.) All of the wins were decisive.

You're missing the point.

The question is, would Brady pass Montana in our minds. We have to compare the two based on their play, but also in the type of football in which they played. The game is very different from what it was in Montana's era.

Vinateri did not kick an 80 field goal... but, without Vinateri's kick... would Brady win those Super Bowls? I doubt it.

Montana won Super Bowls; Brady did just enough for his team to squeak out the win (also had controversial help getting there). A subtle distinction... but it makes the world of difference.

The answer for most of us is... No. I suppose your answer is yes?
If it is... ok. Now go take a nap, you're entirely too sensitive.