There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

John Clayton's take on Alex Smith

I'm convinced this guy doesn't know jack about football. The 49ers receivers catch more bad balls than most other NFL teams? Please... on any given Sunday there are several incredibly difficult and acrobatic catches made that make QBs look great. However, those highlights haven't been created by a 49er since Terrel Owens left town. This is as bad as his comment stating that Calvin Johnson is going to have a harder time getting open this season because he doesn't have as good of a supporting cast; never mind the Burleson and Scheffler signings... and it being Matt Stafford's second year as an NFL QB...

I'm babbling, here is his quote.

Quote:
Q: Alex Smith might be going into his sixth season, but he's only had two seasons of more than 200 attempts. He put up 18 TDs, 2,350 yards and a 60.5 completion percentage in his 10½ games last year behind one of the worst O-lines in football, and had a higher QB rating than a quarterback you listed as elite, Matt Ryan. But you give him a no chance of becoming an elite QB. Why?

Anthony in Bay Area, Calif.

A: Accuracy. I know he has his completion percentage up to 60.5, but he doesn't place the ball as accurately as the quarterbacks I rated above him. Smith tends to throw passes that are a little behind or a little ahead of a receiver. Remember, the receiving corps around him is very good and they catch more bad balls than most other teams. I think Smith is as good as he's going to get.
Quote:
[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Sep 6, 2010 at 12:25 AM ]
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,832
Damnit, crypt keeper!

Alex does have a tendency to put the ball a little too far infront, or behind, or high (alot).

But our receivers drop passes left and right.
"A: Accuracy. I know he has his completion percentage up to 60.5, but he doesn't place the ball as accurately as the quarterbacks I rated above him. Smith tends to throw passes that are a little behind or a little ahead of a receiver. Remember, the receiving corps around him is very good and they catch more bad balls than most other teams. I think Smith is as good as he's going to get."

I agree with the bold part...and if any 9er fan disagrees then they are obviously in denial...

as far as having a very good receiving corps.....well I think they are better than most...

Crabtree has saved Alex on numerous occasions..and still tries too, which led to his injury in training camp.

and Vernon does go up for the ball alot......and Josh Morgan usually catches passes.

so he has a Probowl TE, potential Pro Bowl WR who makes incredible catches.....and a good 2nd WR....as well as a good RB out of the backfield.

there are not alot of teams with those types of weapons.....

but I disagree with him saying Alex is "as good as he is going to get".
Uh, John Clayton is bad, Mmkay. So don't read Clayton because he's just bad. Mmkay
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
I'm convinced this guy doesn't know jack about football. The 49ers receivers catch more bad balls than most other NFL teams? Please... on any given Sunday there are several incredibly difficult and acrobatic catches made that make QBs look great. However, those highlights haven't been created by a 49er since Terrel Owens left town. This is as bad as his comment stating that Calvin Johnson is going to have a harder time getting open this season because he doesn't have as good of a supporting cast; never mind the Burleson and Scheffler signings... and it being Matt Stafford's second year as an NFL QB...

I'm babbling, here is his quote.

Quote:
Q: Alex Smith might be going into his sixth season, but he's only had two seasons of more than 200 attempts. He put up 18 TDs, 2,350 yards and a 60.5 completion percentage in his 10½ games last year behind one of the worst O-lines in football, and had a higher QB rating than a quarterback you listed as elite, Matt Ryan. But you give him a no chance of becoming an elite QB. Why?

Anthony in Bay Area, Calif.

A: Accuracy. I know he has his completion percentage up to 60.5, but he doesn't place the ball as accurately as the quarterbacks I rated above him. Smith tends to throw passes that are a little behind or a little ahead of a receiver. Remember, the receiving corps around him is very good and they catch more bad balls than most other teams. I think Smith is as good as he's going to get.
Quote:

That is a fairly Damning post by Clayton that shows his lack of knowledge on the subject. He must be referring to the 49ers Highlights where the receivers make great catches. That is probably the extent of his knowledge on Smith, and the 49ers.
Kilgore,

You typically post iconoclastic, interesting threads.

This, however, is a dry well.

Get your chin up and hussle!

*slap on the ass*

I'm looking forward to next week too.


Originally posted by Afrikan:
"A: Accuracy. I know he has his completion percentage up to 60.5, but he doesn't place the ball as accurately as the quarterbacks I rated above him. Smith tends to throw passes that are a little behind or a little ahead of a receiver. Remember, the receiving corps around him is very good and they catch more bad balls than most other teams. I think Smith is as good as he's going to get."

I agree with the bold part...and if any 9er fan disagrees then they are obviously in denial...

as far as having a very good receiving corps.....well I think they are better than most...



Crabtree has saved Alex on numerous occasions..and still tries too, which led to his injury in training camp.

and Vernon does go up for the ball alot......and Josh Morgan usually catches passes.

so he has a Probowl TE, potential Pro Bowl WR who makes incredible catches.....and a good 2nd WR....as well as a good RB out of the backfield.

there are not alot of teams with those types of weapons.....

but I disagree with him saying Alex is "as good as he is going to get".

I can agree with some of this. I really believe that this ball placement thing is one of the funniest Smith misnomers. I think I am going to chart every throw in week one from every QB. From what I saw in preseason QB's throw the ball slightly off with a high rate of frequency. I would like some real numbers to back up my observations though. It seems to me that SMith throwing behind players was more a product of not being comfortable with the system (i.e. not being confident about where players whould be, and so not pulling the trigger). You will notice that this year he seems to be more on target with his passes... In college he seemed to be very accurate, so I really doubt that trait has left him.

Crabtree and Vernon were close to the league lead in drops last year so at the very least you should call that a wash if you are being fair. I will agree that Alex has alot of weapons and seems to A. have a better grasp of the offense this year (big key), and B. have protection (a huge key). I think you should really watch a whole game with one of the elite QB's and notice how many passes are slightly off - it was fairly shocking to me when I started watching for it.
No he's not as good as he's going to be. He never even had 2 years in the same system until now. Plenty of QB's have had 5 + years in the same system. That makes a difference.
It will be funny when he makes the pro bowl. of course though, he won't get any credit, crabtree, gore and davis will
The good thing is, there's less than 7 days til we start answering all these questions .
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The good thing is, there's less than 7 days til we start answering all these questions .

Thank you sweet Jesus
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The good thing is, there's less than 7 days til we start answering all these questions .

Thank you sweet Jesus
clayton is an idiot. its easy to bash someone who hasnt proven anything so they all do it. once alex starts putting up good numbers with all these weapons theyre gonna stop saying that bulls**t.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The good thing is, there's less than 7 days til we start answering all these questions .

Thank you sweet Jesus
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
clayton is an idiot. its easy to bash someone who hasnt proven anything so they all do it. once alex starts putting up good numbers with all these weapons theyre gonna stop saying that bulls**t.

The Saints game should put to rest a lot of the outdated perceptions about this team.