LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 1, 2010)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CMBieschke:
We need to get Troy Smith up to speed immediately.

Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Michael Crabtree better get his f**king ass out on the field 12 hours a day w/ Alex Smith. He doesn't need preseason? f**king a*****e

dude, wtf???
Alexcuses has 5yrs...

But I agree, he needs to get on the field 12 hrs, but with D. Carr. Alex wont last for long

God damn man. Yes, Alex Smith sucked ass today, I am not saying anything about him at all in this observation. But to have Crabtree not practicing and not getting reps CANT help now can it?? This was a TEAM loss, where EVERY player looked like s**t. Besides Justin Smith and Patrick Willis, of course.
  • dj43
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by dj43:
Alex Smith got off to a good start but then played poorly. However, the turndown started when Crabtree short-armed the first pass and then failed to hold an easy throw that went for a pick. At some point, the QB begins to throw the ball to where a defender won't catch it, but that means the receiver can't catch it either.

One problem leads to another, and another, and another.

Yeah he started off pretty well and then fell apart when he overthrew the pass to Norris. But I don't even get why Norris is still on this team. We already know he can't run and can't jump, he's not even a good blocker anymore, so what the f**k is the point? And I'm sorry but Crabtree was a f**king messing. He runs the wrong route and drops the pass that's right to his chest which winds up being an INT, that cost us 14 points!!!!!
I understand the play call to Norris - he is the least likely guy to catch a pass so Seattle ignores him on the route - he is wide open but fails to make a difficult catch, but it was a ball that Frank Gore or Brian Westbrook would have caught.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by CMBieschke:
We need to get Troy Smith up to speed immediately.

Your Back I Missed You....
okay i think ive calmed down now...

go niners?

• dj43
Originally posted by TJA85:
Originally posted by dj43:
Alex Smith got off to a good start but then played poorly. However, the turndown started when Crabtree short-armed the first pass and then failed to hold an easy throw that went for a pick. At some point, the QB begins to throw the ball to where a defender won't catch it, but that means the receiver can't catch it either.

One problem leads to another, and another, and another.

It really started with that terrible holding call on Nate Clements... Just went downhill from there...

Yes, I bet the 49ers get an apology from the league on that missed call. That was clearly the wrong call.
That game sucked.

Thats all I have to say.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:
Michael Crabtree better get his f**king ass out on the field 12 hours a day w/ Alex Smith. He doesn't need preseason? f**king a*****e

dude, wtf???
Alexcuses has 5yrs...

But I agree, he needs to get on the field 12 hrs, but with D. Carr. Alex wont last for long

God damn man. Yes, Alex Smith sucked ass today, I am not saying anything about him at all in this observation. But to have Crabtree not practicing and not getting reps CANT help now can it?? This was a TEAM loss, where EVERY player looked like s**t. Besides Justin Smith and Patrick Willis, of course.

ok ok
Alex Smith completed 26-of-45 passes for 225 yards and two interceptions in a Week 1 loss to the Seahawks.
Smith certainly didn't get any help from Michael Crabtree, but he was brutal in this game. He showed erratic accuracy, a weak arm, a troubling pocket presence, and poor decision making. His two back-breaking interceptions, including a pick-six, put the Niners in a big hole that they never escaped. Smith is a poor bet to play all 16 games, and the Niners can't be considered NFC West favorites with him under center.

Frank Gore gained just 38 yards on 17 rushes while adding six receptions for 45 yards against the Seahawks in Week 1.
Gore had a chance to go off early in the game, but the Niners couldn't capitalize on two red-zone possessions early on. His numbers were further hurt when the team was forced to abandon the run with Seattle out to a commanding lead in the third quarter. Look for Gore to rebound next week in a home game against the Saints.

Vernon Davis led the 49ers with eight receptions for 73 yards against the Seahawks in Week 1.
Davis easily remained Alex Smith's go-to receiver after Michael Crabtree disappeared early in the game. David led the team with 12 targets, but he never got a chance in scoring position after the Niners blew a couple of early-game chances in the red zone. Davis is an elite TE1 for next week's game against New Orleans.

Michael Crabtree was held to just 12 yards on two receptions against the Seahawks in Week 1.
Look no further for the Niners' goat in this one. Crabtree's lazy routes and poor effort contributed to both of Alex Smith's back-breaking interceptions, and he disappeared once the Seahawks jumped out to a big lead. After sitting out most of August with a neck strain (wink-wink), Crabtree managed to convert just two of eight targets. You drafted him as a WR2, so keep him in the lineup against the Saints and hope it was a one-week aberration.

rotoworld.com
  • dj43
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
With all the head set problems, why not have a back up QB like Car ready to run out and relay the message....WTF

Why not allow your QB the option to call his own plays. Afterall, that is what they spent quite a bit of time doing in TC.

MODS...Can we PLEASE get ONE post-game thought thread?

Anyway some post game thoughts by Sando..

Quote:
What it means: The NFC West appears more wide open than anticipated. Yes, it's only one game, but this outcome served notice on a few fronts, whereas a convincing San Francisco 49ers victory would have affirmed suspicions. The Seattle Seahawks weren't exactly prolific on offense, particularly early. But the Seahawks appeared better coached and better quarterbacked than the 49ers and that was significant (even though Alex Smith did not play poorly for the most part).

Big Revelation: The Seahawks are not a disaster after overhauling their roster and losing left tackle Russell Okung to an ankle injury. Winning this game was huge for Seattle's confidence in its first game under coach Pete Carroll. It provides needed validation for Carroll's approach and allows players to buy in fully without blind faith. In short, Seattle now appears in position to win a couple more games over the next several weeks -- something I didn't see happening because I thought the 49ers' advantages in talent and continuity would make life difficult for Seattle, shaking the Seahawks' confidence.

Goat: 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree dropped one pass and appeared to run the wrong route on another. Both miscues resulted in interceptions. Meanwhile, Seattle's receivers -- including reclamation project Mike Williams -- exceeded expectations. Tight end Vernon Davis had called out Crabtree during practice and the assumption was that Davis wanted Crabtree to show more urgency in returning from a strained neck. There's plenty of urgency now.

Goat II: That would be me, your NFC West guy. I'll stand up tall and take full responsibility for predicting an 0-6 start for Seattle. The reasoning was defensible, in my view, but the lesson seems clear. The unknown isn't always a bad thing. The Seahawks said they upgraded personnel at most positions and I'd say the evidence supported them at least for one day. Specifically, Carroll had said he hoped the home crowd would help the pass-rush become effective, and that happened in this game. Chris Clemons gave Joe Staley trouble.

Critical Call: The 49ers went for it on fourth-and-goal from the 1 early in the game, and ceded momentum on the road when Smith missed fullback Moran Norris. A pass to the fullback on fourth-and-goal? OK, but it had better work. It did not.

What's next: The Seahawks take confidence on the road against a flawed Denver Broncos team. The 49ers are home against the defending Super bowl champion New Orleans Saints on Monday night. It's not a stretch to think Seattle could be 2-0 and the 49ers 0-2 in another eight days. Take that, Sando

RE: Headsets...via Tim Kawakami...
Quote:

timkawakami : Wow. Alex Smith being very clear there was only 1 instance of a tech problem with headphones. Other times: "We had trouble getting it in."

timkawakami: Alex Smith just completely backed up my guess/thoughts. 49ers' slow playcalls came only on key offensive moments. There's a problem here.

From BARROWS:

Quote:
mattbarrows : Smith said the headset malfunctioned only once today. The other problems were a function of getting the play in too slowly.
This issue about the whole not getting plays into Alex within the time is infuriating. I don't get it... So when Jimmy Raye is picking a play does he like wait to see if the play works and then thinks about the next one? WTF. Dude should have plays ready to go after he picks his play. One if the play doesn't work (air and ground) and one if the play does work (air and ground). I just don't understand.

Another observation that really worried me is that there was NO urgency? What the f**k was that about? Alex is walking slowly to the line of scrimmage....

And what was with the punt when it was 4th and 9 and we're in their side of the 50? We'll gamble for 4th when we can get much needed for sure points in the 1st quarter but down 22 with 12 minutes left we punt? Jimmy Raye doesn't have a play that is over 9 yards?

God this was a horrible and worrying game.
Feel sorry for those in Las Vegas. They didn't even get the spread of +3.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I'd bench Crabtree at this point. Start Morgan and Ginn, with Ziegler as the #3....make Crabs earn his PT back in practice.
This team failed, miserably at all levels. The worst happened. The team is already built and we have to rebound next week.

Same issues again plagued us
Alex
Play calling
Game management
CBs
OL

I am a die hard optimist, but even this game felt like a kick in the nuts! Right now, we are the laughing stock of the NFL because all eye were on us and lost to a weaker team.
Share 49ersWebzone