LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

Serious reservations about the playcalling

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I watched/taped the game last night on NFL Network....and I think that Jimmy Raye's playcalling has not improved at all. It's going to continue to be a wet blanket that will hamper this team's progress through the season.

And I think that's a shame...because I saw our starters make some pretty impressive plays out there. They're basically going to have to fight not only with their opponent, but Raye's garbage playcalling.

How many more 3rd and long draws are we going to see, even if it's Brian Westbrook with the ball now? Eventually, even the quality of your personnel cannot cover up the stench of crappy playcalling. The calls have no rhythm, no cadence. No sense of balance, and no serious read of the defense.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
do yourself a favor and erase the game footage it's pre season yeah I'm kinda upset he didn't call Crabs # or Davis and only ran Frank twice could have meant the game
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, too early to rag on the play calling. Give it a couple games.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
It's late in the preseason, these games might not count, but Saturday's game was called in way that should be familiar if you watched any of our regular season games last year.

Raye's doing nothing special because it's preseason, he's just doing his normal thing.

Again, I'm sure that if our starters were out there more, there would have been more production, but the calls were the same old crap as they were last season.

Basically no reading of the defense.
Run, run, run.....
Head against the brick wall syndrome on 2nd, 3rd and short.

You see the defense stacking 8-9 guys in the box, but your dumb ass still wants to run up the gut? This is the NFL, winners play smarter, not just harder.
let's unleash our REAL regular season playbook and lose a preseason game.
Raye is 60 plus years old. He's not gonna change his play calling it is what it is. to think he's gonna grow or something is crazy. i'm pretty sure he's set in his ways for better or worse.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by kray28:
It's late in the preseason, these games might not count, but Saturday's game was called in way that should be familiar if you watched any of our regular season games last year.

Raye's doing nothing special because it's preseason, he's just doing his normal thing.

Again, I'm sure that if our starters were out there more, there would have been more production, but the calls were the same old crap as they were last season.

Basically no reading of the defense.
Run, run, run.....
Head against the brick wall syndrome on 2nd, 3rd and short.

You see the defense stacking 8-9 guys in the box, but your dumb ass still wants to run up the gut? This is the NFL, winners play smarter, not just harder.

1st drive of the game 3-2 shotgun Smith 6 yard pass 1st down

find something else to complain about
  • Mex49
I don't buy that vanilla crap either. Preseason is as important for the coaches as it is for the players.

If you are not creative in practice and your not creative in preseason, why would we be creative , and successful in the regular season.
You guys are crazy if you think that the coaches will show off their full playbook to a team that we play in Week 6. Why would we give them that kind of film to study? Think about that before you assume the vanilla argument is not appropriate.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
let's unleash our REAL regular season playbook and lose a preseason game.

I couldn't give a rat's ass if we won or lost the game. I am commenting on the quality of the playcalls, especially with the starting unit out there.

This late in the preseason, with the starting unit, against a non-conference opponent, most teams aren't afraid to expose their real playbook. One of the motivations is to instill confidence in the starters, and that motivation makes successful drives a strong incentive.

The claim that the Niners weren't trying is bogus, they wouldn't be going for it on 4th down if that wasn't the case. They were seriously trying to succeed, and win. And that leads me to believe that the playcalls were earnest, Raye doing his "best" if you will.

Makes me sad. He's not fit for his job.

Alex has been going to 2nd, 3rd options quite bit during preseason which is why Morgan has been nonexistent all preseason.

He's been taking what the defense has given him and plus its preseason. Crabtree, Vernon, and Gore haven't played at all until Frank's 1st quarter against the raiders.

Plus Raye has never been considered a great offensive coordinator so I don't know why his predicatable offense is such a surprise.
Oh jeebus. In case you wet- the- bed- crowd forgot, we play this same F*cking team in the regular season, of course the play calling is vanilla, every time you meet a regular season opponent in the preseason you never show your hand.

Now I won't claim that I'm not a bit worried about Raye, I certainly am, with good reason, but to look at his play calling and judge it when he has to play the same team later on when it counts is absolutely ABSURD. More classy, well thought out posts on NT!
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
the offense Raye ran against the Raiders was....

because we play them later in the year.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheAcpHater:
Oh jeebus. In case you wet- the- bed- crowd forgot, we play this same F*cking team in the regular season, of course the play calling is vanilla, every time you meet a regular season opponent in the preseason you never show your hand.

Now I won't claim that I'm not a bit worried about Raye, I certainly am, with good reason, but to look at his play calling and judge it when he has to play the same team later on when it counts is absolutely ABSURD. More classy, well thought out posts on NT!

Except vanilla now is the same as the vanilla we'll get in mid-September.

Also how ironic is your appeal for "class" in a post filled with four letter words?
  • Mex49
Originally posted by Youngone:
You guys are crazy if you think that the coaches will show off their full playbook to a team that we play in Week 6. Why would we give them that kind of film to study? Think about that before you assume the vanilla argument is not appropriate.

I thought the play book was like 800 pages. Doubt we could use the whole book and give up all our secrets. Stop repeating sound bites you haven't actually thought about.

We had a 2-1 a 3-1 and 4-1.

Jimmy Raye 49er Playbook:

Page 1, paragraph 1, sentence 1: Run ball up middle.
Share 49ersWebzone