Defense:
1) I agree with other posters that our Line and Linebackers are DEEP. RJF, Briggs, and LaBoy are all good news stories.
2) I'm not 100% concerned about the secondary since the 2nd string is the main concern. The safeties were making mental errors more than physical. Hopefully Mays will work his way onto the field. he can hang with track studs like the raiders pack. We've seen fairly solid play from the corners. I also think that we are built to run a scheme not play man on man. We are not going to show our coverages in preseason.
Special Teams:
1) We can count on Lee, nice to see Nedney get through the injury bug.
2) Williams and Adams seem promising at PR.
3) Also I think Coach Shottenheimer deserves some credit. The guys seem to be doing much better in our kick and punt return block and coverage schemes.
3) I'm looking forward to Ginn on KR duty.
Offense: The offense has not been spectacular. BUT
1) Alex Smith has gotten it done without his supporting cast. Gore, Davis, and Crabtree will make the smith and the line look much better.
2) Speaking of the line. I'm happy to see that the competition is for back up jobs only and that the back ups all look promising. I think this unit will only get better as the rookies get used to everything.
3) I am also pleased to see how deep we are at skill positions.
a. I think Dixon will be the #2 when it comes to load and Westbrook will hopefully give us some good looks in the passing game/spread.
b. Ziegler and Walker have impressed in every preseason game.
c. Carr at least seems to know his way around the field. Hopefully we will never need him but he at least looks like he has something to prove.
All in all I am happy with how we have been doing so far. I'm excited to see the full product in a real game. Honestly we SHOULD win the west. THe question is can we do anything after that point? The answer is a maybe and that is better than things have looked in years.
There are 420 users in the forums
Three games down, one to go, and what do we see?
Aug 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM
- VA49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,863
Aug 30, 2010 at 10:43 AM
- kidash98
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 26,660
Originally posted by VA49er:
Defense:
1) I agree with other posters that our Line and Linebackers are DEEP. RJF, Briggs, and LaBoy are all good news stories.
2) I'm not 100% concerned about the secondary since the 2nd string is the main concern. The safeties were making mental errors more than physical. Hopefully Mays will work his way onto the field. he can hang with track studs like the raiders pack. We've seen fairly solid play from the corners. I also think that we are built to run a scheme not play man on man. We are not going to show our coverages in preseason.
Special Teams:
1) We can count on Lee, nice to see Nedney get through the injury bug.
2) Williams and Adams seem promising at PR.
3) Also I think Coach Shottenheimer deserves some credit. The guys seem to be doing much better in our kick and punt return block and coverage schemes.
3) I'm looking forward to Ginn on KR duty.
Offense: The offense has not been spectacular. BUT
1) Alex Smith has gotten it done without his supporting cast. Gore, Davis, and Crabtree will make the smith and the line look much better.
2) Speaking of the line. I'm happy to see that the competition is for back up jobs only and that the back ups all look promising. I think this unit will only get better as the rookies get used to everything.
3) I am also pleased to see how deep we are at skill positions.
a. I think Dixon will be the #2 when it comes to load and Westbrook will hopefully give us some good looks in the passing game/spread.
b. Ziegler and Walker have impressed in every preseason game.
c. Carr at least seems to know his way around the field. Hopefully we will never need him but he at least looks like he has something to prove.
All in all I am happy with how we have been doing so far. I'm excited to see the full product in a real game. Honestly we SHOULD win the west. THe question is can we do anything after that point? The answer is a maybe and that is better than things have looked in years.
Nice breakdown...
- 98