LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Three games down, one to go, and what do we see?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Go49erss:
Spencer is our best corner.

this
NFC West Team W L T Pct PF PA Net Pts TD Home Road Div Pct Conf Pct Non-Conf Streak Last 5
San Francisco 49ers 3 0 0 1.000 80 51 29 8 1-0 2-0 0-0 .000 1-0 1.000 2-0 3W 3-0
St. Louis Rams 2 1 0 .667 62 80 -18 6 0-1 2-0 0-0 .000 0-1 .000 2-0 2W 2-1
Arizona Cardinals 2 1 0 .667 43 49 -6 6 1-0 1-1 0-0 .000 1-0 1.000 1-1 1W 2-1
Seattle Seahawks 1 2 0 .333 57 69 -12 6 1-1 0-1 0-0 .000 0-2 .000 1-0 2L 1-2

The biggest thing to me is...We're 3-0 and we PLAYED GREAT in those 3 games without several of our key starters and we have room for improvement.

Haven't seen this kind of play in years. Very good to see and it's proof we should be in for a very exciting '10 season.
See/saw?

Secondary was pathetic in THIS game. I don't expect they'll play that horrible when we actually start scheming in the regular season.

All our mid/late rd. draft picks will be on the roster or ps (or another team).

Even though we didn't play well and horrible at times, we still managed to stay stay within reach to win (given it was back-ups/pre-sea).

Raye still snoozes off up in the booth...

We haven't showed much, yet... very VANILLA .

Ziggy spelled J. Hill's destiny... it would be nice if we could keep both, but good-bye Jason.

They didn't have Seymour, but we didn't have VD, Crabby, and Gore didn't even play a full qtr. We would've slaughtered them early/often if we had our complete package out there for the whole game.

Raiders were playing that game like it was a regular season; the way Elway/Boomer would play us because we kicked their asses in the superbowls. We didn't even play our best, but still won. I'm not too worried about our team based off this one game (not even our secondary).

This team has improved every season/will keep improving under Sing.
QB's - Alex is solid and Carr plus Davis equals serviceable backups

RB's - Gore looks good and Dixon has been a revelation. If Westbrook can stay healthy, the Niners are set at RB. Last spots will be taken up by Norris (questionable), Miller and MRob (Special teams mostly)

WR's - Once Crabs get back on the field, solid 1-5 with him, Morgan, Ginn, Ziegler and K. Williams. Sorry, Jason Hill. You just ain't cutting it.

O-Line - Top two draftees are looking like they belong and injuries haven't hurt the Niners. Good depth across the board and much better than a year ago.

D-Line - With Franklin back and Balmer gone, this group looks set. RJF been an iron man and Khalif Mitchell takes over Balmer's spot.

LB's - Willis leads the strongest unit by example. Can't wait to see Brooks back on the field as a pass rusher. Bowman looking like P-Willy light which bodes well for the future.

Secondary - Biggest concern on the team. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before Reggie Smith replaces Michael Lewis because of his cover skills. Adams has played his way onto the team both as a CB and a PR. Another great find by Baalke.

Special Teams - Nedney looks a little shaky but Lee looks good. Return game looks much better.

Bring on the regular season.................
The secondary will rebound. Sometimes it is good to get your ass kicked.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
The secondary will rebound. Sometimes it is good to get your ass kicked.
Indeed!
I think our coaching staffs overrating Tarrell Brown.. He's good 3rd string CB, but he can't man up to another receiver like Spencer can..
I love Nate Clements, but I think he needs to take a pay cut next offseason, hes definitely lost a step, but I love how physical he is and thats a big part of why hes still going to be on this team next year, because of his physicality

We also overrated Dixon after his 1st game, hes been less impressive in these last 2 games, but hes still a rookie.
Hopefully what we WILL see is a San Francisco team FINALLY beating a San Diego team this year (*cough*Giants!*cough*).

those san diego super-chokers ALWAYS seem to spoil the 49ers' perfect 4-0 preseason attempts, so hopefully 3 quarters of Nate Davis ends that.
[ Edited by JedYork on Aug 29, 2010 at 11:18 AM ]
I want to see our starting db's get some turnovers
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by skynet907:
D. Walker is embarrassing to watch.

He had a flat game, it happens to everyone. If that becomes a habit, I'll agree that there's reason to be concerned, but for the time being I see no reason for concern.

He is overvalued by the team imo. I always hear about what a mismatch he is, I just don't see it. I watched every minute of every game last season. I am still not impressed.

all i know is the secondary is gonna be a pain in the ass and my hype for beating the saints just got lower. if we dont hit brees it can be a 300+ yd passing gm for him, i hope it was just because it was preseason and no scheming. i get highly upset as well with dumb ass mental lapses and broken coverages in the secondary
Originally posted by thojess:
The play-calling has been pretty lame. First play of the game, full back dive? Sure you surprised them, enjoy those 1.5 yards. 3rd and 9 and we have multiple guys running 4 yard routes? But Smith is over coming these things at this point, and without our 2 top receiving threats. Also, too many fb dives in general, that play is averaging like .5 yards. If we're going to waste a down, why not take a deep shot with it?

The secondary... Lets just say we are going to struggle with teams that are built for speed at the WR position. Our secondary was built to counter the big physical receivers like Fitz and Boldin, and will continue to be solid against those types of guys. When we are playing teams with speed guys out there though, we are gonna have to score some points on offense. Hopefully someone on our coaching staff realizes this and doesn't come out with totally conservative game plans against these teams. We cannot allow this team to get down by 3 scores at halftime like happened too often last year.

I think the reason for the FB dives are more for evaluation and learning than actual game strategy. Raye and Sing are wanting to see the O-line get a push and use leverage. It helps later in the film room when they watch themselves, there's not much clutter and it's easy to see what's happening.
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:
I think our coaching staffs overrating Tarrell Brown.. He's good 3rd string CB, but he can't man up to another receiver like Spencer can..
I love Nate Clements, but I think he needs to take a pay cut next offseason, hes definitely lost a step, but I love how physical he is and thats a big part of why hes still going to be on this team next year, because of his physicality

We also overrated Dixon after his 1st game, hes been less impressive in these last 2 games, but hes still a rookie.

actually watch the highilight of the murphy TD, Clements was staying with Heyward-Bey pretty well.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
all i know is the secondary is gonna be a pain in the ass and my hype for beating the saints just got lower. if we dont hit brees it can be a 300+ yd passing gm for him, i hope it was just because it was preseason and no scheming. i get highly upset as well with dumb ass mental lapses and broken coverages in the secondary

I hear that.

Homerism plays a part of my rationalizing sometimes, but less this year than previous years. We're improving and I really do hope that the coaches have improved as much as our talent. Especially in a big game against coaches like Sean Payton.

"my hype for beating the saints just got lower" same hear, but I hope we get shocked!
Originally posted by kidash:
So now that three games are down, what do you guys think are some of the tweaks we need to see in order for our team to succeed? Yes, we know we are playing vanilla offense/defense but certain things stand out, IMO.

1) Secondary still is a concern.

We see a dramatic drop off after our first unit step off from the field. The way the Raiders marched up against out secondary was telling. I am not going to say that it's nothing since this is only preseason, it's something that has been a problem for us for a while now... I hope I'm wrong in my assessment, but I am scared to see what happens if major injuries happen to our starters..

2) I am not sold on Carr.

Given, the guy is a backup but he did not show me much more than N. Davis. We were able to move the ball on the ground but nothing that stood out on the air...

3) ?????? (and more?)

The upside...

Our LB core is solid and I really think we are going to keep LaBoy and Briggs, they bring new weapons to our solid line. The solid play of the both of them will make it hard to release one or the other and with M. Lawson (methink) playing his last year with us, will be someone we will count on for the future...

Jean Francois has played superb and will be another good addition to our line.

The PR/KR seems like a problem of the past if Adams and Williams can produce.

What else????

#1 and 2 are spot on. Carr is what he's always been.
Share 49ersWebzone