LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Three games down, one to go, and what do we see?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by gaz1:
our playcallin still looks predictable at times

I'm going to assume that this is due to these games being a preseason games. Wait 'till a few regular games passes to even worry about it.

Originally posted by 49erFanInTX83:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Alex Smith has proven he is the QB. Now or never for him

Gore is still a beast, Westbrook looked good but already has a hamstring. Dixon is a great 3rd string RB to have, but i still think he needs to hit the holes quicker, but there's no question he can break and juke and defender

Norris has gotten his job handed to him. Way too slow and lost his feel for the game

O-line is young still, and there will be some struggles early on, but i think we hit the draft on the nose with Davis and Iupati. Hopefully Baas steps up and Boone can make the team

We finally have good receiver's. Lots of hate on morgan but he is a solid 2 and we have our deep threat in ginn. Z and kyle williams have tremendous upside and have already shown they've got skills. It's actually awesome that a receiver as skilled as Jason Hill might not make the team

Franklin hopefully comes as strong as he was last year, but if there was any doubt, RJF was just as incredible. Our Dline does not create enough pressure, but no team can run over us.

Haralson is going to start, but I seriously think all 3 backup OLB's are more talented than him (Brooks Briggs Laboy). I'm one of those who like Lawson because of his versatility, but we need a rusher on the opposite side of him and I hope laboy starts. We know what we have in Willis and Spikes. Bowman is built just like Willis it's incredible. If he can be half the player that Willis is we are set for the future

I'm worried about our secondary. I love that Goldson is a playmaker but he is AWFUL in coverage and michael lewis is slow as hell. our corner's arent good enough to stop a great passing game and I feel like this now has become the weakest spot on the whole TEAM.

We might finally have kick and punt returners in Ginn, Adams and Williams. I'm not worried anymore about our return game. Am i the only one thats worried about nedney now, though? I hope his injury isn't hurting him

that said

GO 49ERS

We are going to give Brees/Rodgers quite the field day with sorry CB play like we have been showing (those are the games that have me the most worried). Unless the pass rush gets into a mad frenzy and tears through the respective offensive lines of the Saints/Packers, then we are f'd in the a.

we have yet to see what most of our qb pressure game looks like...hopefully we will see a different look from our secondary with some pressure on the passer
Originally posted by kidash:

I'm going to assume that this is due to these games being a preseason games. Wait 'till a few regular games passes to even worry about it.

Same problem last year too, we'll see
The play-calling has been pretty lame. First play of the game, full back dive? Sure you surprised them, enjoy those 1.5 yards. 3rd and 9 and we have multiple guys running 4 yard routes? But Smith is over coming these things at this point, and without our 2 top receiving threats. Also, too many fb dives in general, that play is averaging like .5 yards. If we're going to waste a down, why not take a deep shot with it?

The secondary... Lets just say we are going to struggle with teams that are built for speed at the WR position. Our secondary was built to counter the big physical receivers like Fitz and Boldin, and will continue to be solid against those types of guys. When we are playing teams with speed guys out there though, we are gonna have to score some points on offense. Hopefully someone on our coaching staff realizes this and doesn't come out with totally conservative game plans against these teams. We cannot allow this team to get down by 3 scores at halftime like happened too often last year.
im done ive seen everything i wanted to see

alex become a clear starter

clear PR winner going into season (kyle williams and adams)

anthony davis (exceded my expectations really came along as both a pass blocker and run blocker)

mike iupati ( see above)
Originally posted by skynet907:
D. Walker is embarrassing to watch.

He had an outstanding game against the Vikes, but he did have some bonehead plays yesterday. With the coming return of Crabtree & Vernon he'll fade into the background as the 4th or 5th option.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Alex Smith has proven he is the QB. Now or never for him

Gore is still a beast, Westbrook looked good but already has a hamstring. Dixon is a great 3rd string RB to have, but i still think he needs to hit the holes quicker, but there's no question he can break and juke and defender

Norris has gotten his job handed to him. Way too slow and lost his feel for the game

O-line is young still, and there will be some struggles early on, but i think we hit the draft on the nose with Davis and Iupati. Hopefully Baas steps up and Boone can make the team

We finally have good receiver's. Lots of hate on morgan but he is a solid 2 and we have our deep threat in ginn. Z and kyle williams have tremendous upside and have already shown they've got skills. It's actually awesome that a receiver as skilled as Jason Hill might not make the team

Franklin hopefully comes as strong as he was last year, but if there was any doubt, RJF was just as incredible. Our Dline does not create enough pressure, but no team can run over us.

Haralson is going to start, but I seriously think all 3 backup OLB's are more talented than him (Brooks Briggs Laboy). I'm one of those who like Lawson because of his versatility, but we need a rusher on the opposite side of him and I hope laboy starts. We know what we have in Willis and Spikes. Bowman is built just like Willis it's incredible. If he can be half the player that Willis is we are set for the future

I'm worried about our secondary. I love that Goldson is a playmaker but he is AWFUL in coverage and michael lewis is slow as hell. our corner's arent good enough to stop a great passing game and I feel like this now has become the weakest spot on the whole TEAM.

We might finally have kick and punt returners in Ginn, Adams and Williams. I'm not worried anymore about our return game. Am i the only one thats worried about nedney now, though? I hope his injury isn't hurting him

that said

GO 49ERS

I actually think that if Adams and Williams continue to hustle, Ginn will be an afterthought in the return game... Punt or kickoff...

Agree, good things to see from the 49ers

Im hoping thats part of the reason for the poor defensive play. We dont want to show them anything, didnt seem like we blitzed as much.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
D. Walker is embarrassing to watch.

He had an outstanding game against the Vikes, but he did have some bonehead plays yesterday. With the coming return of Crabtree & Vernon he'll fade into the background as the 4th or 5th option.

He's not a very good pass catcher, but then again, who besides Crabtree is on this team? He is fast for a TE, and I thought he looked pretty explosive on that play that Morgan nearly negated. Everybody on this offense is going to have a couple bone head false start type things this season, hopefully he got that out of his system now when it doesn't count.
jimmy raye still sucks

Dominique Zeigler > Jason Hill.

Zeigler is legit. its good to see after years of being switched back and forth between the active roster and the practice squad he's finally gonna get his chance. Im excited about Zeigler
Paymah is embarrassing to watch.

fixed
Originally posted by eric90clark:

Zeigler is legit. its good to see after years of being switched back and forth between the active roster and the practice squad he's finally gonna get his chance. Im excited about Zeigler

He won't have great stats, but he should be a solid contributor.
I think we really need to draft a DB in the first round as long as we don't have any major holes to fill. Our secondary has always been a weakness. I think it's time that we slowly start pushing out the older players. Lewis is pretty much done. He is just holding down the spot till Mays is ready. Hopefully, Adams continues to exceed everyones expectations and turns out to be a steal. So far as a 7th round pick, IMO he already has me thinking that he was a steal.

RJF has done well enough to make me think that we will be fine if Franklin leaves. I would like to find a way to receive compensation(other than a comp pick...maybe a tag and trade) if we don't pay him. 3-4 NT are in high demand and I'd rather not just let him walk.

I love our front seven on defense overall. Of course, there are some areas that we need to improve but overall...I'm happy. Only thing that worries me is Haralson. I don't believe that he should start let alone make the team. I'd rather keep Laboy and Briggs on the active roster and cut him. He is too much of a liability and his poor play cost us a few victories last year.

I know it's preseason but Smith looks like he will continue to improve to the point that the front office will move forward with him. He has all the weapons he needs to succeed. His play proves an already known theory on why he hasn't played up to his draft status. Lack of continuity and previous lack of talent severely hurt him. If he doesn't take us to the postseason then we need to look at picking someone else up. I don't believe we will miss the playoffs though.

As for our offense, I'm satisfied overall. Dixon is proving to be a solid backup to Westbrook and gore. Our receiving core has significantly improved over the past few years and I think the O-line speaks for itself.
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
Originally posted by eric90clark:

He won't have great stats, but he should be a solid contributor.

I agree. and thats all you can ask for. I also think Adams > Brown at this point... thats just my humble opinion We'll see what the future has in store...
Share 49ersWebzone