There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Your impressions from game 3

Originally posted by prometheus:
Very astute observations. Too bad dumb dumber and probably dead can't improve the coaching problems. They can't recognize their incompetence while b***hing about the players. It comes across as self serving dummies blaming others for their booboos. This is a multiyear problem never acknowledged by Numbnuts. Why bother trying to keep plays secret when the plays are obvious to anyone or anything?
Frankly Singletary needs his ass fired as his ego is bigger then his abilities. He is way over his head as a head coach. He is a linebacker coach max. Is it so hard to get plays out on time? Are the plays called a 500 page essay called by a stutterer with a hangover? It is not as if the brilliant plays could not be called by one word. All the brilliant plays called could described by two words run, or pass.

all I remember is carr burning all three timeouts early because he was afraid to throw the ball.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by fastforward:
D-Line has looked mediocre. Especially against the Oakland offensive line.

Maybe the 49ers really need Franklin to be in there, playing to his 2009 form.

Not maybe, definitely.

They clogged the lanes and ate up enough blockers to allow our linebackers to do their jobs, resulting in decent pressure on the QBs (Gradkowski made some good plays after being pressured) and only 53 rushing yards on 19 carries, which is only about 2.8 yards per carry.

They did their jobs and Ricky Jean Francois looked good in Franklin's absence.
Originally posted by 49erFanInTX83:
No offense to any of your points OP, but...

we played the Raiders...(of course we looked pretty good, too bad the score was as close as it was)

I can't believe the Raiders kept us more on our toes than the "mighty" Vikings...

They are looking at different players and seeing which ones they have to keep. If they can win the game in preseason then gravy.

Our starting o-line is starting to work together and I'm not so sure I need Heitman to come back.

Smith looks much improved, Gore is amazing and just when the other team thinks they have him figured Westbrook can come in and slice em or Dixon can come in and smash em/ I'm sure VD and Crabs will be at least as good as they were last year. I'm excited about our offense, I really am.

Our front seven is pretty solid without AB so when he gets back in it will be even better. Parys has to step it up. I cannot see him remaining in the starting lineup if he does not. Not with LaBoy playing like he has been.

Our secondary is the big ? this year. Spencer seems to be kind of a china doll which is unfortunate. He is our best corner and is a huge reason why AZ/s WR's never look that impressive when they play us. How many think Mr. Adams may find himself a lot of playing time this season?

LaBoy is looking like a great pickup and our 2010 draft class is making Baalke look like a freaking genius. (Raise your hand if you miss McCloughan.)
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
No offense to any of your points OP, but...

we played the Raiders...(of course we looked pretty good, too bad the score was as close as it was)

I can't believe the Raiders kept us more on our toes than the "mighty" Vikings...

Keyword: Preseason

Ya, but both teams had to have parts of their secondary in there at all times, right? I think the Vikings were holding out on us (I don't recall if Harvin was out that game, plus Allen probably wasn't playing).

He played and staley stonewalled him
disappointed, last years game was more memorable

The raiders o line beat up the niners D line. If the raiders had a WR who could catch some of their stalled drives would not have stalled. The niners came out flat last night.

Laboy is playing well and showing that he is one of the better olbs on the team.

Westbrook still has some left in the tank. He looked quick out there.
[ Edited by fister30 on Aug 29, 2010 at 2:31 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
No Crabs, VD, limited Gore what do you expect?
Originally posted by prometheus:
Very astute observations. Too bad dumb dumber and probably dead can't improve the coaching problems. They can't recognize their incompetence while b***hing about the players. It comes across as self serving dummies blaming others for their booboos. This is a multiyear problem never acknowledged by Numbnuts. Why bother trying to keep plays secret when the plays are obvious to anyone or anything?
Frankly Singletary needs his ass fired as his ego is bigger then his abilities. He is way over his head as a head coach. He is a linebacker coach max. Is it so hard to get plays out on time? Are the plays called a 500 page essay called by a stutterer with a hangover? It is not as if the brilliant plays could not be called by one word. All the brilliant plays called could described by two words run, or pass.

Once again, the 49ers had trouble with the play clock. Singletary said it was moving too fast in the first half, and the officials made adjustments in the second. Alex Smith called it a "quick clock" and said there was routinely less than 20 seconds when the 49ers broke the huddle. "I think it hurt us," he said. "It really broke our rhythm." Still, Smith and the 49ers were able to overcome the play clock and two penalties on a 10-play, 60-yard touchdown drive at the end of the second quarter. There were 18 penalties in the game - 10 against the 49ers.

I think that had alittle to do with it.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/08/staley-westbroo.html
I liked Willis , LaBoy , Ziggy , and glad to see Morgan get involved. The linebackers in general were good except for screens again. The defensive backs had a very sloppy game. I didn't like seeing our time outs being pissed away , are we learning because it looked very familiar. Adams continues to make me smile oer a 7th rd gem , while Carr scares the crap out of me.

It's pre-season It's pre-season I know.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Aug 29, 2010 at 8:08 AM ]
  • Veteran
I didn't see last night's game. I know Laboy had another sack but how did he look against the run? I'm just trying to judge if he will be used in passing situations only or will he get on the field all the time.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
D-Line has looked mediocre. Especially against the Oakland offensive line.

after the first drive they were getting plenty of pressure on Campbell. They actually knocked him outta the game.

i dont think singletary is in the business of trying to injure the other teams qb's in meaningless preseason games. the dline is always everyones main concern in preseason and there is a reason for that.

I dunno. They were mediocre. And yeah, I mean obviously the one play was good (not in the fact that Campbell was injured, that sucks big time -- but that LaBoy got to the QB).

The LBs were good. Willis, LaBoy, Lawson, and Spikes. Willis had three TFLs and a sack. Lawson had a stop in the backfield on McFadden IIRC. Obviously you saw LaBeast crush Campbell. It's just the DLine didn't do a whole lot. Then again in the 3-4 their job is to allow the LBs to make plays so I dunno. I mainly thought our secondary looked horrible.

Going into the second half the Raiders averaged LESS THAN 2 Yards a Carry. You dont have poor defensive line play and those kind of stats. We didn't pressure the QB much because we didn't show any blitz schemes. It's that simple.
Is there any doubt we need Lawson on this team? The guy just shuts down his side of the field on a regular basis. I honestly dont think he would be that easy to replace as we are seeing on the other side of the field. I dont know what he is asking, but he at least deserves double what Haralson and Brooks are making. I'm pretty sure Nate and AB wont be here next year so we shouldn't have any problems with the cap.

I've never seen Alex Smith look this in control. Of course, I've never seen him have this much time in the pocket. I can't wait to see how he plays with his weapons in the line up.

Dixon isn't ready. He looks great against 3rd stringers, but against first team Ds his dance in the backfield is a liability. I finally understand why the coaches told him he needs to run big and hit the whole. He is always trying to tip toe through the line. He needs to just hit it, otherwise he is waisting his size.

Frank "The Tank" Gore, need I say more? 1700 yards in 10/11 if healthy.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Aug 29, 2010 at 9:07 AM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Is there any doubt we need Lawson on this team? The guy just shuts down his side of the field on a regular basis. I honestly dont think he would be that easy to replace as we are seeing on the other side of the field. I dont know what he is asking, but he at least deserves double what Haralson and Brooks are making. I'm pretty sure Nate and AB wont be here next year so we shouldn't have any problems with the cap.

I've never seen Alex Smith look this in control. Of course, I've never seen him have this much time in the pocket. I can't wait to see how he plays with his weapons in the line up.

Dixon isn't ready. He looks great against 3rd stringers, but against first team Ds his dance in the backfield is a liability. I finally understand why the coaches told him he needs to run big and hit the whole. He is always trying to tip toe through the line. He needs to just hit it, otherwise he is waisting his size.

to the average fan he is only an ok player but some of see what he does on the field
the wasting of time outs was a little dissapointing, as was the secondary performance. Smith did well again, Carr not so much. Dixon did well, but not against the starters. He needs to get more patient for the hole to open up. Westbrook and Gore looked like they are read to go!
Considering the offense was missing our main weapons, I felt Smith and offense played better than I expected and was productive, especially with clock management. I believe they owned TOP in the 2nd quarter. And btw, Delanie Walker is a luxurious threat for a backup TE.

I am not concerned at all with the defense. Pre-season comes with no game-planning and once Manusky and this defense is focused on a game plan. They can frustrate QB's such as Peyton Manning last season where they had to go to a trick play to get a score. But I can't lie, M. Lewis is starting to concern me.