There are 77 users in the forums

Your impressions from game 3

I don't see one for just like general impressions so I made one now.

Here's mine:

good:
Alex Smith: He was finding guys, puting the ball where his recievers could get it, unfortunately we had a few drops, but he was really good. If it weren't for penalties and drops he would've been like 13/15 and 150 yards, because Byham had 2 drops and Walker had a drop and another player dropped a pass too. Walker might've had the other drop I'm not sure. And then Morgan took away some yards on that illegal block in the back on Delanie's long pass. But he did a good job of not taking sacks and keeping plays alive, like on Morgan's TD he was running and then he threw that TD on the run IIRC. He looks way better than ever before.

Gore: He looked great running behind our new OLine, if he consistently gets those holes I think he could repeat that 2006 season. Maybe 1500 yards and 10-12 TDs. Awesome.

Westbrook: He only had 1 or 2 plays but he looked pretty explosive on that 1 run. He looks like a nice compliment to Gore and Dixon.

Dixon: He pretty much carried us to that last touchdown. I love the way he runs tough.

Zeigler: He did a good job getting open and holding on to the ball. He made one really nice catch on IIRC a 3rd down where he went up and got the ball. I think he should get some playing time this year, he really is a good target with his height/leaping ability and he has some speed to go with great route running.

Morgan: He had his first 3 catches of the preseason. He had the TD and he held onto the ball when it was thrown to him. Everyone dogs this guy on being slow at times but I think he is hella underrated on here. He's strong and has good hands and can jump well. He can go get the ball and hold onto it.

Phillip Adams: This guy was sick. He looks good in coverage and he looked good returning too. That punt he brought back for a TD was amazing. This guy can get the ball and go. He just looks like a really good athlete and also has instincts for playing the game. He seems like he never gets burned when he's playing D and he might be an exciting option to help our return game. I wonder if he took Kyle Williams's job tonight.

Travis LaBoy: LaBoy looks way faster/more explosive than Haralson ever has and he took Campbell out of the game after owning their LT. I think he should start over Parys opposite Manny. Manny plays the run really well and LaBoy looks like a good pass rusher. I'm excited to see how he fits in our legit 3-4 D.

1st string Oline: They opened up some big holes when Gore was in the game. They also did a decent job in pass protection, actually for the most part a good job in pass protection. If they keep opening these holes for our three headed RB attack in the regular season, watch out. If they keep improving at pass protection, watch out. We could really take advantage of play action with these beasts up front, Smith's improved play, and Gore in the backfield.

The so-so/alright:

Delanie Walker: He had 1 or 2 passes he should've held on to but he also had that huge catch that he would've had like 50 yards on and Morgan threw the illegal block in the back. It'd be nice if he made some of those tough catches but he has some nice yards after catch ability and you can see why he's on the field. He creates some match up problems on the field.

Ginn: I can't really remember him doing much in this game other than the PI on Asomugha on the 4th down. But on the bright side I don't think he had any huge mess ups either so I'll just put him here.

The bad:

Our secondary as a whole: These guys were pretty much burnt toast out there. We had a few blown coverages that led to Murphy's TD(he might've had 2 TDs I'm not sure), and Mike Lewis got absolutely owned and drug into the end zone by Zach Miller. Nate didn't really stand out at all. Reggie Smith didn't look nearly as good as last few games vs Indy and MN. This was somewhat troubling IMO.

Nedney: He missed that one FG that wasn't that far out and I'm worried since he hasn't kicked very much in the offseason. I think that calcified mass in his leg might be more of a problem than they've let on and if we don't have a dependable kicker that could hurt. He's getting old and health problem in his kicking leg, ehh...

David Carr: I almost put him in the mediocre section because he had that sick dive over Ricky Brown and into the other defensive player, plus he made the 2 point conversion, but yikes aside from that he was terrible. If Smith gets hurt we're screwed. He ran around way too much and just threw the ball away on too many plays, he doesn't really make things happen down field, and he's not very accurate. Ugh. Between his problems and Nate's dyslexia we really need to keep Alex in one piece.

Our play calling: I thought at times it was really bad. Between having to burn time outs multiple times because the play clock was going too fast, and the stretch where Raye called 6/7 run plays it got bad at times. There were times when we just kept running up the middle vs 8 man box and they knew we were going to run. Ugh.

feel free to make your own lists or whatever guys.
In general I feel like P Haralson is not having a very impressive preseason. I think he's going to lose his starting job to LaBoy.
I lol'd when Jurovich ran to the sideline and knocked down the bench while McFadden was still sitting on it LOL, it just looked hella funny.
I don't know who is at fault but I can't believe they are still burning timeouts due to the play clock running low and getting delay of game penalties.
Very astute observations. Too bad dumb dumber and probably dead can't improve the coaching problems. They can't recognize their incompetence while b***hing about the players. It comes across as self serving dummies blaming others for their booboos. This is a multiyear problem never acknowledged by Numbnuts. Why bother trying to keep plays secret when the plays are obvious to anyone or anything?
Frankly Singletary needs his ass fired as his ego is bigger then his abilities. He is way over his head as a head coach. He is a linebacker coach max. Is it so hard to get plays out on time? Are the plays called a 500 page essay called by a stutterer with a hangover? It is not as if the brilliant plays could not be called by one word. All the brilliant plays called could described by two words run, or pass.
D-Line has looked mediocre. Especially against the Oakland offensive line.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Maybe the 49ers really need Franklin to be in there, playing to his 2009 form.
Originally posted by fastforward:

Maybe the 49ers really need Franklin to be in there, playing to his 2009 form.

Not maybe, definitely.

after the first drive they were getting plenty of pressure on Campbell. They actually knocked him outta the game.

i dont think singletary is in the business of trying to injure the other teams qb's in meaningless preseason games. the dline is always everyones main concern in preseason and there is a reason for that.
Originally posted by WestCoast:

after the first drive they were getting plenty of pressure on Campbell. They actually knocked him outta the game.

i dont think singletary is in the business of trying to injure the other teams qb's in meaningless preseason games. the dline is always everyones main concern in preseason and there is a reason for that.

I dunno. They were mediocre. And yeah, I mean obviously the one play was good (not in the fact that Campbell was injured, that sucks big time -- but that LaBoy got to the QB).

I dunno. They were mediocre. And yeah, I mean obviously the one play was good (not in the fact that Campbell was injured, that sucks big time -- but that LaBoy got to the QB).

The LBs were good. Willis, LaBoy, Lawson, and Spikes. Willis had three TFLs and a sack. Lawson had a stop in the backfield on McFadden IIRC. Obviously you saw LaBeast crush Campbell. It's just the DLine didn't do a whole lot. Then again in the 3-4 their job is to allow the LBs to make plays so I dunno. I mainly thought our secondary looked horrible.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

The LBs were good. Willis, LaBoy, Lawson, and Spikes. Willis had three TFLs and a sack. Lawson had a stop in the backfield on McFadden IIRC. Obviously you saw LaBeast crush Campbell. It's just the DLine didn't do a whole lot. Then again in the 3-4 their job is to allow the LBs to make plays so I dunno. I mainly thought our secondary looked horrible.

All bolded -- exactly what I felt like. I can see how they create plays for the LBs, but I still think they weren't penetrating well and kind of got stood up. Except 94, he's a monster. No complaints about the LBs at all. They looked sharp... except Haralson, who could find himself on the bench halfway through the season if LaBoy continues to beast. My only qualm was with the D-Line. And yea, our secondary looked like it was playing prevent the whole. Yikes. I'm confident with our best CB back (Spencer) we will play much better. I was imagining us playing like this vs. the Saints... oh my god. Torched.
No offense to any of your points OP, but...

we played the Raiders...(of course we looked pretty good, too bad the score was as close as it was)

I can't believe the Raiders kept us more on our toes than the "mighty" Vikings...
Originally posted by 49erFanInTX83:

we played the Raiders...(of course we looked pretty good, too bad the score was as close as it was)

I can't believe the Raiders kept us more on our toes than the "mighty" Vikings...

Keyword: Preseason
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by 49erFanInTX83:

Keyword: Preseason

Ya, but both teams had to have parts of their secondary in there at all times, right? I think the Vikings were holding out on us (I don't recall if Harvin was out that game, plus Allen probably wasn't playing).
Share 49erswebzone