LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 303 users in the forums

Grade Alex Smith's performance in game 3 @ Oakland...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Alex Smith's performance in game 3 @ Oakland...

Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by skynet907:
if only the votes were public, so that we know who to scrutinize.

If it were public then the guys that voted F would be exposed for the troll raider fans they are.

it's obviously fly

Can he account for 3%? I mean it is obvious he is one of the ACP.

Hey memphis, how are the titans doing??

wtf does that mean

If it were public then the guys that voted F would be exposed for the troll raider fans they are.

it's obviously fly

How the hell should I know? I have hated the Titans since they were the Oilers.
  • dj43
The most encouraging thing about Smith in game #3 was his determination. After a couple of failed drives, he took the team down the field with some nice throws in key situations, along with a couple of audibles that worked, and scored a TD. That showed us a much more confident leader, and someone that can be counted on to never give up - just keep working until the job is done. That is quite different than the guy we have seen in the past.

Numbers are important but only if they are "productive" numbers, meaning they put the team into the win column as a result of them. In this case, Smith brought his team back to take the lead. (he "won" his part of the game) That is what a quality QB should do, and Alex did it.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Allix iz da suxxxxxorx?!!! Brink in da davizzzz!! Fyre deem!

Umm. What?

it's obviously fly

hate them..lol, is it because of the local fans..

how can you hate the Oilers? Earl Campbell, Warren Moon, Ernest Givins and a non-flashy Helmet logo...lol

but at the same time, they were the ones who really started the end of Steve Young's career....I believe he got one of his first serious concussions late in his career against the Oilers.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by TheAcpHater:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by BHulman:
I thought he played way better last week. All his passes this week were short dinks and dunks, some were off target, and the ones that were dropped wouldn't have moved the chains anyways. Last week he played pretty well IMO. THis week was pretty average. Gradkowski played way better than Smith tonight.

That TD pass was a dink and dunk?

Yeah, that was nice. I'm just going off of gut feel. I thought last week he played good, against a much better defense. His yards per completion seemed low tonight, but I haven't seen the stats yet. Smith's yards per completion have always been low though.

His numbers were actually pretty good: 9/15 for 113 yards. YPC: 12.5, YPA: 7.53.

As comparisons:

Rodgers: 21/29 195 yd. YPC: 9.28. YPA: 6.72.
Flacco: 21/34 229 yd. YPC: 10.9. YPA: 6.73.

ok, I retract my comments, those are good figures. Somehow my gut says he played better last week though. Maybe it was his pocket presence, I can't put my finger on it.

Translation:

" I can't come up with any logical reasons on why Smith sucked today, I just have an axe to grind attitude with him so I'll make up excuses like dink and dunk passes to make it look like he did suck."

For all this talk of "Alexcuses", the excuses come from the Smith haters a whole lot more.

Susweel, Fly15, are you there? Or still crying that Smith has outclassed the rest of our quarterbacks thus far?

excuse me, but at least I can express an unbiased opinion and correct myself to Smith's benefit, as opposed to the 95% here who swing blindly from Smith's nuts.

You're free to express any opinion you want, as long as you aren't committing a double standard, which is what you are doing right now. You cry foul when the Smith supporters make so called "excuses" when he doesn't play well, and now you are CERTAINLY making excuses when he did play well. You were hooting and hollering about Smith sucking after the Indy game, citing his passer rating and "waiting" for the smith excuses to come. Now, he has played well 2 weeks in a row and YOU are the one making excuses.

Once you stop the double standard, I'll be happy to accept your opinion. Until then, I'll call the double standard out as I see fit.

Curious to see if Shaj has a response to this, even he has to admit he is committing a huge double standard here with his spin.

Let's hope he doesn't bail like a true sad sack, time to own up to the hypocrisy, I got faith in ya Shaj.

I woudl bet if you took out the D. Walker pass with huge YAC, it would be dink and dunk stats, which was my perception.

Either way, I thought he played a good game. I have some critiques, but it was good. My perception was he played an even better game last week.

You should be glad I can compliment Smith instead of calling it hypocrisy, which is ludicrous.

I woudl bet if you took out the D. Walker pass with huge YAC, it would be dink and dunk stats, which was my perception.

Ohh boy, is this another "excuse" or what. You're giving me a riot of laughs with this one. Smith made a great throw to Walker hitting him in stride, so whether that play padded his stats or not, it was a great play by Smith and guess what? IT COUNTS. Just another excuse from Shaj, continuing his hypocrisy with making excuses, after he gets mad at Smith supoorters making "alexcuses".

Either way, I thought he played a good game. I have some critiques, but it was good. My perception was he played an even better game last week.

So now you are backtracking. You said earlier in this thread that he played an "average" game, only to get facts thrown your way that claims otherwise, and you change your opinion. Just more outstanding work from the Smith haters.

You should be glad I can compliment Smith instead of calling it hypocrisy, which is ludicrous

Oh spare me. I just pointed out your hypocrisy in my previous post. Instead of responding to it or owning up, you dodged the accusation and backtracked on what you said earlier. Just own up to your hypocrisy which I pointed out on my previous post, or continue to make a clown of yourself. Choice is yours my friend, I'm pulling for you to do the right thing here, believe it or not.
I voted F!!!

He should have thrown for 300 yards with 3 td's to have gotten at least a B.

He sucks!
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
I voted F!!!

He sucks!

He didn't even throw a TD pass to himself. F, for SURE! What a terrible QB!
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
I voted F!!!

He sucks!

He didn't even throw a TD pass to himself. F, for SURE! What a terrible QB!

i know right.. he didnt he even block for himself while throwing the ball to himself in attempt to catch it himself while eating a hotdog.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by thojess:
I thought he looked sharp. Passes were crisp and on the mark. One thing though, why do we seem to drop more balls than any team in the league? I swear this team has more balls hit hands and go incomplete than any team I watch. Maybe its my imagination, but lots of catchable balls are falling incomplete.

It's not your imagination. We drop a lot.

How the f**k does Jerry Sullivan still have a job? He's created ZERO good receivers in his tenure. ZERO. Crabtree is just good because he's an amazing talent. Sullivan sucks!

Hmmmm someone here has been pounding that drum with a sledge hammer. Now who was that?

Oh that's right, I remember now. It was me. I hope Sullivan is gone at the end of the year just like the other flotsam that have moved on.

When I see poor performance for years from a unit, I say something. Our TEs' have been reasonably solid. Our QBs' not so much, and our Backs have been pretty solid for what we have as well.

Our two main culprits though have been OLine and WRs'. Which I have pointed out year in and year out. Warhopp and Foerster just could not get it done. For whatever reason. Personally you got a guy like Kwame Harris that gets penalized as much then you do something about it. You get the Line together and you run snap drills til their backs are sore. You get the DLine and LBs' to work with them to get the point where they aren't second guessing the protection. Warhopp was a huge failure imho, because Harris used to always second guess the protections by coming off the ball early and the holding issues were Line related not just on Harris. He got called for everybody though. He musta drilled some Refs daughter in the pooper cause the Refs hated him.

Then Foerster was brought in and it was equally bad. Same things were happening. And NEITHER of those guys could see that players were not playing to their strengths. This was proven last season by the move of Sims to LT and his subsequent domination of the LT slot. And the only reason Sims moved over was due to Stales being injured. Staley doesn't go down then Sims would have been gone at the end of the season.

Sullivan however has only one Receiver to his resume(since he came here) that he can say "See, did my job". That Receiver is Battle. Battle a guy who many wanted to see gone 3 years ago. But he was like a Roach after the apocalypse. Still alive and kickin after every Camp. Hell only reason he;s not on this team right now, is cause his contract was up. But he had that one year where he didn't drop ONE ball. I don't believe that Sullivan had a damn thing to do with that. I think that it had to do with chemistry between Battle and Smith(I think it was Smith) and nothing Sullivan did would have made as big an impact. Sullivan has been riding the coat tails of what his Receivers have done in Arizona for far too long. I wish we could get Stewie back as our Receivers coach. He KNOWS what is expected of a Receiver having worked with Rice, Taylor and Owens and the rest of the Receivers over that time. Sully is a boob and I wish that he would take his act on down the road.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Aug 29, 2010 at 5:14 PM ]

• dj43
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by thojess:
I thought he looked sharp. Passes were crisp and on the mark. One thing though, why do we seem to drop more balls than any team in the league? I swear this team has more balls hit hands and go incomplete than any team I watch. Maybe its my imagination, but lots of catchable balls are falling incomplete.

It's not your imagination. We drop a lot.

How the f**k does Jerry Sullivan still have a job? He's created ZERO good receivers in his tenure. ZERO. Crabtree is just good because he's an amazing talent. Sullivan sucks!

Hmmmm someone here has been pounding that drum with a sledge hammer. Now who was that?

Oh that's right, I remember now. It was me. I hope Sullivan is gone at the end of the year just like the other flotsam that have moved on.

When I see poor performance for years from a unit, I say something. Our TEs' have been reasonably solid. Our QBs' not so much, and our Backs have been pretty solid for what we have as well.

Our two main culprits though have been OLine and WRs'. Which I have pointed out year in and year out. Warhopp and Foerster just could not get it done. For whatever reason. Personally you got a guy like Kwame Harris that gets penalized as much then you do something about it. You get the Line together and you run snap drills til their backs are sore. You get the DLine and LBs' to work with them to get the point where they aren't second guessing the protection. Warhopp was a huge failure imho, because Harris used to always second guess the protections by coming off the ball early and the holding issues were Line related not just on Harris. He got called for everybody though. He musta drilled some Refs daughter in the pooper cause the Refs hated him.

Then Foerster was brought in and it was equally bad. Same things were happening. And NEITHER of those guys could see that players were not playing to their strengths. This was proven last season by the move of Sims to LT and his subsequent domination of the LT slot. And the only reason Sims moved over was due to Stales being injured. Staley doesn't go down then Sims would have been gone at the end of the season.

Sullivan however has only one Receiver to his resume(since he came here) that he can say "See, did my job". That Receiver is Battle. Battle a guy who many wanted to see gone 3 years ago. But he was like a Roach after the apocalypse. Still alive and kickin after every Camp. Hell only reason he;s not on this team right now, is cause his contract was up. But he had that one year where he didn't drop ONE ball. I don't believe that Sullivan had a damn thing to do with that. I think that it had to do with chemistry between Battle and Smith(I think it was Smith) and nothing Sullivan did would have made as big an impact. Sullivan has been riding the coat tails of what his Receivers have done in Arizona for far too long. I wish we could get Stewie back as our Receivers coach. He KNOWS what is expected of a Receiver having worked with Rice, Taylor and Owens and the rest of the Receivers over that time. Sully is a boob and I wish that he would take his act on down the road.

~Ceadder
I have been leaning more and more toward "Sullivan must go."

I am a big believer in position coaches as being critical in the NFL. In this case, as you point out, the 49ers have not developed a single NFL starting grade receiver in the last five years. Jason Hill is the latest example of a guy who was very productive in college, despite a very mediocre QB, yet has done nothing with the 49ers. I just don't believe the guy has nothing to bring.

Right now the 49ers have a top-five talent in Crabtree and may have caught a break with Morgan although he is better as a blocking WR than a pass catcher, IMO. Other than that, all we have to show for five years of effort is Ziegler, and I would consider him a threat to move into a solid starting role on any good passing team in the league.

Of course all this has a lot to do with Jimmy Raye and all of that discussion, still, if the 49ers want a solid downfield threat, they are going to have to look at the way they are coaching receivers if they want a different result than what we have seen.

Just my opinion...
I give it an A considering that he was without his big 3 most of the game. I also like the way we responded on 3rd and longs. When is the last time we were even bad at 3rd and long?
  • joe58
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by mayo63:
After looking at Carr, Smith looks like God.

Fixed.
I think this is wtf is realy going on, Alex Smith did pretty damn good compared to what his norm is, so that being said... lol ppl on the Zone (any ppl everywhere)are wayyy to scared to give in to the fact that he had a good game, we are still afraid that is just a lucky game against a team (Raiders that we all know sucks) and he will fall back into his normal play, but if you put everything into account that has went on in the last few years things are different now (same OC, Surrounded by ppl that actually think he can get the ball to them now, and not get scared of getting hit by every focking player on the oposing defenses) it seems like he is very Comfortable in the pocket, he is seeing things he has never seen before, You don't have to throw a 45-60 yard pass ever time your offence takes the field to be a good offense/QB, just manage the game keep the other teams offense off the field and SCORE some type of points wether it be 3 or 7 (I like 7 more ). When you can do that i believe any team in the NLF has a chance to win it all, from what i have seen last three game he has been doing that exact thing (without his top players on offense). So as long as he can keep doing the things he is doing either it be little dump passes for 4-6 yards or throw the ball out of bounds on a 2nd and 6, i think we will do pretty damn good this year. Pretty damn good is alot better then we have been the last 7 - 8 years.
So lets wish him the best (for this years sake) and cheer the man on, if he does what he has been doing in preseason i think our defense will help him and we will at least get to the NCF championship game.

Sorry about the spelling and grammar i'm half drunk watching the 49er / Raider game for the 5th time, maybe I'm just exited about this year and if i am, fock it i deserve to be after watching wtf been going on the last 10 years. I think we all do.

GO NINERS!!!!!
[ Edited by 49erAllTheWay on Aug 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:

it's obviously fly

hate them..lol, is it because of the local fans..

how can you hate the Oilers? Earl Campbell, Warren Moon, Ernest Givins and a non-flashy Helmet logo...lol

but at the same time, they were the ones who really started the end of Steve Young's career....I believe he got one of his first serious concussions late in his career against the Oilers.

I hate the team colors, Vince Young, CJ2k (and have since college), the Oilers colors also sucked, their logo sucked, they have had a couple of great players and I like their current coach, but f**k those clown shoes. That and the Steve Young hits that cut short his career, f**k 'em all.
Share 49ersWebzone