LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 155 users in the forums

Grade Alex Smith's performance in game 3 @ Oakland...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Alex Smith's performance in game 3 @ Oakland...

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TheAcpHater:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by BHulman:
I thought he played way better last week. All his passes this week were short dinks and dunks, some were off target, and the ones that were dropped wouldn't have moved the chains anyways. Last week he played pretty well IMO. THis week was pretty average. Gradkowski played way better than Smith tonight.

That TD pass was a dink and dunk?

Yeah, that was nice. I'm just going off of gut feel. I thought last week he played good, against a much better defense. His yards per completion seemed low tonight, but I haven't seen the stats yet. Smith's yards per completion have always been low though.

His numbers were actually pretty good: 9/15 for 113 yards. YPC: 12.5, YPA: 7.53.

As comparisons:

Rodgers: 21/29 195 yd. YPC: 9.28. YPA: 6.72.
Flacco: 21/34 229 yd. YPC: 10.9. YPA: 6.73.

ok, I retract my comments, those are good figures. Somehow my gut says he played better last week though. Maybe it was his pocket presence, I can't put my finger on it.

Translation:

" I can't come up with any logical reasons on why Smith sucked today, I just have an axe to grind attitude with him so I'll make up excuses like dink and dunk passes to make it look like he did suck."

For all this talk of "Alexcuses", the excuses come from the Smith haters a whole lot more.

Susweel, Fly15, are you there? Or still crying that Smith has outclassed the rest of our quarterbacks thus far?

excuse me, but at least I can express an unbiased opinion and correct myself to Smith's benefit, as opposed to the 95% here who swing blindly from Smith's nuts.

You're free to express any opinion you want, as long as you aren't committing a double standard, which is what you are doing right now. You cry foul when the Smith supporters make so called "excuses" when he doesn't play well, and now you are CERTAINLY making excuses when he did play well. You were hooting and hollering about Smith sucking after the Indy game, citing his passer rating and "waiting" for the smith excuses to come. Now, he has played well 2 weeks in a row and YOU are the one making excuses.

Once you stop the double standard, I'll be happy to accept your opinion. Until then, I'll call the double standard out as I see fit.

Curious to see if Shaj has a response to this, even he has to admit he is committing a huge double standard here with his spin.

Let's hope he doesn't bail like a true sad sack, time to own up to the hypocrisy, I got faith in ya Shaj.

I woudl bet if you took out the D. Walker pass with huge YAC, it would be dink and dunk stats, which was my perception.

Either way, I thought he played a good game. I have some critiques, but it was good. My perception was he played an even better game last week.

You should be glad I can compliment Smith instead of calling it hypocrisy, which is ludicrous.

And Eddie D would be right there with you guys, giving Smith chances in year 6, right? Sorry, he would have dropped Smith like a hot potato in year 3 or 4, either down the depth chart or off the team.

Expecting greatness does not equal bias. Sorry.

Objection! Speculation.

Your bias is obvious. Why not just embrace your role as an Alex pessimist instead of fighting against it. At least you're not frothing at the mouth like fly.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by thojess:

And Eddie D would be right there with you guys, giving Smith chances in year 6, right? Sorry, he would have dropped Smith like a hot potato in year 3 or 4, either down the depth chart or off the team.

Objection! Speculation.

Your bias is obvious. Why not just embrace your role as an Alex pessimist instead of fighting against it. At least you're not frothing at the mouth like fly.

I have a negative perception of what he has done to date during the regular season, and I'm hopeful for the future. I don't see how anyone can see it any other way.
getting better and that's all i can ask for... but NOT satisfied until i feel he has the ability to put teams away.. so far, he's not there. once he is there, i think the niners will be a top notch team.
Progression is the name of the game...and he keeps doing it.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by keeferr75:
getting better and that's all i can ask for... but NOT satisfied until i feel he has the ability to put teams away.. so far, he's not there. once he is there, i think the niners will be a top notch team.

fair assessment. Putting away the Rams and the Lions at the end of the season isn't enough. He needs to be more consistent and be able to continue to improve. Seems to me his pocket awareness and his reads have improved. I'm not sure about his accuracy. Also, Jimmy Raye needs to grow a pair as it pertains to cutting Alex loose and stop being so predictable with the run.
[ Edited by Shaj on Aug 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM ]
A - No Davis and Crabtree two weeks in a row and Alex is still effective.

Co-signed.

fair assessment. Putting away the Rams and the Lions at the end of the season isn't enough. He needs to be more consistent and be able to continue to improve. Seems to me his pocket awareness and his reads have improved. I'm not sure about his accuracy.

Our guys dropped a lot of passes last night. I'm assuming once Crabs, VD, and Williams get back and into the mix things will change. To me he just looks comfortable which will let him take care of business for once. I still think we wont be clicking 100% till week 4ish but once it happens....we have the ability to be nasty.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
I thought he played way better last week. All his passes this week were short dinks and dunks, some were off target, and the ones that were dropped wouldn't have moved the chains anyways. Last week he played pretty well IMO. THis week was pretty average. Gradkowski played way better than Smith tonight.

Yeah, that was nice. I'm just going off of gut feel. I thought last week he played good, against a much better defense. His yards per completion seemed low tonight, but I haven't seen the stats yet. Smith's yards per completion have always been low though.

His numbers were actually pretty good: 9/15 for 113 yards. YPC: 12.5, YPA: 7.53.

As comparisons:

ok, I retract my comments, those are good figures. Somehow my gut says he played better last week though. Maybe it was his pocket presence, I can't put my finger on it.

Translation:

" I can't come up with any logical reasons on why Smith sucked today, I just have an axe to grind attitude with him so I'll make up excuses like dink and dunk passes to make it look like he did suck."

For all this talk of "Alexcuses", the excuses come from the Smith haters a whole lot more.

Susweel, Fly15, are you there? Or still crying that Smith has outclassed the rest of our quarterbacks thus far?

excuse me, but at least I can express an unbiased opinion and correct myself to Smith's benefit, as opposed to the 95% here who swing blindly from Smith's nuts.

you might be the most biased person in here when it comes to smith.

Certainly not the most, but right up at the top.

So you know Eddie and discussed Alex with him. This is good to know. Please give us more of his insights.
[ Edited by cheapthrills on Aug 29, 2010 at 10:45 AM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jreff22:

fair assessment. Putting away the Rams and the Lions at the end of the season isn't enough. He needs to be more consistent and be able to continue to improve. Seems to me his pocket awareness and his reads have improved. I'm not sure about his accuracy.

Our guys dropped a lot of passes last night. I'm assuming once Crabs, VD, and Williams get back and into the mix things will change. To me he just looks comfortable which will let him take care of business for once. I still think we wont be clicking 100% till week 4ish but once it happens....we have the ability to be nasty.

Agreed, but it seemed every time they dropped a pass, the commentators said "it wouldn't have been a first down anyways", so I'm not sure how much of an issue that was in the overall scheme of things. I'm assuming they said that because those were third down throws, but I don't remember.

As comparisons:

Translation:

You're free to express any opinion you want, as long as you aren't committing a double standard, which is what you are doing right now. You cry foul when the Smith supporters make so called "excuses" when he doesn't play well, and now you are CERTAINLY making excuses when he did play well. You were hooting and hollering about Smith sucking after the Indy game, citing his passer rating and "waiting" for the smith excuses to come. Now, he has played well 2 weeks in a row and YOU are the one making excuses.

Once you stop the double standard, I'll be happy to accept your opinion. Until then, I'll call the double standard out as I see fit.

Curious to see if Shaj has a response to this, even he has to admit he is committing a huge double standard here with his spin.

Let's hope he doesn't bail like a true sad sack, time to own up to the hypocrisy, I got faith in ya Shaj.

I woudl bet if you took out the D. Walker pass with huge YAC, it would be dink and dunk stats, which was my perception.

Either way, I thought he played a good game. I have some critiques, but it was good. My perception was he played an even better game last week.

You should be glad I can compliment Smith instead of calling it hypocrisy, which is ludicrous.

Yes. We should be glad. Thank you so much.
Originally posted by cheapthrills:
Originally posted by WestCoast:

As comparisons:

Translation:

you might be the most biased person in here when it comes to smith.

Certainly not the most, but right up at the top.

So you know Eddie and discussed Alex with him. This is good to know. Please give us more of his insights.

Hopefully, Eddie would have deferred to Walsh.
[ Edited by BHulman on Aug 29, 2010 at 10:55 AM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:

Agreed, but it seemed every time they dropped a pass, the commentators said "it wouldn't have been a first down anyways", so I'm not sure how much of an issue that was in the overall scheme of things. I'm assuming they said that because those were third down throws, but I don't remember.

Well it depends if they were able to run a little after the catch. I did see a few (like 2-3) passes that weren't great but if that's all he's missing on I can live with it. Its amazing how well the O line is doing right now...with a few more quality depth guys and a solid replacement for Heitman we will have a top 5 group.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by skynet907:
if only the votes were public, so that we know who to scrutinize.

If it were public then the guys that voted F would be exposed for the troll raider fans they are.

it's obviously fly

I'll let you know by the end of the day, or after 11 ct.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by skynet907:
if only the votes were public, so that we know who to scrutinize.

If it were public then the guys that voted F would be exposed for the troll raider fans they are.

it's obviously fly

Can he account for 3%? I mean it is obvious he is one of the ACP.

Hey memphis, how are the titans doing??
Share 49ersWebzone