-
NCommand
- Hall of Fame
-
- Posts: 123,365
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Personally, I'd want Brooks and LaBoy to start with Haralson and Briggs coming in off the bench on RANDOM plays. The point is that the pass rush should be coming on every down from all four of the LB's at any time mixed in with pressure from the d-line, safeties and CB's.
We run a VERY vanilla base 3-4 that way in that Manusky brings in our "pass rushers" on 3rd downs in predictable situations telegraphing to the offense what we are going to do. This is the equivalent of a Jimmy Raye 1st down call.
So really, I want all four OLB's in there at unpredictable times, some rushing, some dropping back in zone coverage, both rushing, etc.
Manusky has some weapons...he just needs to use them now and have a short leash for Lawson/Haralson if they continue to fail on first and second downs.
Didn't we at times move Lawson to TED with Brooks and Haralson in at Will and Sam?
Yeah, back when we ran that hybrid garbage (Willis/Lawson). Manusky was getting better at (b/c most positions on the defense are interchangeable), switching back and forth the WILL and SAM. So I did see some movement that way. I'm not sure I remember a case where Lawson was moved to TED (Spikes position). He did move Brooks to both OLB positions though but mostly for Lawson's spot on third downs. I think Brook's emergence gave Manusky a little more confidence to be creative in his schemes.
We could have a very legit pass rush (and run stoppers) this year if Manusky works all these guys in frequently, IMHO.
-
Joecool
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 70,984
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Personally, I'd want Brooks and LaBoy to start with Haralson and Briggs coming in off the bench on RANDOM plays. The point is that the pass rush should be coming on every down from all four of the LB's at any time mixed in with pressure from the d-line, safeties and CB's.
We run a VERY vanilla base 3-4 that way in that Manusky brings in our "pass rushers" on 3rd downs in predictable situations telegraphing to the offense what we are going to do. This is the equivalent of a Jimmy Raye 1st down call.
So really, I want all four OLB's in there at unpredictable times, some rushing, some dropping back in zone coverage, both rushing, etc.
Manusky has some weapons...he just needs to use them now and have a short leash for Lawson/Haralson if they continue to fail on first and second downs.
Didn't we at times move Lawson to TED with Brooks and Haralson in at Will and Sam?
Yeah, back when we ran that hybrid garbage (Willis/Lawson). Manusky was getting better at (b/c most positions on the defense are interchangeable), switching back and forth the WILL and SAM. So I did see some movement that way. I'm not sure I remember a case where Lawson was moved to TED (Spikes position). He did move Brooks to both OLB positions though but mostly for Lawson's spot on third downs. I think Brook's emergence gave Manusky a little more confidence to be creative in his schemes.
We could have a very legit pass rush (and run stoppers) this year if Manusky works all these guys in frequently, IMHO.
Manusky has really shined in SD and here. It seems as though he understands the value of the 2nd pressure coming at the QB. It's all nice and pretty to have that primary pressure, but the hits come when the other guys are aware of where the QB is being flushed to.
-
NCommand
- Hall of Fame
-
- Posts: 123,365
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Personally, I'd want Brooks and LaBoy to start with Haralson and Briggs coming in off the bench on RANDOM plays. The point is that the pass rush should be coming on every down from all four of the LB's at any time mixed in with pressure from the d-line, safeties and CB's.
We run a VERY vanilla base 3-4 that way in that Manusky brings in our "pass rushers" on 3rd downs in predictable situations telegraphing to the offense what we are going to do. This is the equivalent of a Jimmy Raye 1st down call.
So really, I want all four OLB's in there at unpredictable times, some rushing, some dropping back in zone coverage, both rushing, etc.
Manusky has some weapons...he just needs to use them now and have a short leash for Lawson/Haralson if they continue to fail on first and second downs.
Didn't we at times move Lawson to TED with Brooks and Haralson in at Will and Sam?
Yeah, back when we ran that hybrid garbage (Willis/Lawson). Manusky was getting better at (b/c most positions on the defense are interchangeable), switching back and forth the WILL and SAM. So I did see some movement that way. I'm not sure I remember a case where Lawson was moved to TED (Spikes position). He did move Brooks to both OLB positions though but mostly for Lawson's spot on third downs. I think Brook's emergence gave Manusky a little more confidence to be creative in his schemes.
We could have a very legit pass rush (and run stoppers) this year if Manusky works all these guys in frequently, IMHO.
Manusky has really shined in SD and here. It seems as though he understands the value of the 2nd pressure coming at the QB. It's all nice and pretty to have that primary pressure, but the hits come when the other guys are aware of where the QB is being flushed to.
I agree. Every year Manusky has grown. I think with the "known" weapon he has this year in Brooks, LaBoy, even Briggs, Smith (maybe Mays), he has plenty of ammo in his gun and can really get creative this year (ala the Jets last year). I can't wait...
-
WildBill
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 6,217
Originally posted by Joecool:
I was about to start a thread on pass rushers but will just include it in this one.
Don't you all think it is much better to have 4 guys who get around 5-8 sacks over one guy how gets 15?
If we have that one guy, offenses know exactly where the pressure will most likely come from. However, if almost every rusher is equally likely to get to the QB, the offense has more trouble trying to fill the leaks to the point where the help blocker will be spread thin.
On a tangent: why is defense spelled with one "eff" and offense spelled with two "effs"?
Look in the dictionary, it is of fense and de fense in pronounciation.
-
btthepunk
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 23,344
Brooks, Lawson, Willis, and Mays.
I really want to see Willis rush the passer more. I know he's our best tackler but it seems everytime he rushes, he gets a sack. That still leaves 3 on the line and 4 in coverage. I'd really like to see Mays blitzing as well. With all that speed and agression of those 4 coming at you someone is getting hurt.
-
AKfanster
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 2,827
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Why would you leave Manny out?
FAIL
Maybe because Lawson comes out on most passing downs.....?? Brooks took over that role halfway through last season. Haralson and Brooks are the better pass rushers. If Laboy can return to form, he'll be a better option also.
-
gold49er2183
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 6,437
I can't vote without a Manny Lawson option.
-
RonMexico
- Moderator
-
- Posts: 80,122
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Why would you leave Manny out?
FAIL
because he is talking about pass rushers
-
Kolohe
- Hall of Fame
-
- Posts: 67,113
On passing downs, IMO, I would have something like this:
...........McDonald...Smith....Tukuafu.............
.....Brooks.......Lawson.........Willis.......Laboy
That's of course Tukuafu makes the team, but IMO, hes shown good pressure, a lot more than Evans has.
-
BigDaddy
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 1,266
Originally posted by NCommand:
Personally, I'd want Brooks and LaBoy to start with Haralson and Briggs coming in off the bench on RANDOM plays. The point is that the pass rush should be coming on every down from all four of the LB's at any time mixed in with pressure from the d-line, safeties and CB's.
We run a VERY vanilla base 3-4 that way in that Manusky brings in our "pass rushers" on 3rd downs in predictable situations telegraphing to the offense what we are going to do. This is the equivalent of a Jimmy Raye 1st down call.
So really, I want all four OLB's in there at unpredictable times, some rushing, some dropping back in zone coverage, both rushing, etc.
Manusky has some weapons...he just needs to use them now and have a short leash for Lawson/Haralson if they continue to fail on first and second downs.
There was an article here somewhere, where Willis said the d will be blitzing a lot more and at random times this year. I hope that is the case. I do love the fact we seem to have a lot more options at pass rusher also. Briggs and LaBoy showed a bunch of promise and with Brooks returning, look out. We may be stacked at that position. Finally!
-
BigDaddy
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 1,266
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Why would you leave Manny out?
FAIL
because he is talking about pass rushers
-
seeking6th
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 605
Of the choices, Brooks/Harralson.
-
backontop
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 14,346
anyone who will create massive pressure on the QB
-
tohara3
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 30,854
Originally posted by NCommand:
Personally, I'd want Brooks and LaBoy to start with Haralson and Briggs coming in off the bench on RANDOM plays. The point is that the pass rush should be coming on every down from all four of the LB's at any time mixed in with pressure from the d-line, safeties and CB's.
We run a VERY vanilla base 3-4 that way in that Manusky brings in our "pass rushers" on 3rd downs in predictable situations telegraphing to the offense what we are going to do. This is the equivalent of a Jimmy Raye 1st down call.
So really, I want all four OLB's in there at unpredictable times, some rushing, some dropping back in zone coverage, both rushing, etc.
Manusky has some weapons...he just needs to use them now and have a short leash for Lawson/Haralson if they continue to fail on first and second downs.
Agree with this
-
PacTiger
- Member
-
- Posts: 30,146
On known passing downs I would like to see Brooks, Briggs and Laboy rotating in any order off the edge and inside I want McDonald and Smith in a four down lineman front.