There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Grade Alex Smith's performance in Game 2 vs Minnesota...

Grade Alex Smith's performance in Game 2 vs Minnesota...

Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
B+ sounds fair.

Collinsworth praised Smith for the rollout to the right and throw away, while that usually makes the webzone's blood boil.

If there's one thing Singletary preaches to his players, it's "Take care of the football!"

and to take a collinsworth praise with a grain of salt. we all know his saltiness comes from swallowing brett favres potential children.
B+

Did a great job of stepping up in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. 3rd down conversions were money. Didn't have Crabtree or Davis (or Gore) but he didn't let that hold him back today...which I liked. Also mentioned that in the post game presser.

Didn't really have any bad throws, to be honest. One pass to Ginn was a bit high...probably catchable though. Looked a lot better in the offense as he checked down when he needed to a few times. I don't think the stalled drivers were totally his fault (I'm not a Smith homer, trust me) either.

Him and DWalker seem to be building some chemistry as well. He also seems to have a lot of trust in Ziegler, which is why I feel we'll see him more as the season progresses (with less Ginn or less Morgan).

Step in the right direction...what I liked most: no crazy passes into traffic that require our WR/TE to make a remarkable play (ie the pass to DWalker last week @ Indy).
B+

It was a very solid game. Honestly if Alex can play like that all season we can win 11 or 12 games this season.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Aug 23, 2010 at 1:54 AM ]
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Aug 23, 2010 at 1:55 AM ]
solid B
A- - Great pocket presence.
- Managed the game very well without his top talent
- Smart with the football, threw it away instead of forcing bad throws
- Just one bad throw over Ted Ginn. Crabby could've caught it but then gotten laid out by that nearby DB.
- Considering the run game was shut down, he did a great job throwing the rock.

What more could you ask of the guy?
Considering that he was going against a pretty solid defense with a good defensive line and not having his three main weapons (Gore, Davis, Crabtree), I'd give him a A. Plud, he was able to convert on three 3rd downs and didn't just put up a field goal, but led the team to a TD.
Originally posted by TheNef77:
- Just one bad throw over Ted Ginn. Crabby could've caught it but then gotten laid out by that nearby DB.

We've seen enough out of Smith to know exactly what his shortcomings are, which is to say that no one should be surprised when:

1. he scrambled right when he felt pressure and then threw it out of bounds...there may not be a more conservative QB in the league when it comes to broken plays
  2. barely missed a big completion because he threw high again

He is what he is, and if you can accept that, then last night was a good game for him.
The guy was without his top 3 offensive players and still had a good day. What more can you ask of him?
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by TheNef77:

We've seen enough out of Smith to know exactly what his shortcomings are, which is to say that no one should be surprised when:

1. he scrambled right when he felt pressure and then threw it out of bounds...there may not be a more conservative QB in the league when it comes to broken plays
  2. barely missed a big completion because he threw high again

He is what he is, and if you can accept that, then last night was a good game for him.

So A+?
I say C... Good first drive.. The rest of the game, same ole Alex. Besides we need our players on the field. Both QB suffered from dropped balls( especially Nate). All and all add Gore to the back feild and some reliable hands we will be OK. And I guess I'm kinda tired of waiting for Alex to play like a legit QB consistantly, so I'm kind of pulling for a true QB competion... Maybe next year... We should have went after a QB this off season.. Nate is a much better passer he actually gives his recievers a chance but I also see quirks in his game also. But the arm is undeniable
Solid B. Overall Alex looked good. He had time to throw most of the time and he commited no turnovers. He used the pocket and stepped up an threw the ball. He's not holding the ball as much. If its not there he's getting rid of it.

I think his confidence has carried over from last year. I can't wait to see him play a whole game with all the starters in the game.
Wonder if he stepped it up because of the "all eyes on Davis" scenario. I'd give him a B overall.
Definitely a B, B+, cuz theres always room for improvement.

But im takin this game just like i did, when i watched the GB Seattle game. A commentator said a good [url=null]null[/url] QB and offense wont stall on their first drive of the game if at home. And Rodgers continued to get them first downs on his arm, until they scored on the opening drive. If he didnt play again after that, it would of been acceptable.

So on that basis, not a comparison, so lets not go there. Just giving him props to driving us all the way down the field on the opening drive, and got us in the endzone.
If he can do this with no weapons, how can anyone think he'll do worst when everyone is back.

Good Game, and cant wait to see next weeks. I just hope EVERYONE that can play, will play.