LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Grade Alex Smith's performance in Game 2 vs Minnesota...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Alex Smith's performance in Game 2 vs Minnesota...

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by 49erFan:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Smith did FINE. But don't start posting that he was "missing that player" or "missing this guy." That's called an Alexcuse.

Fair enough, let's simplify it, so anybody can understand.

The team was missing Gore, Davis, and Crabtree.

but WHY were we missing Davis and Crabtree? what happened to them? Do you remember why they got injured and how?

Oh man here it comes

I'm just saying same with any QB, even Nate....if you are going to put ur receivers in situations where they are going to get injured more times than not...then I don't give you the benefit of the doubt when you have to play with the backups....

so he better get used to playing with the backups if he continues those high inaccurate passes during the season.....F' that "if the receiver touches it, IT SHOULD BE CAUGHT" F that BS.

While I agree QB's shouldn't be leaving their WR's high and dry,the GOAT himself once said-if I can get my hands on it then I need to catch it,period
  • dj43
Smith looked comfortable and was on target right away. Lack of a running game became an issue later.

But that's Alex for you. One week he looks good next week he looks bad. Now if we could only get some consistency with him.

I give him a C+. If he would have thrown a TD or a real nice deep throw maybe I'd give him a B.
A huge difference in this game compared to the Indy game was that in this game, Anthony Davis was able to block the DE by himself much of the time, OR he got help. Hence, Smith had plenty of time to go through his progressions and even step up to throw. The result was that he was on target.

In the Indy game, according to the coaching reports, Singletary/Raye INTENTIONALLY left Davis 1-on-1 against Robert Mathis to see what he could do against one of the very best pass rushers in the game - Davis got owned and Smith very little time. The coaches wanted to evaluate where Davis was both for their own sake and for Davis'. Smith, unfortunately, did not have the time and did not look as good.

So while we all want consistency from Smith, or whoever the QB happens to be, they must have time. Last week, almost by design, Smith did not have the time he had yesterday.

As to your rating system that must include a TD, I'll just leave it that he converted on all 3 3rd downs in the key drive and is what a QB is supposed to do. The fact Davis made a nice move and had good speed to get around the corner to deny Smith a chance to throw a TD pass should not lower his grade, IMO.
Originally posted by dj43:
Smith looked comfortable and was on target right away. Lack of a running game became an issue later.

But that's Alex for you. One week he looks good next week he looks bad. Now if we could only get some consistency with him.

I give him a C+. If he would have thrown a TD or a real nice deep throw maybe I'd give him a B.
A huge difference in this game compared to the Indy game was that in this game, Anthony Davis was able to block the DE by himself much of the time, OR he got help. Hence, Smith had plenty of time to go through his progressions and even step up to throw. The result was that he was on target.

In the Indy game, according to the coaching reports, Singletary/Raye INTENTIONALLY left Davis 1-on-1 against Robert Mathis to see what he could do against one of the very best pass rushers in the game - Davis got owned and Smith very little time. The coaches wanted to evaluate where Davis was both for their own sake and for Davis'. Smith, unfortunately, did not have the time and did not look as good.

So while we all want consistency from Smith, or whoever the QB happens to be, they must have time. Last week, almost by design, Smith did not have the time he had yesterday.

As to your rating system that must include a TD, I'll just leave it that he converted on all 3 3rd downs in the key drive and is what a QB is supposed to do. The fact Davis made a nice move and had good speed to get around the corner to deny Smith a chance to throw a TD pass should not lower his grade, IMO.

And don't forget that Alex actually had room to step up. As bad as we say Rachal played, having that room to step up is a direct result of the G/C combination.

This post is more of a praise for Baas as he didn't allow the front of the pocket to close in on the QB.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Smith did FINE. But don't start posting that he was "missing that player" or "missing this guy." That's called an Alexcuse.

but WHY were we missing Davis and Crabtree? what happened to them? Do you remember why they got injured and how?

Oh man here it comes

I'm just saying same with any QB, even Nate....if you are going to put ur receivers in situations where they are going to get injured more times than not...then I don't give you the benefit of the doubt when you have to play with the backups....

so he better get used to playing with the backups if he continues those high inaccurate passes during the season.....F' that "if the receiver touches it, IT SHOULD BE CAUGHT" F that BS.

Yeah kinda how Alex got his receivers killed last year

Excuse #3419---- 3, 2, 1.....
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

And don't forget that Alex actually had room to step up. As bad as we say Rachal played, having that room to step up is a direct result of the G/C combination.

This post is more of a praise for Baas as he didn't allow the front of the pocket to close in on the QB.
The entire OL did a very good job against the strong Viking front seven.

Last week, Mathis collapsed the entire pocket by himself on a couple of occasions. Also Baas did a better job this week (as we should expect) albeit against the back-up NT/DT.

Still, a good job by the OL that points to what we have all being saying, and what the team addressed by drafting Iupati and A Davis - it all spins on the OL.
Originally posted by fly15:

Oh man here it comes

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
B+

It was a very solid game. Honestly if Alex can play like that all season we can win 11 or 12 games this season.

Damn!! What did you do with SanDiego? My my.
The pass to Delanie Walker was complete bulls**t. IT WASN'T A GOOD PASS!!!!!

if there was a defender in front of him it would've been an easy pick. IM JUST SAYIN GUYS!!!
[ Edited by WestCoast on Aug 23, 2010 at 12:45 PM ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by Chief:
7 points in 7 offensive drives.

Meh..

He looked great on the first drive but after that he fizzled and so did the rest of the offense.

I will give him a B, because he earned an A on the first drive and a D for everything after that.

what an ignorant statement.

very ignorant statement indeed.

lol..

Brain fart there, finger pressed 7 was suppose to press 4... But I still stand by my comment because what I intended to say makes sense to me.

"He looked great on the first drive but after that he fizzled and so did the rest of the offense."

The first drive was great, nice play calling and solid play all around from everyone.

Second drive I think was a 3 and out of all run plays, bad play calling and poor running by Dixon.

Third drive was a little longer but the offensive fizzled with a couple incomplete passes and poor runs. It seems Alex wasn't looking down field for the big play.

Forth drive was 3 and out, I think this was a dropped pass by Ginn and a small dump pass to Dixon when it was 3rd and long. Again, short dump passes when we need some yards. I'm not sure if there was great coverage or what but it didn't work.

I don't think it is ignorant at all to say that the offense fizzled out after the first drive. The offense as a whole was pretty bad, we squeezed out a win because of our defense and the first drive...
Originally posted by fly15:

Oh man here it comes

If you have something to say about Alex Smith, say it. If you have something to say about the forum posters, then it's likely to be considered trolling, which is against the forum rules.

This goes for everyone. Discuss Alex Smith, not "haters" or "lovers" of him. It's gotten pretty intolerable lately, and warnings will be handed out if it doesn't stop.

• dj43
Originally posted by WestCoast:

if there was a defender in front of him it would've been an easy pick. IM JUST SAYIN GUYS!!!

If those passes don't get caught in the National Football League then you can't play.

Not to pick on your comment but when I read something like this it makes me think the writer doesn't watch any other team than the 49ers. If they watched the times that Reggie Wayne or Marques Colston or Larry Fitzgerald or any number of other good receivers routinely makes those kinds of catches on less-than-perfect throws, they would never write comments like that.
Originally posted by WestCoast:

If those passes don't get caught in the National Football League then you can't play.

Not to pick on your comment but when I read something like this it makes me think the writer doesn't watch any other team than the 49ers. If they watched the times that Reggie Wayne or Marques Colston or Larry Fitzgerald or any number of other good receivers routinely makes those kinds of catches on less-than-perfect throws, they would never write comments like that.

dude im just messing around....
Originally posted by 49ermark:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by 49ermark:
I'm a ASmith hater and I have ever reason to be one after all the s**tty seasons we have had with him at the position... However, I think there is an upside to his waiting 5 years to put it in gear. I like his willingness to keep going no matter what his label is. To me my patience is very low for him and I give him 3-4 games to prove me wrong. So far he has done well with what he has but it is preseason and lets not go to far into this and wait till the 3rd or 4th game to make our decision. This is it for the kid if he yields no results than it's bye bye bye...

Yeah, take your time. Your decision is really important.

I give the guy some props and get slammed for it? ...You homers make me sick - I guess I should say something like Smith Played so well lets make him the next Joe Montana or Steve Young...

C'mon man,you got the response you did because you're acting as though you will part of the decision on Alex and he needs to prove you wrong.No,he needs to prove right to the 49ers and not some person on the zone.The fact is the decision will be made by Alex himself based on his performance this season.

Some people purposely forget Smith had some success last season and that is why he's the starter going into this season.

Go Niners
[ Edited by Super5 on Aug 23, 2010 at 12:52 PM ]
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
B+

And who the hell gave him a "D?"

Do we really need to ask?
[ Edited by TDilvr on Aug 23, 2010 at 1:01 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by danimal:
How many TD's did he throw?

I would give Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees all single game C's for solid non TD outings. Alex Smith will be no different. A solid C from me.

That's how you measure good QB play on TD passes eh

lol

Yea dude, thats exactly how I measure QB's. In fact, that is the only measure there is for me. Yep, Favre is definitely the best QB to have ever played this game
Share 49ersWebzone