There are 210 users in the forums

Josh Morgan... A household name by year's end?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Quote:
Josh Morgan, WR, 49ers

So much attention was devoted to TE Vernon Davis and WR Michael Crabtree as they both broke through last season. Morgan could be next. He is coming off another strong offseason of work, and with opponents devoted to stopping the more prominent targets, Morgan could make some big plays as well. He has the ability to stretch defenses and excel in yards per catch.

NFL.com
who's josh morgan?

j/k i dont know about "houesehold name" he's know in my household, but i cant speak for the rest of the american ppl. but i will say this, the new domino pizza is better, had it for lunch today.

if teams try to blanket vernon and crabs to much, i could def see him having a breakout season though
I really like Josh Morgan, but fact is Gore is going to touch the ball half of the plays, while Davis and Crabtree have scripted plays that pass plays are intended for.. Morgan will be lucky to average 3 reception/game with the others.
I've always been hopeful about Morgan, this is his 3rd year right? We'll see what happens...
Let's hope so but I mentioned in another thread I won't be mad if we draft or sign a #2 if he doesn't perform. He's gotten better... had 52 catches and 527 yards and 3 TDs. It's good, especially for a 6th round pick, but I still expect more from him. It's not just him... everyone needs to step up there game. The only one that could be satisfied (even though I know they aren't) would be Gore and Willis. Davis excluded... he dropped 10 balls last year, some of them TDs. Even though he tied the record for TDs in a season by a TE he is capable of more. Also, he better understand that defenses watched tape on him and know his bread and butter play. Don't be surprised if DBs are waiting for that little lob down the middle.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Let's hope so but I mentioned in another thread I won't be mad if we draft or sign a #2 if he doesn't perform. He's gotten better... had 52 catches and 527 yards and 3 TDs. It's good, especially for a 6th round pick, but I still expect more from him. It's not just him... everyone needs to step up there game. The only one that could be satisfied (even though I know they aren't) would be Gore and Willis. Davis excluded... he dropped 10 balls last year, some of them TDs. Even though he tied the record for TDs in a season by a TE he is capable of more. Also, he better understand that defenses watched tape on him and know his bread and butter play. Don't be surprised if DBs are waiting for that little lob down the middle.

I don't think it matters if teams are waiting for it or not. After Smith's first half last season where he threw 3 TD passes, I assume opposing DCs said "look for this". The two did it all season and it wasn't broken up many times. At the end of the day, DBs aren't taking the ball away from Vernon. The only person who can stop Vernon Davis, is Vernon Davis. He needs to get his head in the game and take it to the next level. Had he played better, he could have caught 15+ TDs last season and helped us win that game against the Seahawks. Him and Walker both dropped TD passes in that game, however Walker was interfered with and a penalty should have been called.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

I don't think it matters if teams are waiting for it or not. After Smith's first half last season where he threw 3 TD passes, I assume opposing DCs said "look for this". The two did it all season and it wasn't broken up many times. At the end of the day, DBs aren't taking the ball away from Vernon. The only person who can stop Vernon Davis, is Vernon Davis. He needs to get his head in the game and take it to the next level. Had he played better, he could have caught 15+ TDs last season and helped us win that game against the Seahawks. Him and Walker both dropped TD passes in that game, however Walker was interfered with and a penalty should have been called.

I agree about the latter part (yes that no call was bs) but in the Eagles game there was a DB that was sitting back and jumped the streak down the middle. Can VD out jump/box out a DB... yes but that doesn't mean one can't jump the route. I'm not so sure they don't start putting corners on him but Davis needs to understand to be a team player. If him taking a corner or a double team means not catching a pass but freeing another person up than he needs to embrace that role.
if Morgan can have a breakout year this O will be unstoppable for years to come. I hope we can get him to a contract ext before his value goes up too much.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

Good points, many ppl forget that game and the points left on the field
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Morgan will never be loved by this board. VD will be able to drop TD passes that would have gotten us into the playoffs *cough* Seattle *cough* and nobody will say much but Morgan is not gonna get the love he deserves here by in large.

His game is too much like Battle's was. Possession receiver, downfield blocking etc. Its not flashy but important so it's unlikely he'll be a household name beyond anybody that follows the Niners.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He's ok but nothing special.
Originally posted by susweel:
He's ok but nothing special.

Great farging analysis. Is that how you got to 15,000 posts Mr Veteran? Posts like these?

[ Edited by TitsMcgee on Aug 18, 2010 at 18:06:25 ]
hasn't impressed me one bit.
Morgan? Really? I'm not convinced Willis is a household name across the NFL landscape, simply because I just don't give the "average NFL fan" that much credit for being knowledgeable.

Take your average stupid person- then realize HALF of them are stupider!
We say this every year. "Show me don't tell me"
Share 49ersWebzone