There are 276 users in the forums

Brandon Jones RELEASED

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Seattle prob only wants him so they can pump info from him, because the west knows who the team is to beat 2010 nfc west champs our 49ers
if they only get this loser to get info from him theyre pretty pathetic. i guess scotty wasnt paying attention to anything last year because hes been here for a while too.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by TitsMcgee:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
I know this is off the subject but the next guy that should get cut is Travis Laboy he's another Jones waiting to happend we dont need to keep him around for a year like we did we Jones

NEXT UP MIKE....... LABOY
PLEASE!!!!

At least give the guy a few preseason games first.

Is Alex Smith given a few preseason games before a pansh*tter like yourself starts wetting the bed and making panic posts?

The double standard continues...

Are you insane, Alex has been given 5 years. That's more time then any other first round bust.

That is irrelevant. The point is, due to 1 bad game in preseason, you started mocking Smith's performance and laughing at it, yet don't give Laboy the same treatment.

Say it with me folks....

Double Standard! A recurring theme on the Webzone with the ACP!( ass clown patrol.)

Look here Tits its not cool to be calling people names. You think your cool calling people ass clowns ?

Also Alex has been given every chance to prove himself and he has never done it. But I don't even care about that, comparing to Travis Laboy is just plane stupid.

Don't wait for a response...he's BANNED!

I just seen this today this chump got all worked up for something simple

good thing hes looooooooooong gone

CYA WOULDNT WANNA BYA!!!

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
if they only get this loser to get info from him theyre pretty pathetic. i guess scotty wasnt paying attention to anything last year because hes been here for a while too.

Scotty is prob passed out drunk so they got balmer and jones to give them details "pretty pathetic" agreed
I wonder if Josh Morgan would have coveted this much attention after being cut. A part of me doubts it. I think we cut one of the more talented receivers on the team, but to be fair, he couldn't stay healthy and that made it hard to do anything other than cut him.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
I wonder if Josh Morgan would have coveted this much attention after being cut. A part of me doubts it. I think we cut one of the more talented receivers on the team, but to be fair, he couldn't stay healthy and that made it hard to do anything other than cut him.

Yeah I think it's the injuries that really did him in. Still, I'm surprised to see the level of interest that he's receiving. I think it's got to mean something.

I personally wish him the best and will be keeping an eye on him. We definitely shouldn't have been using him as a PR. I still don't know why we were doing so this past training camp.

-9fA
Originally posted by 49ersrgolden:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by 49ersrgolden:
Originally posted by PTulini:
mattbarrows: Brandon Jones is visiting -- you guessed it -- Seattle today.

mattbarrows: Vikings and Raiders are also interested in Jones, according to agent. That means 49ers might see him again in the preseason ...

Would anyone care to explain why we didn't trade BJones to one of these three interested teams since he was under contract (and overpaid, too)? Would we have to absorb more of a cap hit in a trade vs. release? I don't quite understand which would've been better. TIA.

Thats a good question why dident they trade ?

Because no one in their right mind would trade for him with that existing contract.

Good point 5 million one catch in a game thats freakin crazy i can do that for 5000 pay me mr york

But it was an AWESOME catch! And I'd do it for $4995.

But really, it was what...5 yr/$16 mil contract? Since we paid about $5 mil up front, that leaves $11 mil. divided by five yrs which is a little over $2 mil. per year avg. I guess it's too much for an injury-prone WR, but you gotta wonder if they made any calls (like they did with Balmer) before releasing him.
Ziggy is lookin good his catches kinda remind me of brandon lloyd but hes taller and and faster than lloyd
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Yeah I think it's the injuries that really did him in. Still, I'm surprised to see the level of interest that he's receiving. I think it's got to mean something.

I personally wish him the best and will be keeping an eye on him. We definitely shouldn't have been using him as a PR. I still don't know why we were doing so this past training camp.

-9fA

As much as I love Singletary and appreciate having him as coach, I doubt some of his decisions with our personnel, and I think my greatest doubts are now with how we are using our receiver corps.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I know this is off the subject but the next guy that should get cut is Travis Laboy he's another Jones waiting to happend we dont need to keep him around for a year like we did we Jones

NEXT UP MIKE....... LABOY
PLEASE!!!!

At least give the guy a few preseason games first.

Is Alex Smith given a few preseason games before a pansh*tter like yourself starts wetting the bed and making panic posts?

The double standard continues...

Are you insane, Alex has been given 5 years. That's more time then any other first round bust.

That is irrelevant. The point is, due to 1 bad game in preseason, you started mocking Smith's performance and laughing at it, yet don't give Laboy the same treatment.

Say it with me folks....

Double Standard! A recurring theme on the Webzone with the ACP!( ass clown patrol.)

Look here Tits its not cool to be calling people names. You think your cool calling people ass clowns ?

Also Alex has been given every chance to prove himself and he has never done it. But I don't even care about that, comparing to Travis Laboy is just plane stupid.

Don't wait for a response...he's BANNED!

I just seen this today this chump got all worked up for something simple

good thing hes looooooooooong gone

CYA WOULDNT WANNA BYA!!!

Im sure he will be back under a different name.

-9fA

As much as I love Singletary and appreciate having him as coach, I doubt some of his decisions with our personnel, and I think my greatest doubts are now with how we are using our receiver corps.

I don't agree that Jones was one of the most talented WRs on the team. He was a Scotty signing for WAY too much money. The coaches didn't want him to begin with. Seems the writing was on the wall, and pretty clearly written.

I have no doubt he and Bruce would have been the starting receivers day one would he not have broken his shoulder in camp. It seems most of the beat writers were feeling the same way up until that point in the preseason...
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

-9fA

I don't agree that Jones was one of the most talented WRs on the team. He was a Scotty signing for WAY too much money. The coaches didn't want him to begin with. Seems the writing was on the wall, and pretty clearly written.

When eight or so teams want to see you the day after you're cut, it speaks volumes. And remember, we don't really have any distinguished receiving threats on this team after Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think this means we'll keep 5 receivers, and 4 tailbacks so we retain M-Rob's special teams skill set.

WR - Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Hill, Williams
RB - Gore, Westbrook, Dixon, Robinson

If we go 5 WRs this year, I have a feeling Hill won't make it on our roster. I see:

WR - Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Zeigler and Williams.

Zeigler and Williams have the edge on Hill because of their special teams skills, plus Zeigler seems comfortable at every WR position (flanker, split-end and slot), which gives the roster that much more flexibility. That said, I think we go 6 Wrs to start the year, with Hill being on the bubble as the season goes on.

Huh? Zeigler has proved to have ZERO ST value. He can't return punts or kickoffs and is worthless on coverage as well. Hill on the other hand has been great on ST, both coverage and blocking. Take a look at what's going on.

Eh, he is getting some work...

mattbarrows

Ginn, Guillory and Zeigler back for kick-return drills

I think it is more telling that Sullivan uses Zeigler as an example of how to run routes.

So they are giving him another shot now that the two that were (Williams and Jones) are not with the team (Williams being out for at least three weeks). They have to have someone back there. They tired Zeigler at both positions the last two TC's and in preseason games and it was a disaster.

Hill has made plays in real NFL games on special teams. Ya, not with the ball in his hands, but they were still important plays.

Zeigler can return punts in a pinch

All actual evidence is to the contrary.

Hill has done some good things as well on offense, I'm not saying he's a complete scrub at all. But he's shown no ability to return kicks or punts (unlike Zeigler), which has a higher premium than just being on special teams making tackles.

What are you talking about? We've seen Zeigler try punt returns and kick returns two preseasons (+ one PS game this year) and he's proved nothing except he's unreliable. Fielding one punt for 11 yards against the Colts last Sunday didn't really change anything.

He also NEVER returned a punt in college and had three kick returns, for an average of 1 yard per return. That isn't saying Hill would have any value there (we have no idea) but he did return a couple punts in college and has a 17.5 yard per return average. I'm not saying either of them is the answer there, only that there is nothing to even give the idea that Zeigler can be a competent kick/punt returner.

If we need someone "in a pinch" Reggie Smith should be the 1st candidate IMO. He returned a total of 100 punts and kickoffs in college with some decent (or better) averages and even returned one for a TD. There is no reason to keep trying this failed Zeigler experiment for a fourth year in a row.

Not sure why you didn't quote my entire post. Here's part of my post that adds context to the 2 sentences that you chose to quote:

Quote:

Here's what you don't understand or comprehend. When it comes to the guys on the end of the bench, they don't have to be superstars...they just have to be reliable (be as productive as possible when called upon) and show some versatility (special teams and ideally, be able to play multiple positions on offense/defense).

Zeigler is not a great punter returner...he's probably not even a good punt returner, but he's shown that he can handle the job if called upon. He's also shown that he can produce on offense, and according to many reports this camp, has the respect and trust of the QBs when it comes to running routes. Not only that, but he's shown he can play (again, not at a superstar level because that's not realistic, but at a respectable level) multiple WR positions.

What you also don't get is that the coaches and the 49er beat reporters (who are there at the practices seeing what's going on first-hand) seem to have a much different opinion of Zeigler than you do.

Quote:
Singletary, however, said he's not sure how much more he wants to see of Ted Ginn at punt returner. Ginn has gotten extensive playing time at receiver and Singletary said the 49ers want him to concentrate more on kick returns than punt returns. He said others would be worked into the punt-return game. The only one he mentioned was Dominique Zeigler, whom the 49ers would like to see land a prominent special teams role.

Quote:

http://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/20989923447

Brandon Jones and Jason Hill are out. In my mind, Dominique Zeigler has clearly been among 49ers top 4 WRs in training camp.

9:51 AM Aug 12th via txt
Retweeted by 2 people

Quote:
Aug. 11, 2010
MAIOCCO ARCHIVE
49ERS PAGE | 49ERS VIDEO

Read more: Maiocco: Zeigler Has Jump Out on Practice Field
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

SANTA CLARA -- With the 49ers' first exhibition game three days away, receiver Dominique Zeigler has put himself in position to win a roster spot.

The guy has done everything right. Today, he continued to make fantastic leaping catches -- utilizing his jumping ability that made him a track star. (He high-jumped 7-foot-2, and he long-jumped 25-10.) He also is taking care of the detailed work, such as running precise routes, and showing up every day and working hard.

Brandon Jones has been out since Aug. 7 with a hamstring strain. Jason Hill was limited today with a hamstring strain, though he did see some work in 11-on-11. It appears as if Zeigler has passed both of those players on the depth chart. He is lining up primarily at split end, but he can also play flanker and the slot.

Now, maybe you know more about this stuff than Coach Singletary and MM, that's always a possibility. However, I tend to give more creedence to coaches and reporters who are there on the scene, watching these guys practice and play in person.

But that's just me.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 19, 2010 at 13:13:11 ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think this means we'll keep 5 receivers, and 4 tailbacks so we retain M-Rob's special teams skill set.

WR - Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Hill, Williams
RB - Gore, Westbrook, Dixon, Robinson

If we go 5 WRs this year, I have a feeling Hill won't make it on our roster. I see:

WR - Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Zeigler and Williams.

Zeigler and Williams have the edge on Hill because of their special teams skills, plus Zeigler seems comfortable at every WR position (flanker, split-end and slot), which gives the roster that much more flexibility. That said, I think we go 6 Wrs to start the year, with Hill being on the bubble as the season goes on.

Huh? Zeigler has proved to have ZERO ST value. He can't return punts or kickoffs and is worthless on coverage as well. Hill on the other hand has been great on ST, both coverage and blocking. Take a look at what's going on.

Eh, he is getting some work...

mattbarrows

Ginn, Guillory and Zeigler back for kick-return drills

I think it is more telling that Sullivan uses Zeigler as an example of how to run routes.

So they are giving him another shot now that the two that were (Williams and Jones) are not with the team (Williams being out for at least three weeks). They have to have someone back there. They tired Zeigler at both positions the last two TC's and in preseason games and it was a disaster.

Hill has made plays in real NFL games on special teams. Ya, not with the ball in his hands, but they were still important plays.

Zeigler can return punts in a pinch

All actual evidence is to the contrary.

Hill has done some good things as well on offense, I'm not saying he's a complete scrub at all. But he's shown no ability to return kicks or punts (unlike Zeigler), which has a higher premium than just being on special teams making tackles.

What are you talking about? We've seen Zeigler try punt returns and kick returns two preseasons (+ one PS game this year) and he's proved nothing except he's unreliable. Fielding one punt for 11 yards against the Colts last Sunday didn't really change anything.

He also NEVER returned a punt in college and had three kick returns, for an average of 1 yard per return. That isn't saying Hill would have any value there (we have no idea) but he did return a couple punts in college and has a 17.5 yard per return average. I'm not saying either of them is the answer there, only that there is nothing to even give the idea that Zeigler can be a competent kick/punt returner.

If we need someone "in a pinch" Reggie Smith should be the 1st candidate IMO. He returned a total of 100 punts and kickoffs in college with some decent (or better) averages and even returned one for a TD. There is no reason to keep trying this failed Zeigler experiment for a fourth year in a row.

Not sure why you didn't quote my entire post. Here's part of my post that adds context to the 2 sentences that you chose to quote:

Quote:

Here's what you don't understand or comprehend. When it comes to the guys on the end of the bench, they don't have to be superstars...they just have to be reliable (be as productive as possible when called upon) and show some versatility (special teams and ideally, be able to play multiple positions on offense/defense).

Zeigler is not a great punter returner...he's probably not even a good punt returner, but he's shown that he can handle the job if called upon. He's also shown that he can produce on offense, and according to many reports this camp, has the respect and trust of the QBs when it comes to running routes. Not only that, but he's shown he can play (again, not at a superstar level because that's not realistic, but at a respectable level) multiple WR positions.

What you also don't get is that the coaches and the 49er beat reporters (who are there at the practices seeing what's going on first-hand) seem to have a much different opinion of Zeigler than you do.

Quote:
Singletary, however, said he's not sure how much more he wants to see of Ted Ginn at punt returner. Ginn has gotten extensive playing time at receiver and Singletary said the 49ers want him to concentrate more on kick returns than punt returns. He said others would be worked into the punt-return game. The only one he mentioned was Dominique Zeigler, whom the 49ers would like to see land a prominent special teams role.

Quote:
Aug. 11, 2010
MAIOCCO ARCHIVE
49ERS PAGE | 49ERS VIDEO

Read more: Maiocco: Zeigler Has Jump Out on Practice Field
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

SANTA CLARA -- With the 49ers' first exhibition game three days away, receiver Dominique Zeigler has put himself in position to win a roster spot.

The guy has done everything right. Today, he continued to make fantastic leaping catches -- utilizing his jumping ability that made him a track star. (He high-jumped 7-foot-2, and he long-jumped 25-10.) He also is taking care of the detailed work, such as running precise routes, and showing up every day and working hard.

Brandon Jones has been out since Aug. 7 with a hamstring strain. Jason Hill was limited today with a hamstring strain, though he did see some work in 11-on-11. It appears as if Zeigler has passed both of those players on the depth chart. He is lining up primarily at split end, but he can also play flanker and the slot.

Now, maybe you know more about this stuff than Coach Singletary and MM, that's always a possibility. However, I tend to give more creedence to coaches and reporters who are there on the scene, watching these guys practice and play in person.

But that's just me.

Because I was responding specifically to one thing you said. That Ziegler has proven to have worth as a return man, and Hill hasn't. I explained that Zeigler has proved no such thing (with facts/stats) because he hasn't.

As far as the other quotes. They prove only that Zeigler is getting reps due to injury, and they would also like him to become valuable on ST. Not that he has shown anything there. You're reading WAY too much into it.
Share 49ersWebzone