Shop Find 49ers gear online
Good
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think this means we'll keep 5 receivers, and 4 tailbacks so we retain M-Rob's special teams skill set.

WR - Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Hill, Williams
RB - Gore, Westbrook, Dixon, Robinson

If we go 5 WRs this year, I have a feeling Hill won't make it on our roster. I see:

WR - Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Zeigler and Williams.

Zeigler and Williams have the edge on Hill because of their special teams skills, plus Zeigler seems comfortable at every WR position (flanker, split-end and slot), which gives the roster that much more flexibility. That said, I think we go 6 Wrs to start the year, with Hill being on the bubble as the season goes on.

Huh? Zeigler has proved to have ZERO ST value. He can't return punts or kickoffs and is worthless on coverage as well. Hill on the other hand has been great on ST, both coverage and blocking. Take a look at what's going on.

Eh, he is getting some work...

mattbarrows

Ginn, Guillory and Zeigler back for kick-return drills

I think it is more telling that Sullivan uses Zeigler as an example of how to run routes.

Well he needs to find someone to show them how to catch.

Every training camp, Zeigler's hands have been damn good, if i recall correctly. Really, I think Zeigler makes the team this year. I think the 49ers take six WRs.
Crabtree
Morgan
Ginn
Williams
Zeigler
Hill

Remember, Hill hasn't exactly engraciated himself with the coaches either.
I think this means we'll keep 5 receivers, and 4 tailbacks so we retain M-Rob's special teams skill set.

If we go 5 WRs this year, I have a feeling Hill won't make it on our roster. I see:

Zeigler and Williams have the edge on Hill because of their special teams skills, plus Zeigler seems comfortable at every WR position (flanker, split-end and slot), which gives the roster that much more flexibility. That said, I think we go 6 Wrs to start the year, with Hill being on the bubble as the season goes on.

Huh? Zeigler has proved to have ZERO ST value. He can't return punts or kickoffs and is worthless on coverage as well. Hill on the other hand has been great on ST, both coverage and blocking. Take a look at what's going on.

mattbarrows

I think it is more telling that Sullivan uses Zeigler as an example of how to run routes.

So they are giving him another shot now that the two that were (Williams and Jones) are not with the team (Williams being out for at least three weeks). They have to have someone back there. They tired Zeigler at both positions the last two TC's and in preseason games and it was a disaster.

Hill has made plays in real NFL games on special teams. Ya, not with the ball in his hands, but they were still important plays.
Originally posted by baybreaker707:

This is exactly what I said, well not exactly. Yeah I don't get what people are seeing here. If Hill gets cut, Seattle will jump on him immediately. Imagine him and TJ against our 2ndary along with their up and coming TE. Man I would hate for that to happen. If it does, we'll at least get to see what Hill has, but I'd rather not see it in that fashion.

Haven't really been seeing reports of Hill torching the scrubs in TC now... what makes you think he would be such a threat to our starters? (Should he be cut, and picked up by Seahawks)

I've seen him do great on ST and show up when he actually gets a shot on offense. I've also seen Zeigler on ST coverage and man it doesn't look pretty.

mattbarrows

So they are giving him another shot now that the two that were (Williams and Jones) are not with the team (Williams being out for at least three weeks). They have to have someone back there. They tired Zeigler at both positions the last two TC's and in preseason games and it was a disaster.

Hill has made plays in real NFL games on special teams. Ya, not with the ball in his hands, but they were still important plays.

Williams is the punt returner as well as WR, I'm pretty sure he makes the team.
Zeigler can return punts in a pinch, but he is having another good camp and I think he has earned a WR spot.
Hill, I think can be a good WR, and I think will make the team too. He needs to do a better job of showing his abilities in practice though. Hard to convince the coaches you deserve more playing time if you don't look good in practice.

mattbarrows

Zeigler can return punts in a pinch

All actual evidence is to the contrary.
mattbarrows

Brandon Jones is visiting -- you guessed it -- Seattle today.

mattbarrows

Well, they have him practicing at it. More of an emergency situational punt returner. From what i've seen, it looks like Williams is the best for that job.
mattbarrows

Seahawks love our trash

Scotty Mac Loves our Trash*

[ Edited by FriscoFitted on Aug 19, 2010 at 10:28:23 ]

1 catch for 18 yards in his niners career he robbed us.....as for Jason Hill, that crack-back block he layed on Jamie Silva last week was visious....personally I like Jason Hill.
Originally posted by FriscoFitted:
mattbarrows

Seahawks love our trash

Scotty Mac Loves our Trash*

hes not trash he is a good player only problem is he is never on the field not that im unhappy about this move i want Z to get his spot even if he was on the team

mattbarrows

Williams is the punt returner as well as WR, I'm pretty sure he makes the team.
Zeigler can return punts in a pinch, but he is having another good camp and I think he has earned a WR spot.
Hill, I think can be a good WR, and I think will make the team too. He needs to do a better job of showing his abilities in practice though. Hard to convince the coaches you deserve more playing time if you don't look good in practice.

Crabtree didn't show anything in TC last year because of his hold out and was still thrown in the starting line-up the first time he hit the field. Now if Hill was given that same opportunity, I don't see him as someone being in a conversation about making the team or not.

mattbarrows

Well, they have him practicing at it.
More of an emergency situational punt returner. From what i've seen, it looks like Williams is the best for that job.

Because they don't have anyone else to do it. They had him try it in 08' and 09' too and we saw how that worked. With Williams out, no Jones, they have to have other guys do it in practice for the time being but he's proved to have no value at that position so far in his NFL career.

mattbarrows

You must've missed the game on Sunday.

Here's what you don't understand or comprehend. When it comes to the guys on the end of the bench, they don't have to be superstars...they just have to be reliable (be as productive as possible when called upon) and show some versatility (special teams and ideally, be able to play multiple positions on offense/defense).

Zeigler is not a great punter returner...he's probably not even a good punt returner, but he's shown that he can handle the job if called upon. He's also shown that he can produce on offense, and according to many reports this camp, has the respect and trust of the QBs when it comes to running routes. Not only that, but he's shown he can play (again, not at a superstar level because that's not realistic, but at a respectable level) multiple WR positions.

Hill has done some good things as well on offense, I'm not saying he's a complete scrub at all. But he's shown no ability to return kicks or punts (unlike Zeigler), which has a higher premium than just being on special teams making tackles. He also hasn't shown the ability to play multiple positions at WR, thus reducing his value a little bit.

All I'm saying is, if it comes down to keeping one guy over another, USUALLY, teams will go with the guy that can add value on special teams AND that has position versatility.

I won't be mad at all if they chose Hill over Zeigler since I like them both...I just don't think they will (if it came down to the two of them). But we'll see in September.
Share 49ersWebzone