LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 488 users in the forums

How does the Westbrook addition change our offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think a natural way to split carries would be to have Westbrook in for single back shotgun formations, and Gore primarily for all other formations.

This seems like it would achieve both a nice 70/30 split in carries and cater to their relative strengths simultaneously.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Method:
What's with all the spamming of gifs in threads now? The f**k is going on in this forum?

For shame Stoney, I thought better of you.

It's a metaphor for what our current offense will say to opposing defenses.

yeah, mine means we now have a swagger about us

And did Method just make reference to NT being an upstanding Forum where proper debate and logic is followed?
What's with all the spamming of gifs in threads now? The f**k is going on in this forum?

And did Method just make reference to NT being an upstanding Forum where proper debate and logic is followed?

You posted an image from lakersground.net, just stop posting in Niner Talk already. f**k the lakers.

You posted an image from lakersground.net, just stop posting in Niner Talk already. f**k the lakers.

You and the homies coming to any games this year?
actually yeah. i'm trying to get saints tickets but we definitely goin to the raiders game. i'll try to come through the tailgate again
actually yeah. i'm trying to get saints tickets but we definitely goin to the raiders game. i'll try to come through the tailgate again

I'll have special treats for you if you do. And then we'll watch the new Niner offense featuring 2 RB sets with Gore and Westbrook putting a hurting on any who stand in their way.
MOTION WESTBROOK TO WIDEOUT AND STREAK IT !!!!
It changes our offense by getting M-Rob the f**k out of there.

I'll have special treats for you if you do. And then we'll watch the new Niner offense featuring 2 RB sets with Gore and Westbrook putting a hurting on any who stand in their way.

mmmmmmm....treats.....i love treats...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No change. He won't be used much.

i disagree. if healthy, he will be used in key situations

• Stuuk
  • Veteran
Here's what Mike Sando had to say about it:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/21462/how-brian-westbrook-changes-the-49ers

Quote:
A quick call to Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. helped advance the discussion on Brian Westbrook's addition to the San Francisco 49ers. Matt was leaving Pittsburgh Steelers training camp when I reached him Monday afternoon, not long after the 49ers announced Westbrook's signing. His take:

"I'd rather have Westbrook than Glen Coffee. I didn't think Coffee was a very good player. Maybe he knew that. He was very much a straight-line banger. Coffee was not a good enough No. 2, and they probably knew that with the drafting of Anthony Dixon, and then the kid retired.

"Westbrook clearly is a big upgrade as a pass catcher, and you cannot overlook that in any way. They say they want to be a heavy run team, and that is all well and good, but whether you like it or not, Alex Smith is the most important guy on that team. He is a quarterback most comfortable working out of the spread, and you have to cater to him. Just because you draft two big offensive linemen doesn't mean you have to pound the ball over and over and over. You need to do three-wides and use spread principles, and Westbrook fits that very well. He is an excellent pass protector. He also compliments Gore very well.

"Gore is a workhorse, but he is also injured a lot. You need someone like Westbrook to give you two games at a time, and I think he can probably still do that. Watching him, he is still a good football player. It comes down to what your team doctors say. If they say he's a liability with a knee, ankle or head, you cannot sign him. But apparently a handful of team doctors do not think it's an issue. This is a very good signing. The 49ers are a contender. If I were him, I'd much rather go there than to St. Louis or Washington. It adds up on all fields."

There were times last season when the 49ers' offense didn't seem to fit Smith and Gore at the same time. Gore preferred running out of the I-formation. Smith was more comfortable when the 49ers favored spread-type principles. While it's important for Smith and Gore to coexist in that context, Westbrook's addition could make it easier for the 49ers to more fully embrace a wider-open offense when it suits them. And if Gore stays fresher and healthier as a result, he comes out ahead, too.

I think that Sando has hit the nail on the head here.
Westbrook just takes the offence to another level.

you going to be at the Raiders game Stoney? Pregame blunt sesh FTW
He would be perfect if we run the spread offense but I don't think you will see very much of the spread offense unless we are down big in games.

Basically we got a guy who 2yrs ago was one of the 5 best RB's in the NFL as a backup. Even last year before he got the 2nd concussion, he was playing solid football. I see him getting maybe 2-4, 5 carries a game and a catch or two out of the backfield and lining up in the slot. But bottom line is we got a proven RB who can take over for a few games if Gore goes down and Gore is good to miss a game or two every season.
Will/can Jimmy Raye be creative enough to get the most out of Westbrook and even use Gore-Westbrook on the field together for some plays.

Also don't discount Westbrook's value in terms of leadership (was known as the Eagles offensive leader, not McNabb) and also his playoff, championship game and super bowl experience as we barely have any guys who have ever made the playoffs, let alone make a championship game or superbowl.
Share 49ersWebzone