LISTEN: 49ers Draft Hits And Misses With ESPN's Matt Miller →

There are 96 users in the forums

How does the Westbrook addition change our offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Was thinking that since Westbrook has proven to be a spread offense back, we can now change from one offense to another without having to worry about appeasing Gore?

[ Edited by Method on Aug 16, 2010 at 21:54:29 ]
No change. He won't be used much.
Here's what Mike Sando had to say about it:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/21462/how-brian-westbrook-changes-the-49ers

Quote:
A quick call to Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. helped advance the discussion on Brian Westbrook's addition to the San Francisco 49ers. Matt was leaving Pittsburgh Steelers training camp when I reached him Monday afternoon, not long after the 49ers announced Westbrook's signing. His take:

"I'd rather have Westbrook than Glen Coffee. I didn't think Coffee was a very good player. Maybe he knew that. He was very much a straight-line banger. Coffee was not a good enough No. 2, and they probably knew that with the drafting of Anthony Dixon, and then the kid retired.

"Westbrook clearly is a big upgrade as a pass catcher, and you cannot overlook that in any way. They say they want to be a heavy run team, and that is all well and good, but whether you like it or not, Alex Smith is the most important guy on that team. He is a quarterback most comfortable working out of the spread, and you have to cater to him. Just because you draft two big offensive linemen doesn't mean you have to pound the ball over and over and over. You need to do three-wides and use spread principles, and Westbrook fits that very well. He is an excellent pass protector. He also compliments Gore very well.

"Gore is a workhorse, but he is also injured a lot. You need someone like Westbrook to give you two games at a time, and I think he can probably still do that. Watching him, he is still a good football player. It comes down to what your team doctors say. If they say he's a liability with a knee, ankle or head, you cannot sign him. But apparently a handful of team doctors do not think it's an issue. This is a very good signing. The 49ers are a contender. If I were him, I'd much rather go there than to St. Louis or Washington. It adds up on all fields."

There were times last season when the 49ers' offense didn't seem to fit Smith and Gore at the same time. Gore preferred running out of the I-formation. Smith was more comfortable when the 49ers favored spread-type principles. While it's important for Smith and Gore to coexist in that context, Westbrook's addition could make it easier for the 49ers to more fully embrace a wider-open offense when it suits them. And if Gore stays fresher and healthier as a result, he comes out ahead, too.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No change. He won't be used much.

I think if we use him in dual-back sets with Frank Gore, we can really confuse defenses. 2 RBs, 3 WR sets would be nasty. How about Gore, Westbrook, VD, Crabtree, and Ginn out there at the same time??

I think we use him in 3rd and long situations for pass blocking, viable option out of the backfield. Spread formations will most likely be utilized with him in them. Raye has a new toy to play with! Hopefully he uses him!
One thing... Please stop using Delanie Walker, and use 3 WR's. Please. I f**king hate that Two WR, Two TE Spread offense set we have. Delanie is trash.
This is a good question and it relates to how Raye is going to use ALL the offensive talent he now has, including Westbrook. Will he, or can he, really utilize what we have to full advantage, or will he just stick to his prehistoric philosophy? A primo offensive mind could have a field day with opposing D's with these weapons! I await the answers with a mixture of excitement and trepidation!
Originally posted by Method:
One thing... Please stop using Delanie Walker, and use 3 WR's. Please. I f**king hate that Two WR, Two TE Spread offense set we have. Delanie is trash.

I like Delanie but I agree, Most of the time they looked his way last season something bad happend either he fumbled or ran wrong routes or it was picked off. I sure hope he got his Sh*t together this year.
probably stretches it from 6 plays that Raye uses to like 8.
...so if you're asking from a percentage standpoint, increases by 33 percent...buttttt relative to the colts playbook, not much.

Agreed! We have some wrs finally. Use them!

And I see what SD is saying since the niners hardly use anyone other than gore when he's healthy. Someone needs to tell Jimmy raye that both of them in the backfield at the same time would be a great idea.
I dont think it changes it much it just gives us another option.

What's with all the spamming of gifs in threads now? The f**k is going on in this forum?

For shame Stoney, I thought better of you.

[ Edited by Method on Aug 16, 2010 at 22:14:29 ]
What's with all the spamming of gifs in threads now? The f**k is going on in this forum?

It's a metaphor for what our current offense will say to opposing defenses.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

It's a metaphor for what our current offense will say to opposing defenses.

yeah, mine means we now have a swagger about us
Share 49ersWebzone