LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

The signing of Brian Westbrook... LOVE IT or HATE IT?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The signing of Brian Westbrook... LOVE IT or HATE IT?

I can't say that I love it. But I definitely don't hate it. If I had my choice between McNabb or Westbrook though? I would take Westbrook in a second over McNabb. Westbrook helped McNabb more than the other way round

My only isssue is the injuries. If he can help us and the injuries are not an issue this year then cool. But if they become an issue, then he took up a roster spot for nothing. But at least he's not gone to a division opponent. Shocking that we even got him imho, with all the speculation of him going to the Rams. For whatever reason that would have been. Nobody speculating even gave a valid reason as far as i know.

I think however that as much as people seem to think MRob hasn't shown us anything that this will be a good chance to show what he can do. He definitely would have gotten more of a chance to had we not gotten Westbrook.

I do have to say though that Westbrook gives us a proven if aging player on his last legs so he brings something to the table that neither Coffee or Dixon has. Before someone snaps and has a fit, MRob has shown that he can at least fill a spot on the ST list and can fill in as an emergency Back should some freak injuries occur. People need to keep in mind that one ST spot filled means that Starters don't fill that spot and get injured needlessly. Which means a guy like Westbrook won't be playing ST.

~Ceadder
sex
The 49ers have never had a backfield this deep since Gore has been on the team. If you don't applaud the Brian Westbrook signing you don't know your football.
Solid move, no risk.
A very solid pickup, the type of moves that playoff and championship contenders make, IMO. It is pretty much no risk and now we have a proven RB behind Frank Gore.
love it. ive always liked Westbrook alot, and he brings alot to the table.

plus he isnt that far removed from being a superstar. even if hes on his way out, i still think its awesome hes a Niner.
westbrook gives us plenty of speed and another receiving threat along with his rushing ability. great signing! it also makes us a very dangerous team on madden!
Many of you probably are not old enough to remember when this team traded for someone who many said was a no brainer etc.

Let's see how it plays out. I'm not against the signing but we could have another OJ on our hands. NFL scenario implications only. For all we know he's old and washed up and better off retired. Not saying that he is but he COULD be.

~Ceadder
Also brings some veteran leadership and much needed playoff and championship game experience. I think Dixon will be a player but the team is still worried about him in pass protection picking up blitzes, if god forbid he had to replace Gore full-time. Westbrook is as good as it gets picking up the blitz despite his size. MRob is pretty good at picking up the blitz but he is worthless as a runner.

I really think Westbrook is going to give us a nice jolt on offense (4-6 carries, 2-3recs a game) and overall for the team.
Awesome move!!! Not sure how you can't like it. Dixon looks great so far and Westbrook if healthy is a top 5 back in the league. Most >30 free agents have injury concerns so this isn't a first.

Go Niners!

Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Many of you probably are not old enough to remember when this team traded for someone who many said was a no brainer etc.

Let's see how it plays out. I'm not against the signing but we could have another OJ on our hands. NFL scenario implications only. For all we know he's old and washed up and better off retired. Not saying that he is but he COULD be.

~Ceadder

i wasnt born when that trade happened but this isnt a trade and there is nothing to lose with picking up westbrook so its not even close to the same thing. this guy was a top 5 back a couple years ago, im down to have him as Franks backup. in two back sets we'll have two very good pass catching RBS to go with our WRs and TE. thats a lot of fire power for Smith to have at his disposal.
Glenn Coffee did the team the biggest favor retiring allowing Dixon to get more snaps and us being able to add Westbrook.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

~Ceadder

i wasnt born when that trade happened but this isnt a trade and there is nothing to lose with picking up westbrook so its not even close to the same thing. this guy was a top 5 back a couple years ago, im down to have him as Franks backup. in two back sets we'll have two very good pass catching RBS to go with our WRs and TE. thats a lot of fire power for Smith to have at his disposal.

You're right, it's not the same thing at all. OJ was brought in to carry the franchise whereas Westbrook is being brought in to spell Frank Gore. As far as RB depth we now are as deep as anyone in the league save the Miami Dolphins and they're so deep they don't have a QB.

~Ceadder

nah, hes not totally useless yet. he isnt that far removed from his glory days. imo Westbrook is still a better player than Coffee was at this point.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Love it. Mad props go to Baalke. Just 4 days ago we had 2 key role players go AWOL unexpectedly. It looked like things were about to fall apart. Now we have a well rested All-Pro vet and a extra 6th round pick and by the looks of our last 2 6th rounders, I'd say we got the better end of the deal.

As for Westbrook, three headed monster baby.

Gore - Do I really need to explain this to 9er fans?
Westbrook - Dual threat out of the back field. What Reggie Bush was supposed to be. May not be the Westbrook of 2006 but he will definitely be effective as a change of pace back.
Dixon - We already saw his power mixed with his quickness. My only worry is that we let him slide like we did Kory Sheets just to let Robinson have another shot. I hope he gets a good amount of carries against the Vikes 1st D(good run D) so we can see him against some better quality opponents.

[ Edited by TheNef77 on Aug 17, 2010 at 03:51:49 ]
Share 49ersWebzone